Album of the day (#2581): How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rkm

• Posted: 01/08/2018 00:56
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Yikes... Hilariously bad, superficial, arena rock -- just going through the motions and anthemic posturings... There was so much more creativity, thought and emotion invested in the likes of War and Joshua Tree. Really hard to imagine wasting one's time with this, especially in this day and age when so much extraordinary music is at one's fingertips. I dont think I've ever made it through the whole album though, so maybe I'm wrong and it culminates with this era's Sister Ray.

While I don't agree, it raises the question, "how does a band that has become massive, down-size from arena rock and anthemic posturings"? I think that's the wilderness that they're in. Some bands go acoustic, and it's just awful. What I'd like is for U2 to forget about touring and make an intimate, nocturnal record along the lines of Dylan's "Time Out Of Mind", with Daniel Lanois.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2018 00:57
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Yikes... Hilariously bad, superficial, arena rock -- just going through the motions and anthemic posturings... There was so much more creativity, thought and emotion invested in the likes of War and Joshua Tree. Really hard to imagine wasting one's time with this, especially in this day and age when so much extraordinary music is at one's fingertips. I dont think I've ever made it through the whole album though, so maybe I'm wrong and it culminates with this era's Sister Ray.

Laughing

No. I don't think it did.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2018 01:00
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Gowi wrote:
I don’t have an issue with artists having a “sound” – you don’t need to switch things up to still make quality records, but you do need to experiment within that formula so to speak. If every single Dinosaur Jr. record sounded like You’re Living All Over Me they probably wouldn’t be one of my favorite bands even if that record is one of my favorite things ever.

My problem with How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb isn’t that it is comfortable or nostalgic. My problem is that it sounds sterile, half-baked, and shallow with none of the things that made U2 interesting for me. It’s predicable to the point it feels generic and dull, lacking organic feeling or authentic expression. It feels like an album that was made with nothing really to say or do beyond filling a quota and paycheck.

I get what you're saying. Track 10 - "Origin of the Species" feels really forced, and painted by numbers. Pretty much exactly what you're saying. I guess for me, there were just plenty of moments that did have something to say, and happened to be exactly what I needed and meaningful for me at that point in time.

I think both can be true. And I value and think both of your statements are indeed true. I mean you can only be a bleeding heart for so many years... to put it in perspective, it was nearly 30 years after they formed in 1976.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2018 01:04
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Gowi wrote:
I like every album they cut prior to Pop.

As for what is in them that I like? Good Music. Competency. Restraint. Humility. Earnestness.

I can agree on that. However, while Pop was largely a mis-step (lacking restraint, humility and earnestness), I consider ATYCLB and HTDAAB to be a return to form, and consider them to have those qualities that you find lacking. I'll concede that from ATYCLB onward, they've been a band looking backward rather than just forward (trying to assimilate everything they've been). But that's the natural arc of life past 40, as you face your own mortality, you look back. I remember people dissing "Beautiful Day" because Edge sounded so much like the early records. I've never understood why people insist on artists changing for change's sake. If I'd invented a recognisable sound like Edge did, I'd OWN it as well.

Interesting points.

Also I don't think people realize how amazing of a guitarist the Edge is. No he's not a shredder, but he was invited by Jimmy Page to be a part of It Might Get Loud for a reason. A lot of people don't get what that reason is.

I suppose I'm expecting too much out of a band which at times did something I thought was pretty amazing emotionally, philosophically, culturally, etc. I was kind of hoping they would age like fine wine and they didn't. I mean even Neil Young hasn't. Or Look at Lou Reed's work with Metallica. So it is what it is. Perhaps this is the problem we face when we have pop artists be artists? Are they more artisans? Have artists who didn't die young always peaked and become mediocre in their later years? At what percentage, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2018 01:13
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
While I don't agree, it raises the question, "how does a band that has become massive, down-size from arena rock and anthemic posturings"? I think that's the wilderness that they're in. Some bands go acoustic, and it's just awful. What I'd like is for U2 to forget about touring and make an intimate, nocturnal record along the lines of Dylan's "Time Out Of Mind", with Daniel Lanois.

