Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 18:34
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
RYM is a databasing site that asks you to rate your collection with or without reviewing them, BEA instead asks you what do you think are the best albums on consecutive lists. Factor in that and the fact that RYM has been growing as a community since it launched more than seventeen years ago. BEA is five years younger and has lacked the same exponential growth. That is why both sites are very different.

Thanks, Gowi. I should really explore it more.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 18:38
  • Post subject: Re: Sorry for what I did and a talk about rateyourmusic.com
Smithy1998 wrote:
First, I want to say sorry...

There's no need to apologize.

Smithy1998 wrote:
...for asking others to rate nu metal and post-grunge bands back in November because the reason I did that was because some of the bands I like seem to not get enough votes on here as they do on rateyourmusic.com.

Ratings on BEA do not matter. What matters on BEA is chart placement. And unfortunately many of the bands and albums you were trying to force on us are unlikely to appear on many charts. Therefore asking us to listen to entire discographies of bands for the sole purpose of giving them ratings was, no offense, kinda silly.

However I like the idea of switching it to a Music Diary or a general Post-Grunge/Nu Metal thread, where we focus on one album at time. I'm a fan of those genres. So if you want to host something where, let's say we listen to one album every week or so, and then have a little discussion about it, I'm game for that.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/05/2018 18:51
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
First off, listening to albums just to rate them seems kinda crazy too me. I don't even begin to understand an album until I've heard it at least three times. There seems to be this race to hear as many albums as possible as I picked up in that 1001 albums thread as well. That's probably not the best way to experience music

Exactly what I think. I haven't listened to as many albums as some people here on BEA, but I tend to really give every album a full opportunity, at least 3-4 full album listens before any kind of rating.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 19:03
  • Post subject:
Yeah I think its simply 2 factors which makes for this massive disparity between RYM and BEA:

1. Much smaller amount of users.

2. The rankings and design of BEA is based off Best albums, via charts and lists, whereas the rankings and general design of RYM is based off what albums you've listened to and their Rating or Grade. So when you look at the RYM charts or genre or year etc, its based off Rating mostly and how many ratings (not sure if it takes into account your charts on RYM) whereas if you look at similar year or decade lists here its based completely on chart and rankings on lists.

So Adema for example isnt ranked high because less people have decided that Adema's albums are the best of their decades or years or all time list.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 19:21
  • Post subject:
I don't do ratings here at all. I don't do it because I know myself. I would have to rate over 2000 albums, and I would have to (not an option) rate nearly the 30,000 songs contained on them. I would then be forced (because of who I am) to write comments for each and every one of the aforementioned items. I'm a sick man. But I KNOW I'm a sick man. So I stay away from ratings. I choose instead to concentrate on my charts, my wishlist, and data moderation.

You don't HAVE to do anything here you don't choose to do. The site will survive. Do what you can. Do what you WANT. Do what works for you. This isn't RYM, or any other place. It's BEA. Make it work for what you want and need. You can't control what anyone else does...but you can make your own mark.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
DanielNunes93

Portugal

• Posted: 01/05/2018 19:40
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I don't do ratings here at all. I don't do it because I know myself. I would have to rate over 2000 albums, and I would have to (not an option) rate nearly the 30,000 songs contained on them. I would then be forced (because of who I am) to write comments for each and every one of the aforementioned items. I'm a sick man. But I KNOW I'm a sick man. So I stay away from ratings. I choose instead to concentrate on my charts, my wishlist, and data moderation.

ahahah I understand you so well ... I have avoided to the maximum rating songs, because I will take forever!!! But I do not know if I'll be able to hold on much longer Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 05:49
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

You don't HAVE to do anything here you don't choose to do. The site will survive. Do what you can. Do what you WANT. Do what works for you. This isn't RYM, or any other place. It's BEA. Make it work for what you want and need. You can't control what anyone else does...but you can make your own mark.

Applause
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 06:01
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Thanks, Gowi. I should really explore it more.

you definitely should. amazing resource for when you want to delve into a new artist and are not sure where to begin, or if you want to listen to a specific genre from a specific year of decade and dont know what to listen to. it might be where i do most of my discovering these days -- maybe not a majority, but a plurality almost certainly.

notably i discovered this there and its my absolute new fav!!!

Feel It Break by Austra

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/06/2018 06:18
  • Post subject:
I've been using RYM as a resource for around ten years, it is probably the best music site online. Last.fm used to be a good secondary but it went down the toilet some years ago (around nine or eight, actually). Way better than discogs and the like. Still, it has its flaws just like any site and using both BEA and RYM has its benefits.
  • Visit poster's website
DanielNunes93

Portugal

• Posted: 01/06/2018 11:09
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I've been using RYM as a resource for around ten years, it is probably the best music site online. Last.fm used to be a good secondary but it went down the toilet some years ago (around nine or eight, actually). Way better than discogs and the like. Still, it has its flaws just like any site and using both BEA and RYM has its benefits.

Can you explain better how using the two has its benefits? I just use BEA, I always thought I was too similar to RYM to register on both Think
  • Visit poster's website