Sorry for what I did and a talk about rateyourmusic.com

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Smithy98

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/05/2018 11:52
  • Post subject: Sorry for what I did and a talk about rateyourmusic.com
Hello.

First, I want to say sorry for asking others to rate nu metal and post-grunge bands back in November because the reason I did that was because some of the bands I like seem to not get enough votes on here as they do on rateyourmusic.com.

On rateyourmusic.com, One of the albums for Adema have 544 votes whilst on Besteveralbums, that same album only has 6 votes.

For System of a Down's Toxicity:
Rateyourmusic.com: 11,459.
Besteveralbums: 711.

For Trust Company (The Lonely Position of Neutral):
Rateyourmusic: 269.
Besteveralbums: 5.

For Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory):
Rateyourmusic: 8,261.
Besteveralbums: 599.

For Disturbed (The Sickness):
Rateyourmusic: 2,784.
Besteveralbums: 76.

For Fuel (Something like human):
Rateyourmusic: 453.
Besteveralbums: 9.

Those are just a few examples, anyway.

Thank you for reading.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 01/05/2018 14:07
  • Post subject:
There’s about 40 times as many users on RateYourMusic as there is on BestEverAlbums, so it’s not that surprising if an album has 40 times as many ratings there.
Temporary33

• Posted: 01/05/2018 14:21
  • Post subject:
DJTommy wrote:
There’s about 40 times as many users on RateYourMusic as there is on BestEverAlbums, so it’s not that surprising if an album has 40 times as many ratings there.

Not just that though, but BEA's format is gonna have less votes even when factoring for users. It's just the wya things work when how albums are actually ranked is changed completely and the importance is no longer on rating them.
  • Visit poster's website
DanielNunes93

Portugal

• Posted: 01/05/2018 15:43
  • Post subject:
If you want more ratings at BEA, do something to have more people on BEA, simple.

Our community here is much smaller than in the RateYourMusic and to make this worse, many users here do not even rate the albums they hear.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 16:10
  • Post subject:
Temporary33 wrote:
Not just that though, but BEA's format is gonna have less votes even when factoring for users. It's just the wya things work when how albums are actually ranked is changed completely and the importance is no longer on rating them.

This is interesting. I'm not very familiar with RYM . What do you mean?
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 16:20
  • Post subject:
DanielNunes93 wrote:
If you want more ratings at BEA, do something to have more people on BEA, simple.

Our community here is much smaller than in the RateYourMusic and to make this worse, many users here do not even rate the albums they hear.

Question Question Question

How do you know this? Is this even a big deal if true? How does this make things "worse"? Just curious. I'm probably "guilty" of this myself. First off, listening to albums just to rate them seems kinda crazy too me. I don't even begin to understand an album until I've heard it at least three times. There seems to be this race to hear as many albums as possible as I picked up in that 1001 albums thread as well. That's probably not the best way to experience music just like it's kind of the wrongheaded way to travel. Anyone who travels to just hit as many sites as possible is a fucking tourist. Stay a while. Enjoy the scenery. It's much cooler to be a local.

edit: Of course this criticism is not directed at you, Daniel. Just a general observation about the approach taken to listening to albums in the steaming age of which I'm as guilty as others at times.
  • Visit poster's website
DanielNunes93

Portugal

• Posted: 01/05/2018 16:37
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
DanielNunes93 wrote:

How do you know this? Is this even a big deal if true? How does this make things "worse"? Just curious. I'm probably "guilty" of this myself. First off, listening to albums just to rate them seems kinda crazy too me. I don't even begin to understand an album until I've heard it at least three times. There seems to be this race to hear as many albums as possible as I picked up in that 1001 albums thread as well. That's probably not the best way to experience music just like it's kind of the wrongheaded way to travel. Anyone who travels to just hit as many sites as possible is a fucking tourist. Stay a while. Enjoy the scenery. It's much cooler to be a local.

edit: Of course this criticism is not directed at you, Daniel. Just a general observation about the approach taking to listening to albums in the steaming age of which I'm as guilty as others at times.

I understand what you mean it, but I have 2369 ratings on BEA and I can leave you here the link of my LasfFm account and you can lose several hours looking for an album that I have heard less than 3 times from beginning to end.

But I think you don't understand my comment, what I wanted to say is that you have heard 1,000, 100 or just 10 albums, it does not take much work to give a rating here at BEA. This just makes the site more complete and more likely to grow.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 16:43
  • Post subject:
DanielNunes93 wrote:
Tilly wrote:
DanielNunes93 wrote:

edit: Of course this criticism is not directed at you, Daniel. Just a general observation about the approach taking to listening to albums in the steaming age of which I'm as guilty as others at times.

I understand what you mean it, but I have 2369 ratings on BEA and I can leave you here the link of my LasfFm account and you can lose several hours looking for an album that I have heard less than 3 times from beginning to end.

But I think you don't understand my comment, what I wanted to say is that you have heard 1,000, 100 or just 10 albums, it does not take much work to give a rating here at BEA. This just makes the site more complete and more likely to grow.

oh, yeah. sorry. As I tried to say, that post was NOT directed at you, Daniel. Just a general observation.

Thanks for explaining your comment. I now know what u mean. Peace, brother!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/05/2018 17:45
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
This is interesting. I'm not very familiar with RYM . What do you mean?

RYM is a databasing site that asks you to rate your collection with or without reviewing them, BEA instead asks you what do you think are the best albums on consecutive lists. Factor in that and the fact that RYM has been growing as a community since it launched more than seventeen years ago. BEA is five years younger and has lacked the same exponential growth. That is why both sites are very different.
  • Visit poster's website
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 01/05/2018 18:33
  • Post subject:
DanielNunes93 wrote:

I don't. The ratings are kind of meaningless, since the rankings are based on how many charts they appear in and where they appear in those charts.

Live Albums

Death Metal
  • Visit poster's website