Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/06/2018 11:31
  • Post subject:
DanielNunes93 wrote:
Can you explain better how using the two has its benefits? I just use BEA, I always thought I was too similar to RYM to register on both Think

Alright. These are my thoughts on that matter:
  • A larger, more active community. This means the site is less intimate but otherwise brings more consistent discussions and points of view. On the downside, this makes it a breeding ground for jokesters, snobs, and trolls.

• More intuitive chart system that you can organize by year, genre, and other metrics. This allows for you to filter through sitewide favorites (or esoteric gems) – whilst BEA will have a tag feature in the future, RYM’s larger rating community allows for a greater depth. Most of my records are found through keeping up with these charts.

• A diverse community that isn’t limited to a small handful of niches. This makes the charts more broad; incorporating favorites as heavily as from rockist classics and alternative favorites as well as hip hop, jazz, soul, folk, experimental, country, electronica, and more. RYM has a more widespread “core” and it excels due to this fact.

• A More intuitive user interface that makes it easy to track your collection.

• By using both BEA, RYM, and other metric sites you narrow down the limitations you have by being exclusive to one or the other. You get BEA’s decidedly different charts and community, RYM’s vast network of discographies and recommendations that can be essentially tailored to your interests, and two different communities that operate on different thought processes. Generally, while it can be exhausting multimanaging as a music fan the pros outweigh the cons in that you have more music options and knowledge that is accessible to you.
  • Visit poster's website
Moved: 01/06/2018 12:00 by albummaster
From Music to Lounge
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/06/2018 12:03
  • Post subject:
Interesting thread but moving to the Lounge because it's not about music.
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 13:26
  • Post subject:
BEA is better for ranking your music and finding a more close-knit community and RYM is generally better for more diverse music recommendations

There are tons of immature users on RYM which makes the community pretty vile, and BEA doesn't really have that issue.
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 13:26
  • Post subject:
also sputnikmusic has very solid music charts
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 01/12/2018 00:30
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
This is interesting. I'm not very familiar with RYM . What do you mean?

I think I may have meant something different than what gowi said. I meant that BEA ranks albums based upon scores on lists while RYM's overall ranking system is directly correlated to average rating as well as number of ratings so ratings have a direct impact on the overall ranking of albums while albums here are ranked primarily by points on lists. The importance is no longer on ratings therefore ratings will less likely be done.
  • Visit poster's website