Britpop Calling

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/14/2018 18:09
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I bet you never heard of this Glam Rock "classic" from 1973. I actually had it on vinyl about a million years ago but I don't think I ever listened to it then. But I've always heard the notorious stories about it. How they were trying to turn him into the next David Bowie because of the success of Ziggy Stardust and the Glam Rock fad. And they spent gazillions of dollars promoting it with big Billboards in Times Square and shit. But it was a total flop. I'm listening to it now and all I can say is if you like Suede you might like it. The song "Space Clown" sounds like it must have been the first song the guy in suede ever heard. Lol. Very glammy singing.

Jobriath by Jobriath

True. I never heard of this one! Maybe it was influential on Britpop then. That's interesting. Thanks for letting me know about this guy. Might check it out at some point.
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/22/2018 19:23
  • Post subject:
Apologies for the wait. There is a temporary lull in proceedings with this diary!

Became a bit preoccupied with other life matters recently as I have a poorly friend. Britpop is maybe not the best music for times like this and I am having a quieter time instead.

I might feel more like continuing with this project in a couple of weeks or so Smile

Nearly there anyway I think so would be good to finish properly and create my first BEA custom chart!!

Also thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. That has been awesome! Everyone's contributions have been very welcome but special thanks to Bobby for your regular ideas and recs Smile
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2018 13:31
  • Post subject:
Thanx for the shout-out. That was nice.

Sorry you're feeling down. I know that when we'ree down we feel like listening to downer music. But the best thing to do is to rock and roll those blues away. Or if that doesn't work, then disco those blues away. Heh heh.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2018 13:34
  • Post subject:
I just noticed something today. That Jobriath album cover looks like the Pulp album This is hardcore. Doesn't it?? I never thought of that before. I need to go put it in my Look-alike Albums thread right away.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/23/2018 14:41
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Thanx for the shout-out. That was nice.

Sorry you're feeling down. I know that when we'ree down we feel like listening to downer music. But the best thing to do is to rock and roll those blues away. Or if that doesn't work, then disco those blues away. Heh heh.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah "add some music to your day" as the Beach Boys said! Smile
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/23/2018 14:44
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I just noticed something today. That Jobriath album cover looks like the Pulp album This is hardcore. Doesn't it?? I never thought of that before. I need to go put it in my Look-alike Albums thread right away.

Wow. It really is! Must be that they copied it. It's too similar to be a coincidence, surely.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2018 14:49
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Wow. It really is! Must be that they copied it. It's too similar to be a coincidence, surely.

I don't know about that. Jobriath only sold about three copies. But you never know, maybe they did see it. Very possible.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/23/2018 20:54
  • Post subject:
Apparently that Jobriath record is a big favourite of morrisey. I'd never heard of it before until I saw it in some list of his faves. So indirectly it was influential on britpop if it influenced mr mozz. And maybe suede and pulp are fans too.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2018 20:58
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
Apparently that Jobriath record is a big favourite of morrisey. I'd never heard of it before until I saw it in some list of his faves. So indirectly it was influential on britpop if it influenced mr mozz. And maybe suede and pulp are fans too.

Every one of those you named are 10 times better. Jobriath is one of the worst albums you have ever heard. It's such a blatant attempt to be Ziggy Stardust. It's just truly horrid. It is laugh out loud funny. I just found out he actually made a second album. Can hardly wait to hear that one.lol
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/24/2018 14:39
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I bet you never heard of this Glam Rock "classic" from 1973. I actually had it on vinyl about a million years ago but I don't think I ever listened to it then. But I've always heard the notorious stories about it. How they were trying to turn him into the next David Bowie because of the success of Ziggy Stardust and the Glam Rock fad. And they spent gazillions of dollars promoting it with big Billboards in Times Square and shit. But it was a total flop. I'm listening to it now and all I can say is if you like Suede you might like it. The song "Space Clown" sounds like it must have been the first song the guy in suede ever heard. Lol. Very glammy singing.

Jobriath by Jobriath

True. I never heard of this one! Maybe it was influential on Britpop then. That's interesting. Thanks for letting me know about this guy. Might check it out at some point.

I gave it a listen. Space Clown and Blown Away were decent efforts! Yeah pure glam and totally Bowie-esque. I really wouldn't be surprised if Suede were listening to this. Overall I thought it pretty competent but nothing too exciting for me.