View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2018 22:31
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I bet you never heard of this Glam Rock "classic" from 1973. I actually had it on vinyl about a million years ago but I don't think I ever listened to it then. But I've always heard the notorious stories about it. How they were trying to turn him into the next David Bowie because of the success of Ziggy Stardust and the Glam Rock fad. And they spent gazillions of dollars promoting it with big Billboards in Times Square and shit. But it was a total flop. I'm listening to it now and all I can say is if you like Suede you might like it. The song "Space Clown" sounds like it must have been the first song the guy in suede ever heard. Lol. Very glammy singing.

Jobriath by Jobriath

True. I never heard of this one! Maybe it was influential on Britpop then. That's interesting. Thanks for letting me know about this guy. Might check it out at some point.

I gave it a listen. Space Clown and Blown Away were decent efforts! Yeah pure glam and totally Bowie-esque. I really wouldn't be surprised if Suede were listening to this. Overall I thought it pretty competent but nothing too exciting for me.

Competent!!!???? Shocked Shocked Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/25/2018 07:49
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I bet you never heard of this Glam Rock "classic" from 1973. I actually had it on vinyl about a million years ago but I don't think I ever listened to it then. But I've always heard the notorious stories about it. How they were trying to turn him into the next David Bowie because of the success of Ziggy Stardust and the Glam Rock fad. And they spent gazillions of dollars promoting it with big Billboards in Times Square and shit. But it was a total flop. I'm listening to it now and all I can say is if you like Suede you might like it. The song "Space Clown" sounds like it must have been the first song the guy in suede ever heard. Lol. Very glammy singing.

Jobriath by Jobriath

True. I never heard of this one! Maybe it was influential on Britpop then. That's interesting. Thanks for letting me know about this guy. Might check it out at some point.

I gave it a listen. Space Clown and Blown Away were decent efforts! Yeah pure glam and totally Bowie-esque. I really wouldn't be surprised if Suede were listening to this. Overall I thought it pretty competent but nothing too exciting for me.

I’m becoming curious about this album. I should check it out to see who is right Wink
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/25/2018 14:49
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:

Jobriath by Jobriath

Laughing Yeah. I wasn't offended by it or anything! It has a decent enough glam feel to it. Ok guitars and vocals. I wasn't impressed really but I wasn't appalled or anything!

It's definitely a Bowie impersonation though. Mixed with some Mick Jagger impersonating as well!
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/25/2018 14:51
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
[quot e="bobbyb5"]I bet you never heard of this Glam Rock "classic" from 1973. I actually had it on vinyl about a million years ago but I don't think I ever listened to it then. But I've always heard the notorious stories about it. How they were trying to turn him into the next David Bowie because of the success of Ziggy Stardust and the Glam Rock fad. And they spent gazillions of dollars promoting it with big Billboards in Times Square and shit. But it was a total flop. I'm listening to it now and all I can say is if you like Suede you might like it. The song "Space Clown" sounds like it must have been the first song the guy in suede ever heard. Lol. Very glammy singing.

Jobriath by Jobriath

I’m becoming curious about this album. I should check it out to see who is right Wink[/quote]

Yes that would be helpful. We need an independent adjudicator hehe
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/25/2018 16:27
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
dihansse wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
[quot e="Michael1981"][quot e="bobbyb5"]I bet you never heard of this Glam Rock "classic" from 1973. I actually had it on vinyl about a million years ago but I don't think I ever listened to it then. But I've always heard the notorious stories about it. How they were trying to turn him into the next David Bowie because of the success of Ziggy Stardust and the Glam Rock fad. And they spent gazillions of dollars promoting it with big Billboards in Times Square and shit. But it was a total flop. I'm listening to it now and all I can say is if you like Suede you might like it. The song "Space Clown" sounds like it must have been the first song the guy in suede ever heard. Lol. Very glammy singing.

Jobriath by Jobriath

I’m becoming curious about this album. I should check it out to see who is right Wink[/quote]

Yes that would be helpful. We need an independent adjudicator hehe[/quote]
I listened to Take Me I'm Yours, Blow Away an Space Clown on Youtube (didn't find it on Apple Music) and of course it's completely derivative and is a bit a mixture of David Bowie and the most bombastic Elton John but I cannot deny in has a certain charm in its bombasticness.
I don't know if I would ever listen to this again but it matches lots of the music that was made around that time and maybe it's not even the worst. So conclusion: not as bad as Bobby said and why not use the word competent: the music is well-delivered but so over the top that the emotional message it's trying to deliver is just suffocated in all the surrounding whistles and bells.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/25/2018 18:04
  • Post subject:
Oh. Good synopsis Dihansse!

Looks like I was right Laughing

Still not sure why Morressey likes it so much Confused The cover is good though. That might be the best thing. And some of the lyrics were pretty outrageous for the time (blow away!!??) Maybe this is what some people really like.

I read that sadly Jobriath died of AIDS in the 80s. Doesn't effect the quality of the music but people might have been intrigued by his life story as well.
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/27/2018 18:28
  • Post subject:

Now I'm a Cowboy by the Auteurs

I am really growing to appreciate this band. Well worthy of cult status!

