Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2019)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/23/2018 06:50
  • Post subject: Re: Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2018)
AfterHours wrote:
At some point... maybe soon?

I used to own it and another one of theirs (Follow the Leader I think ... in their mid-late 90's heyday) so I'm not unfamiliar with them. Sort of an embarrassing few months of my life, but I'll do my best to overcome the repercussions of such memories while revisiting! Laughing

What do you think of their debut?

It's brilliant, maybe even as good as, or better than, RATM. Scaruffi totally got this one right. Trust me, this is far from Limp Bizkit.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/23/2018 06:55
Facetious wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
At some point... maybe soon?

I used to own it and another one of theirs (Follow the Leader I think ... in their mid-late 90's heyday) so I'm not unfamiliar with them. Sort of an embarrassing few months of my life, but I'll do my best to overcome the repercussions of such memories while revisiting! Laughing

What do you think of their debut?

It's brilliant, maybe even as good as, or better than, RATM. Scaruffi totally got this one right. Trust me, this is far from Limp Bizkit.

Thank you, Ill probably revisit it either tonight or tomorrow.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/23/2018 10:12
  • Post subject:
Sing to God - Cardiacs (1995) Not Rated to 7.7/10

I've been wanting to rate this album for a while now. And I'm still not sure if this rating will hold, but it seems about right for the time being. One of those albums that the rating could shift dramatically...

What would happen if you combined the Dead Kennedys Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables + Van Der Graaf Generator's Pawn Hearts + Mars Volta, Frank Zappa and The Who's Rock Operas?

You would probably get Sing to God, which is in the running for the most audacious and spectacular album of all time.

If you're wondering: "Okay, so that's still not enough for a 10/10?" Fair question... The above being said, as amazing as Sing to God is, it ultimately doesn't seem to amount to much more than unrelenting spectacle (with a second half that seems to disintegrate itself), a never ending special effects bonanza (with the peak probably being the amazing Dog-Like Sparky). A very impressive work, but lacking something of the sense of a known and established purpose being carried out and articulated (plus a bit more consistency after its first half) that tends to make up most of the 7.8+ (and higher) works (even though I'm still not sure it might not join them on sheer force of will).
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/24/2018 00:38
Facetious wrote:

Thanks, I revisited it today. You're totally right: amazing album indeed (thankfully not Limp Bizkit! Laughing ). I would probably agree with you that it's better than RATM (a bit more advanced rhythmically & more theatrically/emotionally varied, which serves this style very well).

Though I should update that it won't be added to my "Greatest Hip Hop/Funk (etc)" list (if that was your original inference...?). Much too metal while too little on the funk/hip hop side of things (even though it echoes these genres, just not as much as RATM does with its more pronounced "rapping" vocals and highly focused "funk-metal" rhythmic violence).

But, of course, I promptly added it to my overall "Greatest Albums" list, deservedly so.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/24/2018 06:36
AfterHours wrote:
Though I should update that it won't be added to my "Greatest Hip Hop/Funk (etc)" list (if that was your original inference...?). Much too metal while too little on the funk/hip hop side of things (even though it echoes these genres, just not as much as RATM does with its more pronounced "rapping" vocals and highly focused "funk-metal" rhythmic violence).

No, I wasn't really thinking of that list.

It's probably time to listen to more groove/funk metal as well? Primus, Mr Bungle, Faith No More, Sepultura's Chaos AD and Roots (their earlier thrash stuff is excellent too), etc.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/24/2018 06:54
Facetious wrote:
No, I wasn't really thinking of that list.

It's probably time to listen to more groove/funk metal as well? Primus, Mr Bungle, Faith No More, Sepultura's Chaos AD and Roots (their earlier thrash stuff is excellent too), etc.

Ok cool, wasn't sure.

Probably, maybe, possibly -- so much to do!
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/26/2018 13:21
AfterHours wrote:
Thriller - Michael Jackson (1982) 6.4/10 to 6.6/10

Apart from a couple tracks, this is pretty solid, with enough classics to warrant a 6.8 at least imo.

Quote:
Aquarium - Aqua (1997) 6.0/10 to 6.5/10

Clearly a 9.3.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/26/2018 20:59
Facetious wrote:
Apart from a couple tracks, this is pretty solid, with enough classics to warrant a 6.8 at least imo.

Perhaps ... it's under consideration. It's superficiality is made into substance by its amazing production. The Girl is Mine is possibly the worst song of his career, worthy of Revolver (that last part is a joke Laughing ). I haven't decided if it sustains the qualitative momentum enough for 6.8+ but it's not far off either way.

Facetious wrote:
Aquarium - Aqua (1997) 6.0/10 to 6.5/10

Clearly a 9.3.

That's what I was thinking ... but then I realized I'd never live it down from Beatles fans Laughing Maybe one day it will surpass Faust in its satire of humanity. It's clearly more relevant to idiotic mainstream media-culture than Faust ever will be. It is the soundtrack to the Kardashian's/Jenner's lives -- or at least how the media portrays them.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/26/2018 21:06
  • Post subject:
New week underway ... First post, first page ... Currently focused on my genre lists (Rock, some Jazz) ... revisiting lots of albums and discovering some that are new to me here and there (notable example: Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence was surprisingly great) ... Also, I am still updating my Films list. See recent updates, with more on the way.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/26/2018 21:47
AfterHours wrote:
Perhaps ... it's under consideration. It's superficiality is made into substance by its amazing production. The Girl is Mine is possibly the worst song of his career, worthy of Revolver (that last part is a joke Laughing ). I haven't decided if it sustains the qualitative momentum enough for 6.8+ but it's not far off either way.

I'm pretty sure he has made much worse songs than The Girl is Mine. It's harmless fun, although yes, it can be quite cringe-worthy.
Btw, have you heard Off the Wall? Now that's a 6.6.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking ... but then I realized I'd never live it down from Beatles fans Laughing Maybe one day it will surpass Faust in its satire of humanity. It's clearly more relevant to idiotic mainstream media-culture than Faust ever will be. It is the soundtrack to the Kardashian's/Jenner's lives -- or at least how the media portrays them.

I'm not sure how this applies to the record apart from Barbie Girl?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website