Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2019)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/26/2018 16:01
  • Post subject:
New week (first post, first page) ... Revisiting Rock/Jazz including getting back to various albums Ive noted as having strong potential for an upgrade (Ys, Tago Mago, Ecology of Souls...). Finally got around to rating Jeanne Lee's Conspiracy (lots of room for error, probably will end up with a higher rating), and Frohmader's massive Through Time and Mystery (also room for error... so much to assimilate...)
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/02/2018 16:58
  • Post subject:
New week ... Mainly listening to a combo of Rock and Jazz revisits. A number of Jazz albums seem like they may be upgraded. Will also be getting around to some "newly assimilated" Rock and Jazz this week if I can find the time.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/09/2018 19:55
  • Post subject:
New week (first post, first page) ... I am going through various echelons of Rock, Jazz and Classical and re-evaluating the ratings, particularly the numerical values of "combined halves" listed on my criteria page, to ensure whether or not they are correct all the way up and down my lists. There will probably be some changes on the way in this regard (as I've said in other posts). Along with this, I am revisiting various Classical, Rock and Jazz simply because I am craving all three right now. These are the towering masterpieces of art as far as I am concerned and I urge anyone interested to follow suit. The rewards of experience/assimilation are difficult to adequately describe. I also have a couple films on deck that I should have ratings for in the near future: Tarr's The Turin Horse (mid evaluation), Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive (upcoming).
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/11/2018 04:26
  • Post subject:
I noticed you bolded Mahler's Symphony 9, it's super weird, the worst Mahler Symphony...
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/11/2018 05:36
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
I noticed you bolded Mahler's Symphony 9, it's super weird, the worst Mahler Symphony...

You've convinced me...

Liar

Laughing

In all seriousness, my ratings and rankings are not haphazardly drawn, so someone just making a passing comment/judgement such as this has literally zero chance whatsoever at getting me to reconsider my position (if that was your intention) -- especially with a singular masterpiece on the order of Mahler's 9th, a once-per-millenia accomplishment which could very well be 9.8/10+. The chances of a down grade from 9.7 are highly unlikely; an upgrade is a legitimate possibility Ive been mulling over, among upgrading some others.

I do agree with you that Mahler has multiple masterpieces though, and that one should not ignore the others, which you can see on my "Greatest Classical" list.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/11/2018 16:35
  • Post subject:
Nah, don't care what you put on this list, just wondering why you like it better than Mahler's 1st symphony, although neither are a once per millennia accomplishment, Jesus is a once per millennia accomplishment (He's coming back...).

Last edited by YoungPunk on 04/11/2018 16:51; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/11/2018 16:40
  • Post subject:
If you want detail I used to like Mahler cuz my section leader in my Youth Orchestra did but I now find Mahler coarse... Wagner and Strauss are equally innovative composers that are way more pleasant and lyrical.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/11/2018 19:53
  • Post subject:
It's totally fine ... to each his own, as they say... Wink

I have a hard time understanding how one could understand and value Mahler's (and Wagner's) art and not consider his 9th one of the towering masterpieces of history. It seems implausible to me, as it is such an ultimate, symphonic representation of such, an overwhelmingly emotional and mind-blowing culmination of his psychology and life's work (understatement), and can also be considered his most fully realized integration of Wagner's inclinations and Beethoven's late period into the symphony. Maybe one day I will write up some sort of extensive analysis of this incredible work, but I don't have the extra thousand hours to spill right now Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/16/2018 16:08
  • Post subject:
New week (first post, first page) ... Still revisiting portions of all echelons of my lists in part to determine if my "ratings-combinations-by-halves" (see criteria page) need to be revised ... Strongly considering the possibility that Beethoven's 9th and Mahler's 9th might be upgraded to 9.8/10+ echelon (would be a first for any music work under current standards and ratings system, which has been mostly the same for the last 10 or so years) ... I finally caught up to Tarantino's great Inglorious Basterds in this new week, rated it and added it to my "Greatest Films" list... Also, great to see Scaruffi give recognition to Tubke's astonishing "Reminiscences of Judge Schulze" as a historically significant work of the 60s in his brand new compendium "Art and Music of the 60s". I dont get to return the favor back to him too often so I am pleased he agrees. I will be interested to see if he agrees on Peasants War Panorama as well.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/23/2018 19:56
  • Post subject:
New week (first post first page) ... Still in progress and getting closer to decisiveness on all of the above from last week ^^^

Probably will update my criteria page ("ratings by halves") + reach a conclusion on Beethoven's and Mahler's 9th being upgraded -- or not -- (to 9.8+ or staying at 9.7) this week + whatever else
  • Visit poster's website