Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2019)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/26/2018 22:02
  • Post subject: Re: Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2018)
Facetious wrote:
I'm pretty sure he has made much worse songs than The Girl is Mine. It's harmless fun, although yes, it can be quite cringe-worthy.
Btw, have you heard Off the Wall? Now that's a 6.6.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking ... but then I realized I'd never live it down from Beatles fans Laughing Maybe one day it will surpass Faust in its satire of humanity. It's clearly more relevant to idiotic mainstream media-culture than Faust ever will be. It is the soundtrack to the Kardashian's/Jenner's lives -- or at least how the media portrays them.

I'm not sure how this applies to the record apart from Barbie Girl?

Re: Off the Wall ... Yes, but I haven't listened to the whole thing in years (probably a reason for that Very Happy )...

Re: Aquarium ... It wasn't really meant as a totally serious or analyzed statement -- partially serious, partially a joke within a joke. But, in the sense that the whole sound of the work has an extremely plasticized production and (artificially) hyped happiness to it, lending a valid sound-world to its satirical and hilarious reveling in the fake reality that is mainstream media culture.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/05/2018 19:50
  • Post subject:
New week up and going (first post, first page). Main focus is on my genre lists (Pop, Hip Hop, Folk, etc) and I am revisiting various films (mainly those marked by asterisks on my "Greatest Films" list) and polishing up that list. I also started a "Greatest Films -- Corresponding Works of Art" list that I am putting together.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/12/2018 20:50
  • Post subject:
New week ... First post, first page ...

Concentration is on film revisits, along with Rock (and some Jazz) albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/16/2018 13:06
  • Post subject:
Dude, start adding literature to the list.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/16/2018 16:22
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
Dude, start adding literature to the list.

Sorry but I'm not an alien like Scaruffi Laughing I actually sleep and eat and probably have more obligations than he does (he is retired or semi-retired). Nor do I have the additional 25 years (or whatever) that he has, chipping away at everything.

Literature is just way too time consuming for the way my schedule/life is so I can't promise Ill get to it any time soon. The way things are right now, Id basically be reading 1 or 2 books per week at the expense of everything else. I can listen to music (if I want) while doing other things: certain work I do, while analyzing aspects of a film(s) (post-viewing), while analyzing paintings... plus, aside from such combinations, film, music, paintings are all much less time consuming on their own -- even when I hone in on just 1 at a time.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/17/2018 08:01
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Sorry but I'm not an alien like Scaruffi Laughing I actually sleep and eat and probably have more obligations than he does (he is retired or semi-retired). Nor do I have the additional 25 years (or whatever) that he has, chipping away at everything.

Literature is just way too time consuming for the way my schedule/life is so I can't promise Ill get to it any time soon. The way things are right now, Id basically be reading 1 or 2 books per week at the expense of everything else. I can listen to music (if I want) while doing other things: certain work I do, while analyzing aspects of a film(s) (post-viewing), while analyzing paintings... plus, aside from such combinations, film, music, paintings are all much less time consuming on their own -- even when I hone in on just 1 at a time.

You could start from shorter stuff: poems and short stories; or short novels that'd take a few hours to read, so that you could read a couple without sacrificing any time left for other art forms.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/17/2018 14:57
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

You could start from shorter stuff: poems and short stories; or short novels that'd take a few hours to read, so that you could read a couple without sacrificing any time left for other art forms.

Not a bad idea but maybe when Im not so locked in to Film/Rock and I still have my sights set on getting back to Classical (plus Ive been extra busy with other aspects of life recently...). Jumping into what would essentially be a mostly new art form (as regards ratings/rankings/serious evaluation goes) is not really in the cards right now.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/18/2018 19:41
  • Post subject:
I am 90% sure that Joanna Newsom's Ys is on the verge of an upgrade -- almost certainly (at least) 8.5/10 and very possibly 9/10. I need only revisit it one more time to be sure -- probably. I mention this because many people have asked me over the years about it possibly getting an upgrade (whether by PM or in a message on one of my logs, such as at listology.com) -- and I've been both doubtful and hopeful, depending on my most recent impressions of it. Back in 2006/early-2007 (shortly after its release) I did actually have it as a 9/10 for a bit. At various times since, I've briefly had it as 9/10 or 8.5/10, but it always returns to 8/10 each time... Turns out that my early inclinations in this case may have been the most accurate.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/20/2018 17:00
  • Post subject:
New week ... Have been completely swamped so havent had much time to listen to/view art but Im squeezing some of it in somehow or another ... Joanna Newsom's Ys is perhaps on the verge of being the highest rated/ranked work of art of the last 19-20 years, and possibly the only 9/10? Will probably have an updated rating today or tomorrow. Then onto other things, such as film, which Ive been doing my best to find some time to get back into and would like to continue to do so.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/26/2018 03:12
  • Post subject:

Link

• Visit poster's website