2%
 2%  [1]
2%
 2%  [1]
Total Votes : 39

rkm

• Posted: 01/17/2018 20:09
  • Post subject:
Side note - why is it that consumers have a shorter attention span for music these days, but have developed a longer attention span for binge watching a TV series on Netflix?
  • Visit poster's website
sunnydhamm

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2018 20:32
  • Post subject:
03-07 in my opinion is the best 5 year stretch for music ever. 06 stands out a little over the rest with albums like Underoath - Define the Great Line, Brand New - Devil And God, Norma Jean - Redeemer, etc
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 00:51
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Side note - why is it that consumers have a shorter attention span for music these days, but have developed a longer attention span for binge watching a TV series on Netflix?

I've wondered the same exact thing. I think television is incredibly overrated.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 02:19
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Quote:

AAL2014 wrote:
I've wondered the same exact thing. I think television is incredibly overrated.

There actually have been times when I'm listening to something and choose to turn off the lights or what have you to give my full attention.

I'm thinking it's some people are more visual than others, so they want something to captivate them (likely why a good chunk of people rely on YouTube for music?). Sometimes there's a fine line I think to when the music is a distraction to the visual and the visual is a distraction to the music, but if done right I think music videos can be pretty powerful.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 01/18/2018 02:56
  • Post subject:
checked chart, i am a bird now was 2005, went with that
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 10:05
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:

For the average person, I think a serialized TV show they like is, without commercials, more addictive than listening to albums. Also, an exact analogy between a TV episode and an album can't be drawn. TV episodes are the shortest form of video people watch (I'm not counting short online video), while albums are the longest form of music people listen to. So a person bingewatching part of a TV season they love is more like one of us listening to a bunch of our favorite songs on shuffle, at least as far as addictiveness goes.

I think the biggest difference between many people's consumption of music and movies/TV shows (folks who are the opposite of the members here) is that music serves more of a functional role. They listen to the radio or stream when commuting, listen with earbuds while they're working out -- some are able to listen while they're actually working. They put it on in the background when they have guests over, dance to it in clubs and at parties. I think the increasing portability of music, first with the Walkman, then mp3 players and now streaming, has increased the practical relationship many people have with music. So I think that people, partly because of these technological changes (I deliberately avoided using the word "advances"!), are deliberately choosing not to give music their undivided attention much of the time.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 11:07
  • Post subject:
it was between 2002 and 2004 for me i went with 2004
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 01/18/2018 21:29
  • Post subject:
I was going to bring this kind of disscussion in the 2010's, on why some of us have the feeling that music has gone (generally speaking, of course) worse in the 2010's or why, and I think there is more consensus here, albums have lost importance in a society characterized by immediateness.

Immediateness in many ways, not only music. TV series have already been mentioned. It is something similar in that sense (but opposite in another, see next paragraph); now people prefer to watch the TV for 20 or 40 minutes instead of watching a long two hour film. But there, unlike AAL2014, I think that we are having lots of high quality art made. Many TV series like Fargo, Black Mirror or True Detective and so many others are better than the average film now or 20 years ago, nowadays and many screenwriters and directors feel that they have more creative freedom on a TV series than on a film.

So we are given in short doses well crafted and complicated stories in many TV series, but, I agree on PurpleHazel on this one, it is a different process than the music. Why? Well, we watch an episode today, the next one tomorrow and the next one a week later while it would be absurd to do this on a concept album. As someone said before, we can listen to music while we go to work or while we go running but we can't do this with TV series.

I form part of a generation in which we want to do so much stuff a day (not only at work but with social media, internet games, sports and gym, again TV series...) that we can't stay just listening to a one hour album and finding all the art in it. We find it more immediately satisfying to go on youtube or spotify and watch and listen to the latest Fonsi (Despacito) or Bieber hit (I agree with sethmadsen on the attractive power of the images there), or listen to a mashup of the top hits of 2017 or of the history of music (immediateness!). Of course all of this is speaking generally, and this last part doesn't apply in my case Razz But I do find it harder to sit down and concentrate on an album without checking my facebook or whatsapp or reading some blog (or this forum!), for example. 5-10 years ago this was easier for me.

Sorry to have gone a little offtopic and for such a long post but I wanted to express somewhere these thoughts I have d'oh!. Back to topic, as I said before, the 2000's were a fantastic decade for music in my opinon, but it's true that 2008 and 2009 started hinting what the 2010's would be.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2018 01:55
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
I was going to bring this kind of disscussion in the 2010's, on why some of us have the feeling that music has gone (generally speaking, of course) worse in the 2010's or why, and I think there is more consensus here, albums have lost importance in a society characterized by immediateness.

Immediateness in many ways, not only music. TV series have already been mentioned. It is something similar in that sense (but opposite in another, see next paragraph); now people prefer to watch the TV for 20 or 40 minutes instead of watching a long two hour film. But there, unlike AAL2014, I think that we are having lots of high quality art made. Many TV series like Fargo, Black Mirror or True Detective and so many others are better than the average film now or 20 years ago, nowadays and many screenwriters and directors feel that they have more creative freedom on a TV series than on a film.

So we are given in short doses well crafted and complicated stories in many TV series, but, I agree on PurpleHazel on this one, it is a different process than the music. Why? Well, we watch an episode today, the next one tomorrow and the next one a week later while it would be absurd to do this on a concept album. As someone said before, we can listen to music while we go to work or while we go running but we can't do this with TV series.

I form part of a generation in which we want to do so much stuff a day (not only at work but with social media, internet games, sports and gym, again TV series...) that we can't stay just listening to a one hour album and finding all the art in it. We find it more immediately satisfying to go on youtube or spotify and watch and listen to the latest Fonsi (Despacito) or Bieber hit (I agree with sethmadsen on the attractive power of the images there), or listen to a mashup of the top hits of 2017 or of the history of music (immediateness!). Of course all of this is speaking generally, and this last part doesn't apply in my case Razz But I do find it harder to sit down and concentrate on an album without checking my facebook or whatsapp or reading some blog (or this forum!), for example. 5-10 years ago this was easier for me.

Sorry to have gone a little offtopic and for such a long post but I wanted to express somewhere these thoughts I have d'oh!. Back to topic, as I said before, the 2000's were a fantastic decade for music in my opinon, but it's true that 2008 and 2009 started hinting what the 2010's would be.

You make a lot of great points, however I don't deny that there is a massive amount of great art in the realm of television. I adore Breaking Bad, masterpiece writing, directing, cinematography, etc. I just never sit down to watch traditional television much anymore. If I'm sitting down to watch much of anything it's normally content creators on Youtube.

How about that idea though, a concept album with each song being released independently like a television series. Has that ever happened before?
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2018 02:44
  • Post subject:
Modal soul
Illinois
I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
The Campfire Headphase
Late Registration
  • Visit poster's website