6%  [3]
2%
 2%  [1]
Total Votes : 50

AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 17:34
  • Post subject: Best Year For Music- Semifinals- Part 1: 60's, 70's, & 8
On to the next round. We're done with all of the individual decades and we had so much good conversation and recommendations thrown out as a result. I hope everyone has had fun with this so far, however this is where it begins to get interesting.

For this next round we will be putting the highest vote-getters of the 60's,70's, and 80's in a poll. The poll to follow this one will feature the highest vote-getters from the 90's, 00's, and 10's polls, and the top vote-getters from both Semifinals polls will move on to a final voting round in which the winner will be based on a points system rather than poll.

Top 4 move on to the final round. Here are the choices from the 60's, 70's, and 80's polls. 7 Days to vote!

-Revolver- The Beatles, Pet Sounds- Beach Boys, Blonde On Blonde- Bob Dylan, Aftermath- The Rolling Stones, Freak Out!- Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, Sounds of Silence- Simon & Garfunkel, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme- Simon & Garfunkel, The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators, Black Monk Time- Monks, Ascension- John Coltrane

-Sgt Pepper- The Beatles, The Velvet Underground & Nico, The Doors (s/t), Are You Experienced- Jimi Hendrix, Forever Changes- Love, Magical Mystery Tour- The Beatles, The Piper At The Gates of Dawn- Pink Floyd, Songs of Leonard Cohen, Axis: Bold As Love- Jimi Hendrix, Disraeli Gears- Cream

-Abbey Road- The Beatles, In The Court of the Crimson King- King Crimson, Led Zeppelin II, Let It Bleed- The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin I, The Velvet Underground (s/t), Tommy- The Who, Trout Mask Replica- Captain Beefheart, Five Leaves Left- Nick Drake, The Band (s/t)

-Paranoid- Black Sabbath, After the Gold Rush- Neil Young, Bridge Over Troubled Water- Simon and Garfunkel, Plastic Ono Band- John Lennon, Led Zeppelin III, Moondance- Van Morrison, All Things Must Pass- George Harrison, Fun House- The Stooges, Bitches Brew- Miles Davis, Let It Be- The Beatles

- Led Zeppelin IV, Who's Next- The Who, Hunky Dory- David Bowie, What's Going On- Marvin Gaye, Sticky Fingers- The Rolling Stones, Blue- Joni Mitchell, Meddle- Pink Floyd, Tago Mago- Can, L.A. Woman- The Doors, Fragile- Yes

-Rumors- Fleetwood Mac, Animals- Pink Floyd, Marquee Moon- Television, Low- David Bowie, Nevermind The Bullocks- Sex Pistols, The Clash (s/t), Aja- Steely Dan, Exodus- Bob Marley & The Wailers, "Heroes"- David Bowie, The Stranger- Billy Joel

-Remain In Light- Talking Heads, Closer- Joy Division, Back In Black- AC/DC, Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables- Dead Kennedys, The River- Bruce Springsteen, Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)- David Bowie, Peter Gabriel III, The Pretenders (s/t), Sandista!- The Clash, Seventeen Seconds- The Cure

-Purple Rain- Prince, The Smiths (s/t), Ride The Lightning- Metallica, Born In The USA- Bruce Springsteen, Let It Be- The Replacements, Legend- Bob Marley, Hatful of Hollow- The Smiths, Double Nickels On the Dime- Minutemen, Treasure- Cocteau Twins, The Unforgettable Fire- U2

-Doolittle- Pixies, The Stones Roses (s/t), Disintegration- The Cure, Paul's Boutique- Beastie Boys, On Fire- Galaxie 500, Bleach- Nirvana, 3 Feet High and Rising- De La Soul, Pretty Hate Machine- Nine Inch Nails, Full Moon Fever- Tom Petty, New York- Lou Reed
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 17:39
  • Post subject:

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/29/2018 19:06
  • Post subject:
I'd always thought of myself as 70s and 90s guy. And now looking at those years and albums, 1984 just seems the best... The most diverse and interesting. Several of my favourites:

Anthrax - Fistful of Metal
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA (maybe a bit overrated in his own discography, but it's Springsteen!)
The Cult - Dreamtime (severely underrated)
The Cure - The Top (not as good as The Head on the Door but a great pop/goth record)
Dire Straits - Alchemy
Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1 of 3 best albums of the year)
Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
Marillion - Fugazi
Metallica - Ride The Lightning (1 of 3 best albums of the year)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - From Her To Eternity (a great year for post-punk)
Queensryche - The Warning
Rush - Grace Under Pressure (one of the most underrated albums ever, one of my fave Rush records)
The Smiths - debut & The Hatful Of Hollow (1 of 3 best albums of the year & a great compilation of singles)
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire & Wide Awake In America (both too good)

2020s
90s

Last edited by LedZep on 01/29/2018 23:22; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 19:32
  • Post subject:
until the last year 1977 would be my easy pick. Recently discovered about a dozen more albums I love from 69 however, and 4 or 5 of those dozen just took over my life.

