Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2019)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2019 04:23
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Although I am very curious to know if maybe there is some sort of Country/Pop mini masterpiece out there? (at least 7/10)

I would be surprised if you considered it a mini masterpiece, but this is a well-written and at times deeply personal country pop album from last year. Has a hint of dream pop too.

Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/29/2019 05:06
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I would be surprised if you considered it a mini masterpiece, but this is a well-written and at times deeply personal country pop album from last year. Has a hint of dream pop too.

Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves

Thank you! No guarantees of course but Ill give it a listen (or more) and see what I think! Ive heard of her but (to my knowledge) havent heard any of her songs yet.

As a note, Petty's Damn the Torpedoes -- though arguable as to its fit into the genre combo -- may be its masterpiece if one is willing to give a little leeway on the definitions.

Regardless, it would be cool to find one or more 7/10+ albums that lean even closer to both the country side and the poppy side than that -- to see if any artists have managed to make it work that well.

Ill give Musgraves a shot.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/04/2019 19:27
  • Post subject:
New week rolling along. Focus is still on genre lists, primarily (at the moment) "Pop", "Blues/Country" and "Folk/Singer Songwriter". I will be moving on to others but I generally only like to focus on 2 or 3 at once.

@Baystateoftheart

I checked out Kacey Musgraves and thought it was okay. Id need to listen to it more to give an "offical" rating but seemed 5ish to me (just an estimate for now ... room for error). An upgrade from Come On Over though (which Id probably give 3.5 or so).
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2019 23:21
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
New week rolling along. Focus is still on genre lists, primarily (at the moment) "Pop", "Blues/Country" and "Folk/Singer Songwriter". I will be moving on to others but I generally only like to focus on 2 or 3 at once.

@Baystateoftheart

I checked out Kacey Musgraves and thought it was okay. Id need to listen to it more to give an "offical" rating but seemed 5ish to me (just an estimate for now ... room for error). An upgrade from Come On Over though (which Id probably give 3.5 or so).

Oh well... at least you liked it better than Carly Rae Jepsen lol

By the way, ever get around to that Daniel Johnston album I suggested? (Songs Of Pain)
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/05/2019 01:13
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

@Baystateoftheart

Oh well... at least you liked it better than Carly Rae Jepsen lol

By the way, ever get around to that Daniel Johnston album I suggested? (Songs Of Pain)

Yep, poor Carly Very Happy

Fwiw, in most cases I just dont say anything about a low-rated-to-mediocre album, unless asked directly or getting back to someone on a request/recommendation. I dont even list them or review them anywhere as its not particularly interesting to me (for instance only 6.8+ is listed on my "Top 10+" lists, or those that at least were 6.8+). If I criticize something it usually is only in discussing a comparison to a much greater artist or it seems necessary in making a point. But almost never originated outside of that. Fwiw.

There are and have been exceptions but that's my usual MO.

Now you can forgive me for all my past sins lol

Havent checked out that Daniel Johnston yet but will be going through/revisiting the most essential works of his career at some point and that should be among those.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/08/2019 08:06
  • Post subject:
Interesting brand new interview with Piero Scaruffi. I think those who dislike or dismiss him (probably) only see one (very small) side of him (his Beatles critique, and maybe some other popular artists he rates "too low") and end up missing what he is really all about...

Link

• Visit poster's website
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 02/10/2019 16:47
  • Post subject:
What happened with David Peel? Such a huge drop. An 8 to Scaruffi
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/10/2019 19:31
  • Post subject:
DelBocaVista wrote:
What happened with David Peel? Such a huge drop. An 8 to Scaruffi

Yeah, Scaruffi and I agree closely approx 80% of the time, but even in discrepancy dont usually have that much of a ratings divide.

It just seemed close to pure novelty to me this time around but I could be missing something. Its fun and anarchic but just seems slim on impact/significance, more passing fancy... While it predates, say, The Clash's vocals (though somewhat more freakish) it lacks the song craft and significance of their debut. And its preachy, anarchic, haphazard spirit pales in comparison to the evangelical frenzied volcanic eruption of a contemporary like, say, MC5's Kick Out the Jams.

It was awesome (in a stupid/comical/crazy way) the first few listens but I either jumped the gun on its 7.3-rating or I'm still missing something in what's significant about it (therefore it didn't hold up when returning to it).

Usually Scaruffi ends up being right though (damn Scaruffi!), so I'm always open to returning to it and perhaps changing my view or seeing something I missed.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/12/2019 01:58
  • Post subject:
New week rolling along... Focus remains on my genre lists. I am consistently working on, revising, updating these 3 at the moment (roughly, the following "order of importance" too):

Folk/Singer-Songwriter: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=19838
Blues/Country: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...281#504281
Pop: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=19794

Also...

Newly discovered Ry Cooder's gospel/roots-rock/Americana mini masterpiece, Paradise & Lunch, must be one of the most charming and endearing albums of all time. With familiarity, becomes utterly infectious. Forgot just how great of a guitarist he was too! Damn son!
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2019 23:57
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Although I am very curious to know if maybe there is some sort of Country/Pop mini masterpiece out there? (at least 7/10)

I've only dipped a toe into his discography so far, but many people think highly of Lee Hazlewood. So you could look there next perhaps.