I dont like this one quite as much as the debut but its not far off. The best tracks I keep wanting to listen to again and again. The melodies are so strong and uplifting and the lyrics are really original and intriguing. Chinese Bakery, Underground Movies and Daughter of a Child are all just great songs. For some reason a lot of people like Lenny Valentino by this band a lot. I like that one too, but it doesn't really stand out for me. This album probably suffers a bit from not really building on the debut and I don't think it flows quite as well (I just listened to New Wave again and if anything its going up in my estimation-just a killer album!) This is still pretty great though as its just a really good collection of songs.
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/27/2018 18:40
  • Post subject:
Here's a chart update. I just cant include Jobriath unfortunately lol

New entries in bold. Not long before this becomes a custom chart Cool

The Outstanding
Blur-Modern Life is Rubbish
Denim-Back in Denim
The La's- The La's
The Auteurs-New Wave
Saint Etienne- Fox Base Alpha
Blur-Blur
Pulp-This is Hardcore
Suede-Suede

The Very good/great
Pulp-A different class
Elastica-Elastica
Various- Trainspotting Soundtrack
Blur- Parklife
Supergrass-I should Coco
The Divine Comedy- Casanova
Suede- Dog Man Star
Catatonia- International Velvet
Gomez- Bring it on
The Auteurs-Now I'm a Cowboy
Edwyn Collins- Gorgeous George
Strangelove-Love and other Demons
Super Furry Animals-Fuzzy Logic
Cornershop- When I was born for the Seventh Time
The lightning Seeds- Jollification
Gorkys Zygotic Mynci-Barafundle
Supergrass-Life on other planets
Texas-White on Blond
Echobelly-Everyone's got one

The Decent/ Good
Pulp-His 'N' Hers
Denim-Denim on Ice
Shed Seven- A maximum High
Travis-Good Geeling
Ocean Colour Scene-Marchin Already
Sleeper- The it girl
Spacehog-Resident Alien
The Longpigs-The Sun is often out
Stereophonics- Word gets around
Gene- Drawn to the deep end
Cast-All Change
Kula Shaker-K
Black Grape-Stupid, Stupid, Stupid
Blur-The Great Escape
Oasis-What's the Story (Morning Glory)
The Verve-Urban Hymns
Oasis-Definitely Maybe

The Average
The Bluetones- Expecting to fly
Travis- The Man Who
Suede-Coming Up

The albums I don't think fit into my britpop list
House of Love-Butterfly Album (Outstanding)
The Boo Radley's- Giant Steps (Very good/ Great)
Primal Scream -Vanishing Point (Very good/ Great)
Teenage Fanclub- Grand Prix (Outstanding)
Inspiral Carpets- Life (Very good/ great)
Inspiral Carpets- Devil hopping (Very good/ great)
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/28/2018 14:54
  • Post subject:
Chapeau to the Charlatans!

Tellin Stories by the Charlatans
Its been a long time coming in this diary, but finally its time to give some well deserved love to the Charlatans!! They managed to survive both britpop and baggy eras and as far as I can tell keep putting out consistently strong material.

Most people see Tellin' Stories as the band at the peak of their powers. I like it- the album has a great energy. There's not so many great tunes but definitely a few good ones and some decidedly great grooves. I was actually surprised at how funky this album is (believing they had more or less left their groove based sound behind). Actually the album is quite split between funkier stuff and Stonesy rock. At times it feels like a dance record and I think they are probably at their best when just locking into a groove and riding it out-the last few minutes of "Get on it" really shows this.

"One to Another" is the other standout for me. It has a killer riff that has so much swagger. I was thinking this would have been even better walk on music on TFI Friday than Ocean Colour Scene's "River Boat Song" as it just has more energy and swagger! Actually there are a few similarities between the Charlies and Ocean Colour Scene at this point. Both know their 60s RnB and like to lock into a groove. I prefers the Charlatans though. The difference is they make me want to head to the dancefloor whilst Ocean Colour Scene make me tap my foot.

Us and Us only by the Charlatans
This one is cool too. It followed Tellin Stories but this time around they are less funky (though its still there a bit). It has a bit less energy but the songwriting is probably getting stronger though. The Stones influence is really prominent (and quite exile era) and there is some mid 60s Dylan come through too. Most of the songs have a nice kind of bounce and shuffle to them. Though the lead track Forever is more of a psychedelic groovey thing built around a keyboard riff. It's a great track and one of my favourites of theirs.

I dont know any of their other albums so let me know if they have even better ones Smile
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/30/2018 16:40
  • Post subject:
Remember we were talking about Grebo? Just came across this article in the Guardian.

A lot of people are wondering about why we all forgot about The Wonderstuff and Pop Will Eat itself in between Madchester and Britpop as those bands were pretty big!

I always thought Carter USM sounded terrible (they were a flatmates favourite band). Maybe I ought to re-evaluate this era though as that was a long time ago when I was very particular in my tastes.