Grunge
50%
 50%  [29]
Total Votes : 57

LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/06/2018 14:34
  • Post subject: Grunge vs Britpop
I had an argument with my friend the other day. He cannot understand how I like "teenage whining" (his words) more than great British arena rock sound of Oasis, Blur and others. Although I like both, it is true grunge has always been my favourite. I know that neither Britpop nor Grunge are strictly genres, but I was wondering which one do people on BEA like more?

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
DanielNunes93

Portugal

• Posted: 01/06/2018 15:16
  • Post subject:
Everything is better than britpop!
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 01/06/2018 15:17
  • Post subject:
Actually "teenage whining", as your friend put it, makes me think of Thom Yorke (not really britpop I know) rather than grunge. For me grunge is fat sound, laid-back attitude, and a taste for classic rock

Last edited by Yann on 01/06/2018 16:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/06/2018 15:25
  • Post subject:
I like a few more Britpop albums than Grunge ones, so Britpop has it. The earlier Britpop stuff like Denim, Pulp, Suede, Blur and the Auteurs is very good.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 01/06/2018 15:34
  • Post subject:
Britpop by a comfortable margin. Not that I dislike Nirvana, Pearl Jam or Screaming Trees, but they've always felt like an inferior mix of punk and hard rock to me ; Britpop, while a definitely heterogeneous label in terms of quality, has had some great sets of great pop ideas IMO.

Both trends are very inconsistent though, and I can't think of an album without problematic flaws in any of them. Even Pulp's Different Class which is probably my favorite grunge or Britpop record, only gets by because its highs are so high they somewhat make up for the undeniable lows.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 01/06/2018 16:01
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Britpop by a comfortable margin. Not that I dislike Nirvana, Pearl Jam or Screaming Trees, but they've always felt like an inferior mix of punk and hard rock to me ; Britpop, while a definitely heterogeneous label in terms of quality, has had some great sets of great pop ideas IMO.

Both trends are very inconsistent though, and I can't think of an album without problematic flaws in any of them. Even Pulp's Different Class which is probably my favorite grunge or Britpop record, only gets by because its highs are so high they somewhat make up for the undeniable lows.

Pulp is quite the opposite of grunge in terms of sound. Very tight a sound, almost irritating.
Blur had a much more supple (not sure of the word) sound, and they eventually integrated grunge sound in their eponymous album

PS: impressed by your english, sounds like native speaker Smile
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/06/2018 16:09
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
For me grunge is fat sound, laid-back attitude, and a taste for classic rock

Exactly! A healthy dose of everything from metal to classic rock.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 16:17
  • Post subject:
Grunge, mostly because it gave us this kickass song about being in the woods.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eObop0waGII[/youtube]

Dont know why that didnt work. Oh well, TAD- Wood Goblins, if you're not already familiar.

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 01/06/2018 16:18; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/06/2018 16:18
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:

Very interesting opinion. I tend to disagree, but I can see what you're trying to say, and I've seen many people here on BEA who agree with you on this one. Ten, VS, Nevermind, In Utero, most of Alice in Chains stuff, Siamese Dream (if that counts as grunge) and Suede's debut are all pretty consistent if you ask me, but for example Soundgarden (and I like them just as much as others here mentioned) always have one or two weaker tracks on their albums imo. Same applies to Mellon Collie, all of Oasis' stuff and later Pearl Jam. That's not to say I dislike these bands/albums!

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 01/06/2018 16:36
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Pulp is quite the opposite of grunge in terms of sound. Very tight a sound, almost irritating.
Blur had a much more supple (not sure of the word) sound, and they eventually integrated grunge sound in their eponymous album

PS: impressed by your english, sounds like native speaker Smile

Well I meant that Pulp's record is my favorite record considering both grunge and Britpop records, but it's definitely not grunge indeed Smile Though if we're talking about irritating, a song such as Girls & Boys (and I love this song) is to me, more or less, the definition of irritating.

Thanks for the PS haha, tbh it's not always been like that ; I learned most of it here on the forums (and I mean it seriously!). I'm not nearly as confident when I'm speaking though, because there's much less room for thinking about the order of the words or the right one to use (and let's not even talk about the accent...). It's also how you learn it at shcool : through writing, much more than through speaking. I really need to spend some time in an English-speaking country to fluidify things. Mais tu n'es pas en reste non plus, ton anglais aussi est nickel Wink

LedZep wrote:
Very interesting opinion. I tend to disagree, but I can see what you're trying to say, and I've seen many people here on BEA who agree with you on this one. Ten, VS, Nevermind, In Utero, most of Alice in Chains stuff, Siamese Dream (if that counts as grunge) and Suede's debut are all pretty consistent if you ask me, but for example Soundgarden (and I like them just as much as others here mentioned) always have one or two weaker tracks on their albums imo. Same applies to Mellon Collie, all of Oasis' stuff and later Pearl Jam. That's not to say I dislike these bands/albums!

Obviously I get that many people may think differently, otherwise these records would certainly not be held as high as they are. I do agree that Siamese Dream is pretty consistent though, probably the most out of your list, but yeah, depending on how you define the genre, it may or not be counted as grunge. But even listening to Nevermind I tend to get slightly bored by the second half, I think it's a bit too front-loaded. What a first half though!
  • Visit poster's website