Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2018 21:12
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
This Is America is incredibly overrated as a song and is a deserved exclusion. Good video, but it's not a list of best videos.

A-fucking-men. I felt like I was the only one in the world (well, my region of the United States) who felt like this.

Also I am legitimately shocked at Beach House's placement in the top albums list (#20). I thought Beach House was Pitchfork bread and butter.
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2018 22:01
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:
A-fucking-men. I felt like I was the only one in the world (well, my region of the United States) who felt like this.

Also I am legitimately shocked at Beach House's placement in the top albums list (#20). I thought Beach House was Pitchfork bread and butter.

I think the song is meh maybe a little above meh but the video is striking and any video of the year award it should probably win, although i confess to not having seen a ton of videos from this year.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/11/2018 22:10
  • Post subject:

Link

Kodak finna drop AOTY. Put the lists on hold.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/12/2018 17:27
  • Post subject:
Was wondering about this yesterday and just happened to Google it on a lucky day:

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/el-p-says-...66559.html

Could see it dropping in a year's time.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/12/2018 17:38
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Was wondering about this yesterday and just happened to Google it on a lucky day:

I really don't get the appeal of RTJ. Every song sounds the same - it's just El-P and Mike spitting (admittedly adept) battle rap bars over dense, block rockin' festival-ready beats. OK, I do see the appeal of that, in fairness. But, seriously, why are they the indie blog's rap group du jour? It's all perfectly serviceable stuff, and I don't dislike their music at all, but could somebody please explain what it is that makes them so special and hype-worthy? Beyond, y'know, the initially abnormal but now accepted pairing of an experimental underground artist and hard-nosed Southern street rapper? I listen to every album and just think it sounds like a slightly more maximalist version of the one before.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2018 17:50
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Hayden wrote:

I really don't get the appeal of RTJ. Every song sounds the same - it's just El-P and Mike spitting (admittedly adept) battle rap bars over dense, block rockin' festival-ready beats. OK, I do see the appeal of that, in fairness. But, seriously, why are they the indie blog's rap group du jour? It's all perfectly serviceable stuff, and I don't dislike their music at all, but could somebody please explain what it is that makes them so special and hype-worthy? Beyond, y'know, the initially abnormal but now accepted pairing of an experimental underground artist and hard-nosed Southern street rapper? I listen to every album and just think it sounds like a slightly more maximalist version of the one before.

I actually like R.A.P. Music, their collaborative album before the first RTJ album a little better.

But that first RTJ album is an absolute banger. They also put on a really good live show, excellent chemistry between the two. I saw them shortly after the release of RTJ2, and it was a blast. Some of the openers were a bit trash though.

Now I have to listen to this while I'm thinking of it.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2018 17:56
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Hayden wrote:

They totally ROCK so even idiots like me can get it. And they're super funny. And hip. So much of what becomes popular is just related to exposure & repetition. I mean I know I listen (& enjoy!) completely different stuff just because I have young daughters and that exposures me through repeat plays to stuff I typically would have dismissed. Same with the rock canon. There are COUNTLESS great albums out there, but only so much of it hits the lottery and gets mass exposure. Has a lot to do with luck & timing. And then of course there r those rock-blockin' beats. lol.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/12/2018 17:57
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Skinny wrote:
Hayden wrote:

I actually like R.A.P. Music, their collaborative album before the first RTJ album a little better.

But that first RTJ album is an absolute banger. They also put on a really good live show, excellent chemistry between the two. I saw them shortly after the release of RTJ2, and it was a blast. Some of the openers were a bit trash though.

Now I have to listen to this while I'm thinking of it.

Link

Oh yeah, I think R.A.P. Music is fantastic, but the RTJ stuff just feels lower stakes and too much like it's built with festival shows in mind.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/14/2018 16:49
  • Post subject:
https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/12/10/t...18-100-81/

This has been an annual favourite of mine for the past few years... always find at least 10-15 albums from here I want to spin. Definitely a worthwhile list to comb through.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/14/2018 17:52
  • Post subject:
Don't say man didn't warn y'all, but the boy Kodak ain't fucking around. Album of the year material outchea. Get your priorities skraight in these skreets. Southern blassick. Broward County shit.