That's a bit like asking them to stop breathing... haha - if it were literal. U2=live shows and for a band like them, that means large venues (well they do play clubs when they release new albums).

I liked their smaller arena shows - instead of giant 100k football stadiums, when they play 20k arenas.

That's actually something that cemented my respect for the band. I went and saw them on their 2001 Elevation tour - first real concert by a big act. They made the 20k arena feel like my living room. I mean they are masters at captivating 100k people at a show, of course they are going to melt your heart at 20k. I mean that was almost 20 years ago, but I think I've heard other members say they say them last year and did the same for them, as non-fanbois.

But I get what you mean - perhaps U2 needs to chill out from trying to tour the world and be the biggest band bit. Maybe they should do a toned down album? Maybe they should go acoustic? That'd be kind of interesting - like Foo Fighters did on In Your Honor? Edge does have some cool accoustic arrangements if you've heard them, like this (makes the song 100x better imo):

Link

Or this wasn't terrible:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/08/2018 01:47
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:

Arena Rock doesn't have to automatically equal "superficial" and "un-creative". But it usually does.

Some misc answers to your question:

Arcade Fire essentially synthesized the elements you query, with Funeral, and to a somewhat lesser extent, with Neon Bible, echoing the likes of U2, Springsteen as well as Talking Heads, Pixies and perhaps Neutral Milk Hotel ... ... Bruce Springsteen accomplished quite a synthesis between "anthemic" and "intimate" with The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, which somehow found a middle ground between Van Morrison (Astral Weeks/Moondance), Bob Dylan (Blonde On Blonde/Highway 61) and his own period following this work ... culminating in the more arena-driven albums like Born to Run and The River (but without ever losing inspiration and personal conviction) ...
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/08/2018 02:15
  • Post subject:
A superb example of such a dichotomy, successfully undertaken, would be Talk Talk's evolution from solid dance/synth-pop -- the decent It's My Life and the excellent, more atmospheric & subtle shading of Colour of Spring, both variously echoing U2 (and Depeche Mode, Duran Duran) ... to what are essentially extremely intimate, inward and profound chamber works, with their post-rock masterpieces Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/08/2018 02:28
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Laughing

No. I don't think it did.

Damn! Adding an apocalyptic latter half to the album could've served as a metaphor to laying waste to mainstream/media culture and their own adherence to it, adding an interesting bent to the work, and a sense of irony to the album title and the proceedings.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/08/2018 02:31
  • Post subject:
Springsteen was able to down-size from Born in the USA, with Tunnel of Love, and eventually Ghost of Tom Joan etc., by essentially ditching the E Street Band (and then resuming with them at will). He set his career up well for longevity, in that respect.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/08/2018 02:46
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
That's a bit like asking them to stop breathing... haha - if it were literal. U2=live shows and for a band like them, that means large venues (well they do play clubs when they release new albums).

I liked their smaller arena shows - instead of giant 100k football stadiums, when they play 20k arenas.

That's actually something that cemented my respect for the band. I went and saw them on their 2001 Elevation tour - first real concert by a big act. They made the 20k arena feel like my living room. I mean they are masters at captivating 100k people at a show, of course they are going to melt your heart at 20k. I mean that was almost 20 years ago, but I think I've heard other members say they say them last year and did the same for them, as non-fanbois.

But I get what you mean - perhaps U2 needs to chill out from trying to tour the world and be the biggest band bit. Maybe they should do a toned down album? Maybe they should go acoustic? That'd be kind of interesting - like Foo Fighters did on In Your Honor? Edge does have some cool accoustic arrangements if you've heard them, like this (makes the song 100x better imo):

Link

Or this wasn't terrible:

Link

Maybe my imagined album would sound a bit like this

Link
  • Visit poster's website