Pet Sounds or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Pet Sounds vs. Sgt. Pepper
Pet Sounds
55%
 55%  [32]
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club
44%
 44%  [26]
Total Votes : 58

LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/29/2018 11:56
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Hmmm... I think they aren't really comparable albums. I mean I think they both are fantastic in their own ways.

I find Sgt. Pepper more appealing and way less depressing. Pet Sounds can be really hard for me to listen to at times lyrically (I wasn't made for this world).

As for effort/the genius of them musically, I think they are both comparable, or at least on the same level, whether you like them or not.

I would say that Revolver is much more comparable to Pet Sounds than Sgt Pepper.

Agree, both are genius efforts, whether you like it or not.
As for comparison, I've always thought that chronologically it went like this: In My Life (arguably first baroque pop sound in a song) -> Pet Sounds (full art/baroque pop) -> Sgt. Pepper (The Beatles trying to "beat" The Beach Boys at art pop)
Revolver was released approx. a month after Pet Sounds, and it has only a few songs I'd say are "art pop". Sgt Pepper however is imo based on that sound, and so is Pet Sounds. It's more about that mentality, "hey let's make A COHERENT CONCEPT ALBUM rather than a bunch of very good songs like Revolver". Not saying that Revolver isn't coherent or anything, but u get my point. Thus Pet Sounds vs. Pepper and not Pet Sounds vs. Revolver.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
saltysurprise
Sippin' bitches' brew in the 36th Chamber

Canada

• Posted: 01/29/2018 19:52
  • Post subject:
While I prefer some individual tracks from Sgt Pepper and like the Beatles better in terms of discography, I gotta go with Pet Sounds. It works better for me as a complete album, whereas Sgt Pepper begins to fall apart for me after Lucy.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 21:46
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Hmmm... I think they aren't really comparable albums. I mean I think they both are fantastic in their own ways.

I find Sgt. Pepper more appealing and way less depressing. Pet Sounds can be really hard for me to listen to at times lyrically (I wasn't made for this world).

As for effort/the genius of them musically, I think they are both comparable, or at least on the same level, whether you like them or not.

I would say that Revolver is much more comparable to Pet Sounds than Sgt Pepper.

As for comparison, I've always thought that chronologically it went like this: In My Life (arguably first baroque pop sound in a song) -> Pet Sounds (full art/baroque pop) -> Sgt. Pepper (The Beatles trying to "beat" The Beach Boys at art pop)
Revolver was released approx. a month after Pet Sounds, and it has only a few songs I'd say are "art pop". Sgt Pepper however is imo based on that sound, and so is Pet Sounds. It's more about that mentality, "hey let's make A COHERENT CONCEPT ALBUM rather than a bunch of very good songs like Revolver". Not saying that Revolver isn't coherent or anything, but u get my point. Thus Pet Sounds vs. Pepper and not Pet Sounds vs. Revolver.

Makes sense. I think I still agree that the style/mode of the music of Pet Sounds, while it has magnificent arrangements/orchestrations, are more or less on the same level of a pop song, whereas sgt pepper's arrangements, etc. are FAR more surreal and really just on a different level.

I am not certain how to classify Pet Sounds musically, but psychedelic or surreal isn't really on the plate, imo. And this is why I don't think they are comparable.

I hope you realize I'm agreeing with you and disagreeing with you at the same time, yet they both make sense to me... haha.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 21:47
  • Post subject:
Also, have you tried Hare Krishna?
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 01/29/2018 21:59
  • Post subject:
They both flow like a dream, perhaps even more so back in the sixities when it was so new. Because, now it's like listening to Singing in the Rain: enchanting, but from the past (I'm thinking of the kids..)

A quick note/question on Pet Sounds: Perhaps it's just me but I find the drums a bit static: all these cymbals...
Do you think i's a flaw or that it adds something to the album ? Was it made on purpose, to sound like a dreamy fanfare or something? I'd be curious to have you guys opinion on this.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/29/2018 22:18
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
LedZep wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Makes sense. I think I still agree that the style/mode of the music of Pet Sounds, while it has magnificent arrangements/orchestrations, are more or less on the same level of a pop song, whereas sgt pepper's arrangements, etc. are FAR more surreal and really just on a different level.

I am not certain how to classify Pet Sounds musically, but psychedelic or surreal isn't really on the plate, imo. And this is why I don't think they are comparable.

I hope you realize I'm agreeing with you and disagreeing with you at the same time, yet they both make sense to me... haha.

Interesting point. I think this is why I prefer Pet Sounds. It pushes conventional pop to its limit but remains completely pop and relatable. Sgt Pepper goes beyond this. It works for me as it's charming and imaginative, but I don't think it's as relatable as Pet Sounds.
theblueboy

• Posted: 01/29/2018 22:23
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
They both flow like a dream, perhaps even more so back in the sixities when it was so new. Because, now it's like listening to Singing in the Rain: enchanting, but from the past (I'm thinking of the kids..)

A quick note/question on Pet Sounds: Perhaps it's just me but I find the drums a bit static: all these cymbals...
Do you think i's a flaw or that it adds something to the album ? Was it made on purpose, to sound like a dreamy fanfare or something? I'd be curious to have you guys opinion on this.

Hmm. I never noticed a problem with the drums. I don't think I really pick out the cymbals so much. I've always loved the big base drum rolls on Let's go awhile for awhile. I think a few bands have copied this sound exactly (Boo Radleys being an example I heard the other day).
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/29/2018 22:41
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:

Definitely intentional. I think it is one of the details that differenciate Pet Sounds from most things done in that era. Constantly pushing the boundaries of seemingly simple pop song.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/29/2018 22:55
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
LedZep wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Totally agree. I do slightly prefer Pet Sounds, but I'm too not sure how to classify the album. It is true that orchestrations on Sgt. Pepper's sound more complex (courtesy of George Martin), but the overall atmosphere and emotions on Pet Sounds surpass it in the end. Well, it's totally subjective.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2018 00:37
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Totally agree. I do slightly prefer Pet Sounds, but I'm too not sure how to classify the album. It is true that orchestrations on Sgt. Pepper's sound more complex (courtesy of George Martin), but the overall atmosphere and emotions on Pet Sounds surpass it in the end. Well, it's totally subjective.

Great points. George Martin vs Brian Wilson right? I mean the Beatles themselves "sampled" sounds and the such, but the orchestrations that make the Beatles cut above, really is George Martin. Even if his orchestrations by themselves are completely boring on Yellow Submarine. Brian Wilson, however, did it all in his own right, so that is fantastic.

As far as the depth of emotions... I think that is indeed subjective, as you say. Pet Sounds definitely is more serious and potentially more deep, but I also think there's quite a bit of mature/modern emotion throughout Pepper, but nothing is emotionally more captivating from both works, imo, as A Day In A Life. It is more raw emotional and less cognitively so, putting you in the drivers seat so to speak.

But alas, it is subjective. Both great works and both fantastic... except I do honestly rate Sgt. Pepper 2nd on my overall and Pet Sounds only makes a 69... (please don't murder me in my sleep). That may sound really low, but keep in mind my chart at #100 is an 87 album in my book... so still REALLY highly valued album.
  • Visit poster's website