Britpop Calling

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/16/2018 20:34
  • Post subject:
@Jimmy Dread.

Yeah-agree with your Britpop timeline totally.

Thanks for the Recs. Smile Super Furry Animals and Gorky's were class acts. I don't know those earlier albums as I got into them around 98. Will check them out at some point.

I don't know Helen Love and Whipping Boy. Will look out for them as well.

I think everyone must have a Britpop guilty pleasure. At the time Embrace came out I was very anti these kinds of guitar bands as I think I'd had my fill. Will try a few tracks at some point though. Think they are from my home town.

Your assessment of Menswear, Northern Uproar and Hurricaine#1 seems on point Laughing I'm holding out some hope for some good Shed 7 tracks though. I might be looking through rose-tinted glasses though as I did like their second album in my younger days Confused
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/16/2018 22:15
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I remember that period for having a whole shitload of albums they were kind of like one hit wonders. Lot of them i remember really fondly. Not that they were the best or anything, I just really liked them anyways. I remember these ones the best. I had albums by all these people and I liked them:

Echobelly
Lush
Cornershop
Sleeper
Kula Shaker
James
Ash
Stereophonics
Spacehog
Dandys
Placebo
Suede
Dodgy
Black grape
Sneaker Pimps

And then of course there's the more famous big names. But I was just thinking of ones that may have been forgotten.

Thanks for mentioning these bands as well. I guess they are part of Britpop's B team (apart from Suede- one of the big four) Gene fit into this category too. These kinds of bands get some stick but i reckon they had their moments too.

I definitely like some Cornershop and Ash albums. I like songs by most of those other bands too.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2018 22:16
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
@Jimmy Dread.

Thanks for the Recs. Smile Super Furry Animals and Gorky's were class acts. I don't know those earlier albums as I got into them around 98. Will check them out at some point.

I think everyone must have a Britpop guilty pleasure. At the time Embrace came out I was very anti these kinds of guitar bands as I think I'd had my fill. Will try a few tracks at some point though. Think they are from my home town.

Your assessment of Menswear, Northern Uproar and Hurricaine#1 seems on point Laughing I'm holding out some hope for some good Shed 7 tracks though. I might be looking through rose-tinted glasses though as I did like their second album in my younger days Confused

Menswear, Northern uproar and Helen love and embrace never made it to these shores (I'm in the states). I'm so curious now. I didn't know there was so many I missed.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/16/2018 22:24
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
@Jimmy Dread.

Menswear, Northern uproar and Helen love and embrace never made it to these shores (I'm in the states). I'm so curious now. I didn't know there was so many I missed.

I'm not sure if I have ever actually heard Menswear though I think I must have. They were massively hyped in the UK and then massively slated for seeming like a fake band. The British music press were annoying like this. But I think I will give them a pass all the same.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2018 23:05
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
@Bobbyb5

Thanks for these Recs Very Happy

Supergrass-In it for the Money Love this one. Saw them live in 97 not long after this was released. Maybe my favourite gig I've ever been to. Incidently they were supported by...

.... your Britpop favourite : Spacehog. I dont think I've heard that one before but just played a few tracks. Sounds promising to me. Likin' the guitars. Very glam indeed. The vocalist is a bit like Axle Rose maybe?

Boo Radley's-Giant Steps I keep hearing this is amazing. Definitely need to listen.

Kula Shaker-K I have heard this a few times. But probably not since 96! I remember quite liking it at the time but not sure if I still will do. Worth another shot though.

Charlatans-Tellin Stories Liked the singles from this and I like one of their other albums (Us and only Us). I'll put this one on my list too.

That is awesome that you saw Supergrass and Spacehog on the same night. Wow. I sure would have loved that. I have to admit that spacehog is probably only appreciated by people who have a taste for goofy music. Which I do. I've always had a weak spot for goofy bands. As long as the music is good that is. I've always preferred non-serious bands to super serious bands. And as that kind of thing goes, Spacehog is pretty funny. I still laugh my head off everytime I hear it. With a big smile on my face all the while.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/17/2018 20:00
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
@Bobbyb5

Thanks for these Recs Very Happy

Supergrass-In it for the Money Love this one. Saw them live in 97 not long after this was released. Maybe my favourite gig I've ever been to. Incidently they were supported by...

.... your Britpop favourite : Spacehog. I dont think I've heard that one before but just played a few tracks. Sounds promising to me. Likin' the guitars. Very glam indeed. The vocalist is a bit like Axle Rose maybe?

Boo Radley's-Giant Steps I keep hearing this is amazing. Definitely need to listen.

Kula Shaker-K I have heard this a few times. But probably not since 96! I remember quite liking it at the time but not sure if I still will do. Worth another shot though.

Charlatans-Tellin Stories Liked the singles from this and I like one of their other albums (Us and only Us). I'll put this one on my list too.

That is awesome that you saw Supergrass and Spacehog on the same night. Wow. I sure would have loved that. I have to admit that spacehog is probably only appreciated by people who have a taste for goofy music. Which I do. I've always had a weak spot for goofy bands. As long as the music is good that is. I've always preferred non-serious bands to super serious bands. And as that kind of thing goes, Spacehog is pretty funny. I still laugh my head off everytime I hear it. With a big smile on my face all the while.

Yeah-I get the appeal of non-serious bands. I think part of my reasoning behind listening to some Britpop albums is just that: I want to reconnect with some goofy, fun music that doesn't tax my brain too much, as well as trying to appreciate some of the artier albums from this time a little better.

I really forgot about Spacehog in the time since Britpop and I actually never realised they had some success. I think maybe they did better in the US than bands at a similar level in the UK. Probably because they had a bigger sound. I enjoyed my introduction to them on record yesterday. Will give it another listen when I'm in the mood to listen to some full on Glam pop Smile
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/17/2018 20:15
  • Post subject:
Speaking of goofy Britpop bands...

The It Girl by Sleeper

...I gave this a listen earlier today. In my estimation Sleeper weren't much more than a catchy pop singles band but on this evidence they did it well. Maybe the best UK singles band of 96? Probably could be.

Some of the albums tracks are a bit so-so and there is some singing I find a bit annoying. Overall, I think they hit the mark enough times though, particularly for a very pure pop band. I see the album as half full not half empty.

Do let me know if you think their debut is better. I've not heard that one. Picked this one as I recognised more songs on the tracklist.

Last edited by theblueboy on 01/17/2018 20:28; edited 1 time in total
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/17/2018 20:27
  • Post subject:
A good example of Britpop dress codes and eye-rolling. This performance looks in no way out of date Liar

Link
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/17/2018 20:40
  • Post subject:
Now I'm just doing TFI videos for kicks Laughing

Sound quality surprisingly good through headphones.

Link

That was badass!

Here's a nice one from the godfather of indie pop:

Link

Legend
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/17/2018 20:57
  • Post subject:
A band without a gong is not really a band:

Link