Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/07/2018 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2581): How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Today's album of the day

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb by U2 (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2004.
Overall rank: 944
Average rating: 69/100 (from 565 votes).

Tracks:
1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Love And Peace Or Else
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. All Because Of You
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. One Step Closer
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yahweh

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/07/2018 21:39
  • Post subject:
Killer album in my opinion. The single, Vertigo, wore a bit thin, but had some of the energy of their early years, which was exactly what they were aiming for. What keeps me coming back are all the fantastic album tracks, which I found particularly meaningful at the time, and continue to have depth for me.

Cue the U2 hate (most likely from people who have never heard anything of this album other than the single).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 21:52
  • Post subject:
For me, as a U2 Fanboi, this is when U2 started their mass decent from a BEA band that was ranked #11 to possibly where they belong (if you account for the crap they are releasing now).

1. Vertigo - pretty decent riff rock from the band. Sure it's gotten boring from the overplay, but isn't a bad song.
2. Miracle Drug - this is actually one of my favorite songs from the album. Music is my miracle drug too.
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Heartfelt song I feel.
4. Love And Peace Or Else - an ok song - the grove isn't something U2's done much of, and it fits
5. City Of Blinding Lights - pretty decent single
6. All Because Of You - pretty decent hard rock song
9. One Step Closer - absolutely beautiful track ala Grace (I like Grace better)

These songs can die in a fire and I'm ashamed U2 thought they were releasable, hence the decent.
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Crumbs From Your Table
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yahweh

And I'm serious... like this is the first album in the catalog for me (in all seriousness) where the whole album isn't good. U2, imo, were always great album makers, even if not the most amazing songwriters at all times (if that makes anysense). What I mean is maybe a song was a 85/100 instead of 100/100 the whole album (although imo a couple of their albums are perfect), but the whole album was decent. This marked the first time it was acceptable for a U2 album to have utter shit released. In hindsight ATYCLB barely does so as well, but it also has enough character to save itself. Not this album. Not at all.

Now some don't like the style changes they made and feel like they aren't at the same quality as their Americana stage or their Post-punk stage or whatevs. And I get that, but bare with me - at least the quality of the album was higher than this.

Now another thing I think is important to mention is that while those songs suck terribly in my opinion, I also feel they are on par with probably 70 to 80% of other music considered "good"... so there's that. In otherwords sometimes we put a pretty high bar on bands like U2, so when they do something mediocre, it actually is worse than a mediocre band doing their best.

Anyway that's my soap box. May they rest in peace.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 01/07/2018 21:54; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 21:54
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Killer album in my opinion. The single, Vertigo, wore a bit thin, but had some of the energy of their early years, which was exactly what they were aiming for. What keeps me coming back are all the fantastic album tracks, which I found particularly meaningful at the time, and continue to have depth for me.

Cue the U2 hate (most likely from people who have never heard anything of this album other than the single).

Laughing

Yup. Been my experience with U2 haters as well. They often just haven't listened to them intently. But you could say that about almost anything people hate (they fear it because they don't understand it).

And I'd have to agree with the first 6 or so songs - great A side of an album and then it makes me cry.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/07/2018 21:55
  • Post subject:
Love this album especially City of Blinding Lights which is my favourite U2 song of the 00's.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:00
  • Post subject:
I hear your reasoning, Seth, but I actually like those last 4 tracks.

And if this is the last good, or ok (or still better than most mediocre bands) album... then I'd put them in the number one position for post-punk band that best navigated their way past 1985.

As a fellow fanboi, I'm still happy to have the lesser albums, still happy to sift through to find the gems.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:04
  • Post subject:
I've listened to the album in full many times and I think its an overblown piece of rubbish. Mediocre by every definition of the word.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:05
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I hear your reasoning, Seth, but I actually like those last 4 tracks.

And if this is the last good, or ok (or still better than most mediocre bands) album... then I'd put them in the number one position for post-punk band that best navigated their way past 1985.

As a fellow fanboi, I'm still happy to have the lesser albums, still happy to sift through to find the gems.

Oh for sure. Now that Songs of Innocence has been out for a bit, I'm actually really enjoying parts of it.

What's sad is I used to be able to say U2 was a band that made albums with not a bad track on them. I can't say that anymore. And in another few years, it will be Rollings Stones a la 1981 through 2004 (I actually like their 2005 release and their 1980 release was the sign of their decline).
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/07/2018 22:53
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I've listened to the album in full many times and I think its an overblown piece of rubbish. Mediocre by every definition of the word.

Are there any U2 albums that you like? If there are, what is it that you hear in them that you like?
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/07/2018 23:01
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Are there any U2 albums that you like? If there are, what is it that you hear in them that you like?

I like every album they cut prior to Pop.

As for what is in them that I like? Good Music. Competency. Restraint. Humility. Earnestness.
  • Visit poster's website