Namely, as a singer/songwriter enthusiast, it seems '69 was the moment when that whole world just blew up. The true momentous singer/songwriter albums from that year all had a unique flavor and angle on the genre. I mean Looks Like rain by Mickey Newbury is so inconceivably amazing i can't even. But on top of that Neil Young released his first classic that year, Joni made her first masterpiece that year, Melanie killed it that year (of which I have a signed copy of ... Candles in the rain that is... yeah I am sooooo coooool, jk), of course townes his first and second (even better) masterpices of songwriting legend, Tim Buckley ditto, Scott Walker ditto ditto, John Phillips from SA released one of the greatest albums ever that year all quiet like, Leonard Cophen released his greatest album that year, Steve Young's 1969 album is low key near-perfect, Nick Drake released his debut, oh yeah and this guy named Bob Dylan released an album which (along with some other albums of the year and also 1968) kicked off that whole country rock thing.

Speaking of which, Gilded Palace of Friggin' Sin! The Band! The Stones were doing cool stuff with blues and country too. Cash released At San Quentin which is every bit as good as Folsom.

Also, Gal Costa s/t is gorgeous, and oh that album I recently finally fell for In The Court of the Crimson.

Also, some other albums that need to be mentioned are the beatles album of the year is pretty good, ditto Kinks, ditto CCR, ditto The Velvet Underground, ditto 2 LZ albums, ditto Dolly Parton's 2 albuyms of the year, Zappa, freakin Isaac Hayes HOT BUTTERED SOUL, freakin' Sly and the Fam, The Stooges' debut Dave Bixby, Blue Eyed soul classic Dusty In Memphis, all ditto.

Karma by Pharaoh Sanders is astounding! Moondog is mindblowing! and a lot of people seem to love an album called Trout Mask Replica (not as good or even particularly comparable to, WL/WH).

Oh and the co-MVP of american music, Miles Davis, released In A Silent Way which is one of the greatest albums ever, AND Filles de Kilimanjaro which is stellar.

Blues had some great releases that year from Otis Spann, Jimmy Dawkins and Otis Rush, Muddy waters, Janis Joplin, and the british blues gods of Fleetwood Mac released some great albums that year. Also early Allman Brothers was pretty cool if you like that kinda stuff.

The Who made a popular rock opera. Fairport Convention released a couple classics, as did solo Bert Jansch, as did The Pentangle, etc. Ralph McTell contributed to that english folk explosion. If you're into that kinda thing, you may love that.

All in all, on a purely personal level, 1969 has 6 or 7 albums in my overall chart. Which is greater than 1988 and 1977 by quite a bit.

1969 was a year when all these different streams of music were still going strong or just starting to blow up and creates their own streams. Avant Garde, Spiritual Jazz, Prog, sionger/songwriter, country rock, rock opera stuff, soul's new expansions started here from what I can see, hard rock was starting to turn toward metal (1970 gave us Sabbath tho'), Fusion, etc. so much good stuff.

19691969196919691969!!!!!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 20:37
  • Post subject:
Sticking with the runaway winner here, 1971.

Although '77 and '80 deserve more love than they're getting.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 22:31
  • Post subject:
Abbey Road The Beatles
Donovan's Greatest Hits Donovan
Led Zeppelin II Led Zeppelin
6- And 12-String Guitar Leo Kottke
Stand! Sly and the Family Stone
Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin
Santana Santana
The Allman Brothers Band The Allman Brothers Band
The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground
Willy And The Poor Boys Creedence Clearwater Revival
Green River Creedence Clearwater Revival
Bayou Country Creedence Clearwater Revival
At San Quentin Johnny Cash
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere Neil Young And Crazy Horse
Five Leaves Left Nick Drake
First Take Roberta Flack
Brave New World Steve Miller Band
Let It Bleed The Rolling Stones
The Chicago Transit Authority Chicago Transit Authority
Crosby, Stills & Nash Crosby, Stills & Nash
Live/Dead Grateful Dead
In The Court Of The Crimson King King Crimson
Kick Out The Jams MC5
In A Silent Way Miles Davis
Your Saving Grace Steve Miller Band
The Meters The Meters
The Stooges The Stooges
Let The Sunshine In Diana Ross & The Supremes
Liege And Lief Fairport Convention
Aoxomoxoa Grateful Dead
Hot Buttered Soul Isaac Hayes
With A Little Help From My Friends Joe Cocker
Clouds Joni Mitchell
Love Man Otis Redding
The Soft Parade The Doors
Canned Wheat The Guess Who
Crimson And Clover Tommy James And The Shondells

And probably a lot more.

