View previous topic :: View next topic
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/30/2018 16:50
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Chapeau to the Charlatans!

Tellin Stories by the Charlatans
Its been a long time coming in this diary, but finally its time to give some well deserved love to the Charlatans!! They managed to survive both britpop and baggy eras and as far as I can tell keep putting out consistently strong material.

Most people see Tellin' Stories as the band at the peak of their powers. I like it- the album has a great energy. There's not so many great tunes but definitely a few good ones and some decidedly great grooves. I was actually surprised at how funky this album is (believing they had more or less left their groove based sound behind). Actually the album is quite split between funkier stuff and Stonesy rock. At times it feels like a dance record and I think they are probably at their best when just locking into a groove and riding it out-the last few minutes of "Get on it" really shows this.

"One to Another" is the other standout for me. It has a killer riff that has so much swagger. I was thinking this would have been even better walk on music on TFI Friday than Ocean Colour Scene's "River Boat Song" as it just has more energy and swagger! Actually there are a few similarities between the Charlies and Ocean Colour Scene at this point. Both know their 60s RnB and like to lock into a groove. I prefers the Charlatans though. The difference is they make me want to head to the dancefloor whilst Ocean Colour Scene make me tap my foot.

Us and Us only by the Charlatans
This one is cool too. It followed Tellin Stories but this time around they are less funky (though its still there a bit). It has a bit less energy but the songwriting is probably getting stronger though. The Stones influence is really prominent (and quite exile era) and there is some mid 60s Dylan come through too. Most of the songs have a nice kind of bounce and shuffle to them. Though the lead track Forever is more of a psychedelic groovey thing built around a keyboard riff. It's a great track and one of my favourites of theirs.

I dont know any of their other albums so let me know if they have even better ones Smile

Personally I like these two the best...

Some Friendly by The Charlatans

Up To Our Hips by The Charlatans
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/30/2018 16:56
  • Post subject:
Oh Thanks. They both have good covers!

Up to our Hips seems to be a few people's favourite but it has passed me by completely so far. I'll check it out!
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/30/2018 20:10
  • Post subject:
I'd say tellin stories was my favourite though I can't remember playing it in years. Two of my favourites by them are on here, the title track and how high. Remember both tracks making me very emotional watching them in the sun at a festival after something we smoked Laughing
Up to our hips is probably my second. Made in a phase when they were bang into the beastie boys. It's laid back and funky. They have a fairly consistently strong catalogue, though I doubt you would hear many say they were their favourite band. They do tend to sometimes take more than an influence from acts over the years, I'm thinking mostly of Tim virtually aping people like Ian brown, Liam Gallagher and bobby Gillespie at various stages. Certainly not now. Love how they come through the tragedies and remained strong. Always a very good live act.
They got loads of play from me through the madchester and britpop eras.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/30/2018 20:56
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
I'd say tellin stories was my favourite though I can't remember playing it in years. Two of my favourites by them are on here, the title track and how high. Remember both tracks making me very emotional watching them in the sun at a festival after something we smoked Laughing
Up to our hips is probably my second. Made in a phase when they were bang into the beastie boys. It's laid back and funky. They have a fairly consistently strong catalogue, though I doubt you would hear many say they were their favourite band. They do tend to sometimes take more than an influence from acts over the years, I'm thinking mostly of Tim virtually aping people like Ian brown, Liam Gallagher and bobby Gillespie at various stages. Certainly not now. Love how they come through the tragedies and remained strong. Always a very good live act.

Yeah. Well said. They are great survivors of different eras and like you said no-one really loves them but they keep on churning out good stuff. How High is one of my fav's of theirs too.
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/30/2018 22:25
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Graeme2 wrote:

Yeah. Well said. They are great survivors of different eras and like you said no-one really loves them but they keep on churning out good stuff. How High is one of my fav's of theirs too.

I've not heard their last but the previous was very good. Enjoyed it more than the blur one from the same time and that was decent. Seemed to come back with purpose after the death of their drummer. I definately have a soft spot for them.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2018 00:44
  • Post subject:
This is the way Britpop should have done neo- glam. Next to David Bowie, this guy was by far the most awesome Glam rocker. It was only a huge sir in Britain though. Unfortunately he never made it in the states. It's a shame. These albums are awesome.

The Human Menagerie by Cockney Rebel

The Psychomodo by Cockney Rebel [/url

[url=https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=64171]Love's A Prima Donna by Steve Harley And Cockney Rebel
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/31/2018 15:00
  • Post subject:
I don't really know Cockney Rebel but I know the one that goes "Come up and see me, make me smile". That's really great! I'll make a note of them for when I check out some more glam rock. I like what I've heard of Roxy Music as well.
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/03/2018 11:59
  • Post subject:
OK folks. I done this Britpop Chart!!!

I've added a few other fav's I've not got round to talking about in the diary.

And then I got rid of all the post-britpop, pre-britpop things and even some of the more tenuously britpop albums we've been talking about so now its just a cool top 40 Shocked Shocked

I figured those other ones I really like are on my overall and decade charts anyway and I wanted this chart to be really britpop.

It's not finished as there are probably some more albums for me to check out and plenty to revisit but i will do this as the muse moves me hehe. I'm putting this listening project to bed now, but I might post some more on this thread when I listen to some more stuff.

Thanks again for all the comments and recs Smile Smile Smile Party Dancing

Shine on!!!!