50%  [29]
Total Votes : 57

Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:50
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Basically, I'm saying that Pearl Jam is one of the most influential bands, by proxy or accident, in the 90s; even moreso than Kurt Cobain. Perhaps it was because these groups didn't have Kurt's taste in music (experimental, noise rock, hardcore punk, 80s alternative) or they just couldn't incorporate things how Kurt did them.

tl;dr Pearl Jam is to be blamed for Creed, Nickelback, Default, and the other long strings of absolute shite.

I've been agreeing with a whole lot of what Gowi has been saying lately. This included.

I will add that I think part of the reason for Pearl Jam's influential legacy has been their staying power. Stayed together. Made a fantastic model for how to treat your fanbase (have a friend who is a Ten Club member and you'll always have a great PJ concert experience). Didn't self destruct. And Vedder was infinitely cooler than Cobain (didn't die), Weiland (didn't make himself stupid on Heroin), and Cornell (it was easier to sound like Eddie than Chris). And the first two and a half PJ albums were pretty good, especially when compared to the death rattles of classic rock and hair metal that were happening at the same time.

And, yeah...Nickelback and Creed are the worst kind of bands. At any point in their careers. And, yeah...Pearl Jam basically shat them both out.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:51
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

Quote:
RE: no sense of Britpop being an ongoing thing of any significance in the UK by '98.
Thank goodness?

Yeah. We all had to move on. I think that there was a time and place for Britpop. Now it's just a nostalgia thing for some people at these Britpop holiday camps that have started up. Not for me.

I'm not from the UK, but isn't the Manchester terrorist attack and singing Don't Look Back In Anger as well as good new albums by Gallaghers and their respective successful tours a sign that Britpop isn't dead? And there's nothing like a bit of nostalgia, if you don't live in it 24/7 :

Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy some Britpop nostalgia in the privacy of my own home. Its the thought of spending a beery weekend with a bunch of other middle aged men singing hits from Dodgy and Ocean Colour Scene at the top of their lungs that fills me with dread Laughing

Seriously though. I do think Britpop as a cultural phenomenon ended in 97. There are bound to be echoes of this time in more recent music and I'm sure Britpop is still meaningful for some people, but the story of Britpop is really over.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 23:56
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka's is just as good, sorry Laughing

Thanks

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2018 01:19
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

tl;dr Pearl Jam is to be blamed for Creed, Nickelback, Default, and the other long strings of absolute shite.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

But true

But to be clear, Pearl Jam doesn't respect these bands. It's not like they wanted that vocal style to be mimicked.

Just like Post-Grunge and Foo Fighters have nothing in common. All those post-grunge bands are just terrible.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/08/2018 07:25
  • Post subject:
  • Visit poster's website
thegingerprince

• Posted: 01/08/2018 11:02
  • Post subject:
Both “genres” burned brightly before being suffocated by trashy copy artists leading the best exponents of each genre to turn their back on it and experiment more - I think on this front Britpop holds more credence and more legacy given the latter works of Albariño, Radiohead, Cocker et al. A true contest may be to look at the top 10albums of each genre and compare say - Nevrmind, Ten, Badmotorfinger, Siamese Dream, Mudhoney and so on against Parklife, Definitely Maybe, Different Class, The Bends, Urban Hymns, etc - for me the Brit boys edge it
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2018 11:06
  • Post subject:
thegingerprince wrote:
Both “genres” burned brightly before being suffocated by trashy copy artists leading the best exponents of each genre to turn their back on it and experiment more - I think on this front Britpop holds more credence and more legacy given the latter works of Albariño, Radiohead, Cocker et al. A true contest may be to look at the top 10albums of each genre and compare say - Nevrmind, Ten, Badmotorfinger, Siamese Dream, Mudhoney and so on against Parklife, Definitely Maybe, Different Class, The Bends, Urban Hymns, etc - for me the Brit boys edge it

Totally. But I would side with grunge for the same reasons. Anyways, they were BOTH pretty awesome. Grunge in the early 90s and Brit Pop in the mid 90s.

Before they weren't.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/08/2018 11:25
  • Post subject:
thegingerprince wrote:

Would be nice to see a few top 10s for either genre if people have them? I did a loose Britpop one in order of release date earlier. I need to listen/ re-listen to some stuff before doing a better one. Radiohead wouldn't really belong on the list though...
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/08/2018 17:44
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Gowi wrote:

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

But true

But to be clear, Pearl Jam doesn't respect these bands. It's not like they wanted that vocal style to be mimicked.

Just like Post-Grunge and Foo Fighters have nothing in common. All those post-grunge bands are just terrible.

Agreed. With both you and Gowi. Just like the Beatles are to be blamed for some of the worst bands ever.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2018 18:41
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Agreed. With both you and Gowi. Just like the Beatles are to be blamed for some of the worst bands ever.

Like, the Beatles, for instance. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website