RKM Listening Diary: "Produced by Daniel Lanois"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rkm

• Posted: 02/08/2018 10:37
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Oh, I live right over the border in New York State. I'm about 60 miles from there. It's like my backyard. Heh heh.

I'm 15,588kms away
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2018 12:13
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I'm 15,588kms away

I just realized that you did reviews of Martha and the muffins and Nash the Slash. I didn't notice that before. Duh. There was a third Martha and the muffins album that I had that I think was called M + M or something like that. I never had Nash The Slash. When I was like in high school I used to listen to all these Toronto bands that I heard on the Toronto radio station. Like those two. And the band called The Spoons, and one called the Kings. And the best one of all Rough Trade. With Carole Pope. They had a lot of new wave bands in Canada that were different than the ones they had here.
I wonder why he calls his bio Soul Mining. I wonder if he had something to do with the album named Soul Mining by The The. That was such a great 80s album. Maybe he did, I don't know.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2018 12:25
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I'm 15,588kms away

15,000 km???? Are you that guy from Australia? The one who likes Crowded House?
One time I wanted to go to Australia because my oldest friend married an Australian guy, and after they got married they moved to a place called Adelaide. And I wanted to go visit, and I thought it would cost about 400 or $500 to fly there. But it was like 2000 or $3,000!!!! I was like " WHAT??". Needless to say I couldn't afford to go there. I couldn't believe how much it cost. Heh heh
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 02/08/2018 19:47
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
15,000 km???? Are you that guy from Australia? The one who likes Crowded House?
One time I wanted to go to Australia because my oldest friend married an Australian guy, and after they got married they moved to a place called Adelaide. And I wanted to go visit, and I thought it would cost about 400 or $500 to fly there. But it was like 2000 or $3,000!!!! I was like " WHAT??". Needless to say I couldn't afford to go there. I couldn't believe how much it cost. Heh heh

Yeah, I'm that guy. We talked about Crowded House and Split Enz before. I'm near Sydney on the east coast, and Adelaide is in the middle on the south coast, 1,300kms away. My wife is from Perth, on the west coast, 3,000kms away. We fly there every couple of years. It would be closer and cheaper to fly to New Zealand.

I've been to the U.S. once. It was one leg on a 'round the world ticket I bought. I landed in Dallas and did a road trip with an old friend to L.A., taking in the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, and flew home. It was far too quick, and I didn't really see anything.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 02/08/2018 19:55
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I just realized that you did reviews of Martha and the muffins and Nash the Slash. I didn't notice that before. Duh. There was a third Martha and the muffins album that I had that I think was called M + M or something like that. I never had Nash The Slash. When I was like in high school I used to listen to all these Toronto bands that I heard on the Toronto radio station. Like those two. And the band called The Spoons, and one called the Kings. And the best one of all Rough Trade. With Carole Pope. They had a lot of new wave bands in Canada that were different than the ones they had here.
I wonder why he calls his bio Soul Mining. I wonder if he had something to do with the album named Soul Mining by The The. That was such a great 80s album. Maybe he did, I don't know.

Cool story. I had a flashback to being a teenager, when I would hang out in the garage listening to a community radio station (it was the only place it would tune in). The station played Metal, which was entirely foreign to my experience at that point.

I don't think Lanois had anything to do with The The. Soul Mining is a metaphor for the creative process that he refers to in the bio.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/09/2018 20:08
  • Post subject:
Echo Beach is one of my all time favorite cool songs but I thought Martha & The Muffins were a one hit wonder. I really should check out the albums.

resp 16000 and 5000 km away from you two Wink
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2018 23:45
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Echo Beach is one of my all time favorite cool songs but I thought Martha & The Muffins were a one hit wonder. I really should check out the albums.

Me too. I still listen to Echo Beach once in a while.. I even went there once. It was cool.
Echo Beach was their only International hit but they had some more local and Canadian hits.

Fun fact: did you know there were TWO Marthas in Martha and the muffins?? I think that's awesome
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 02/10/2018 00:34
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:

Try the first track, Obedience.

Danseparc by Martha And The Muffins
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 02/10/2018 00:59
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Me too. I still listen to Echo Beach once in a while.. I even went there once. It was cool.
Echo Beach was their only International hit but they had some more local and Canadian hits.

Fun fact: did you know there were TWO Marthas in Martha and the muffins?? I think that's awesome

By the next album they were reduced to Martha Johnson and Mark Gane, apparently (and the name change to M+M, which makes sense). Lanois still produced it, and much of it was worked on in New York, and features contributions by other musicians like the Brecker Brothers on horns etc.

Mystery Walk by M + M
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2018 01:00
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Try the first track, Obedience.

Danseparc by Martha And The Muffins

I think I get it now. It looks like they changed their name to M+ M after one of the Martha's quit. By the time of this album they were down to only one Martha. According to the album cover. Ha Ha.
  • Visit poster's website