1970 and 1989 come really close though...
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 23:06
  • Post subject:
Goddamn this is tough...1967,1969, and 1977 are all really close for me. I picked 1967...but any one of those could have gotten my vote depending on my mood.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2018 23:11
  • Post subject:
1969 is an insane year. Incredibly diverse.

Mercury pretty much already explained why, but here are some of my picks.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2018 00:43
  • Post subject:
Tough call for me between 1971 and '77. But I ultimately went with 1971 for having more albums that I ultimately enjoy.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=37620

Having seen the current results though, I hate that I voted against a year that saw so many wonderful albums. 1977 deserves much more love than it's getting.

The Stranger by Billy Joel

Going For The One by Yes

Animals by Pink Floyd

Slowhand by Eric Clapton

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2018 17:03
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
until the last year 1977 would be my easy pick. Recently discovered about a dozen more albums I love from 69 however, and 4 or 5 of those dozen just took over my life.

Namely, as a singer/songwriter enthusiast, it seems '69 was the moment when that whole world just blew up. The true momentous singer/songwriter albums from that year all had a unique flavor and angle on the genre. I mean Looks Like rain by Mickey Newbury is so inconceivably amazing i can't even. But on top of that Neil Young released his first classic that year, Joni made her first masterpiece that year, Melanie killed it that year (of which I have a signed copy of ... Candles in the rain that is... yeah I am sooooo coooool, jk), of course townes his first and second (even better) masterpices of songwriting legend, Tim Buckley ditto, Scott Walker ditto ditto, John Phillips from SA released one of the greatest albums ever that year all quiet like, Leonard Cophen released his greatest album that year, Steve Young's 1969 album is low key near-perfect, Nick Drake released his debut, oh yeah and this guy named Bob Dylan released an album which (along with some other albums of the year and also 1968) kicked off that whole country rock thing.

Speaking of which, Gilded Palace of Friggin' Sin! The Band! The Stones were doing cool stuff with blues and country too. Cash released At San Quentin which is every bit as good as Folsom.

Also, Gal Costa s/t is gorgeous, and oh that album I recently finally fell for In The Court of the Crimson.

Also, some other albums that need to be mentioned are the beatles album of the year is pretty good, ditto Kinks, ditto CCR, ditto The Velvet Underground, ditto 2 LZ albums, ditto Dolly Parton's 2 albuyms of the year, Zappa, freakin Isaac Hayes HOT BUTTERED SOUL, freakin' Sly and the Fam, The Stooges' debut Dave Bixby, Blue Eyed soul classic Dusty In Memphis, all ditto.

Karma by Pharaoh Sanders is astounding! Moondog is mindblowing! and a lot of people seem to love an album called Trout Mask Replica (not as good or even particularly comparable to, WL/WH).

Oh and the co-MVP of american music, Miles Davis, released In A Silent Way which is one of the greatest albums ever, AND Filles de Kilimanjaro which is stellar.

Blues had some great releases that year from Otis Spann, Jimmy Dawkins and Otis Rush, Muddy waters, Janis Joplin, and the british blues gods of Fleetwood Mac released some great albums that year. Also early Allman Brothers was pretty cool if you like that kinda stuff.

The Who made a popular rock opera. Fairport Convention released a couple classics, as did solo Bert Jansch, as did The Pentangle, etc. Ralph McTell contributed to that english folk explosion. If you're into that kinda thing, you may love that.

All in all, on a purely personal level, 1969 has 6 or 7 albums in my overall chart. Which is greater than 1988 and 1977 by quite a bit.

1969 was a year when all these different streams of music were still going strong or just starting to blow up and creates their own streams. Avant Garde, Spiritual Jazz, Prog, sionger/songwriter, country rock, rock opera stuff, soul's new expansions started here from what I can see, hard rock was starting to turn toward metal (1970 gave us Sabbath tho'), Fusion, etc. so much good stuff.

19691969196919691969!!!!!

This is an incredible breakdown especially because it may give some people clues what to discover next, stylistically. I completely agree 1969 is one of my absolute favorite years not only for its output but it was a culmination of a lot of great things and we can look back on it being responsible for so much more great output to come.

When you say Miles Davis is the co-MVP of American music, who is the other co-MVP?