Total Votes : 57

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 20:48
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
LedZep wrote:

I'm sorry but I just fail to see what Pearl Jam and Nickleback have in common hahahah. Yes, it's popular to hate on Nickleback but it's cause they're so basic try-hard pop-rock it hurts. Imo at least.

You’re thinking of Nickelback in the present, not as a whole.

You have to understand that Post-Grunge as a whole encompassed a sound that Pearl Jam (also Stone Temple Pilots and Bush) streamlined. The early bands that took their cues were either decent or mediocre, but discard subjective opinions you can make an objective analysis on which Grunge band(s) influenced what we would come to know as Post-Grunge. I spent a few years ago really thinking long and hard on the transitionary period and it is really difficult to ignore the fact that despite everyone loving Nirvana and Kurt Cobain their actual soundscapes were more akin to what Pearl Jam was doing. Have a few more examples:

Sample #1
Sample #2
Sample #3
Sample #4
Sample #5

As Grunge was fading, Post-Grunge was contemporizing it and taking it in a different direction and it is very clear to me Pearl Jam is, in part, responsible for it as they are strangely the composite people based their sounds on. You can hear it in the type of distortion they used on record, the riffwork that emulated the blues-oriented shift that Pearl Jam always had, and for many Eddie Vedder’s vocals.

In my circle of friends in the early to mid 2000s we called it "Man Rock" - The Creed and the Nickelback stuff.

If you don't hear the man voice of Eddie Vedder in that music (even if an incredibly terrible representation of it), then it's hard to describe.

I'm not dogging on Eddie Vedder - I actually like his voice, but I get why people make fun of it and then as people started mimicking it - well half the problem is the mimicking, right? We've already talked about how maybe that's why Nu Metal is terrible. It tried that angsty stuff, but wasn't honest. Eddie Vedder actually sounds like that. It's not that he's trying (as far as I can tell he kind of talks that way).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 20:49
  • Post subject:
I'm nearly worried my bashing of Britpop is getting people to vote for it... hehe.

15/17 now whereas it was like 9 for 15 or something.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/07/2018 21:42
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

OK Computer killed other bands? Interesting... never knew that. Why?

Hmm. In my head it did as that marked the point I stopped listening to Britpop and started listening to more serious albums. I'm sure Britpop would have come to a halt without Ok Computer, but I guess it was one of a number of 97 albums that signalled the end of Britpop was nigh. I think it made some people feel that there has to be something more to music than Britpop. Lots of Britpop bands really did get culled when their albums didn't sell in 98.

Quote:
RE: no sense of Britpop being an ongoing thing of any significance in the UK by '98.
Thank goodness?

Yeah. We all had to move on. I think that there was a time and place for Britpop. Now it's just a nostalgia thing for some people at these Britpop holiday camps that have started up. Not for me.

Quote:
haha - again it's not that bad. I just rarely can make it through a britpop record.

You know what it is? I think it's that it is supposed to be good - it's an expectation thing. I was hoping and expecting for more and was grossly disappointed in the end.

That makes sense. There was a lot of hype and self-congratulation which looked bad once the initial buzz was fading. There was no way of selling the Britpop party to America effectively. It was a daft idea really.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:11
  • Post subject:
I missed this conversation up until now due to work this weekend, but I've enjoyed reading through this and don't really know what to respond to.

Real quick, I have the best avatar hands down.

Ok, Britpop or Grunge. I really like both so I'm abstaining from the poll. What I'd rather listen to depends on my mood. I suppose there are more Grunge artists and albums I enjoy than Britpop. However my CD collection would be incomplete without both Superunknown and Different Class.

It seems Pearl Jam was the Seattle Grunge band that had more influence on post-Grunge than any other, based on Gowi's examples plus a couple others I can think of (e.g. Days of the New). But I hear the Nirvana influence in Foo Fighters, Puddle of Mudd, and Seether.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:15
  • Post subject:
Sorry, here is what I originally meant to post. Britpop is nowhere near my type of music, highly polished and generally overproduced, and grunge is nearly the opposite.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:17
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
You’re thinking of Nickelback in the present, not as a whole.

May be, I'm not that familiar with their early phase. I'll take your word for it then.

Gowi wrote:
You have to understand that Post-Grunge as a whole encompassed a sound that Pearl Jam (also Stone Temple Pilots and Bush) streamlined. The early bands that took their cues were either decent or mediocre, but discard subjective opinions you can make an objective analysis on which Grunge band(s) influenced what we would come to know as Post-Grunge. I spent a few years ago really thinking long and hard on the transitionary period and it is really difficult to ignore the fact that despite everyone loving Nirvana and Kurt Cobain their actual soundscapes were more akin to what Pearl Jam was doing. Have a few more examples:

Sample #1
Sample #2
Sample #3
Sample #4
Sample #5

As Grunge was fading, Post-Grunge was contemporizing it and taking it in a different direction and it is very clear to me Pearl Jam is, in part, responsible for it as they are strangely the composite people based their sounds on. You can hear it in the type of distortion they used on record, the riffwork that emulated the blues-oriented shift that Pearl Jam always had, and for many Eddie Vedder’s vocals.

Now that's well thought-out. Funny enough, I think that Stone Temple Pilots were a band that was influenced by PJ the most (or at least by Eddie Vedder). But Post-Grunge scene/movement as a whole? I don't know. Maybe they were unconsciously influenced, because not many bands cite Pearl Jam as the main inspiration. And that "Pearl Jam influence" I'm talking about is in fact only their first album, and maybe parts of VS and Vitalogy, cause they were incorporating more and more experimental sound with every new release up until Binaural. And PJ is somewhat a child of 70s blues rock as you said, so all those new bands may not be looking up to PJ but to 70s heroes.
Don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with you, but I think "people based their sound on PJ" is a pretty exaggerated sentence.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:21
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Real quick, I have the best avatar hands down.

Tha1ChiefRocka's is just as good, sorry Laughing

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:25
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:

Quote:
RE: no sense of Britpop being an ongoing thing of any significance in the UK by '98.
Thank goodness?

Yeah. We all had to move on. I think that there was a time and place for Britpop. Now it's just a nostalgia thing for some people at these Britpop holiday camps that have started up. Not for me.

I'm not from the UK, but isn't the Manchester terrorist attack and singing Don't Look Back In Anger as well as good new albums by Gallaghers and their respective successful tours a sign that Britpop isn't dead? And there's nothing like a bit of nostalgia, if you don't live in it 24/7 Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:33
  • Post subject:
Basically, I'm saying that Pearl Jam is one of the most influential bands, by proxy or accident, in the 90s; even moreso than Kurt Cobain. Perhaps it was because these groups didn't have Kurt's taste in music (experimental, noise rock, hardcore punk, 80s alternative) or they just couldn't incorporate things how Kurt did them.

tl;dr Pearl Jam is to be blamed for Creed, Nickelback, Default, and the other long strings of absolute shite.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:38
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka's is just as good, sorry Laughing

Um...scuse me...but mine has the class and drunken swagger of the coolest man in the Rat Pack (hands down), the face of the owner of the swingin'-est discography of any era, a man who could pull chicks like no other, AND I was named after him.

So,,,yeah.

Cool
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website