12%  [4]
Total Votes : 32

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 04:37
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

I'm also not crazy about Yellow Submarine either (Just about everything Ringo sang was a filler track).

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme has no dull moments. Some songs are better than others, but its best tracks can compete with the best tracks from Revolver. At worst, there are a couple songs I may not be in the mood for when they come on, but I wouldn't call them filler.

YISSS!!!

Yellow Submarine was cool when I was like 10 and thought it funny. Now it is the most annoying Beatles song ever written. And this is coming from someone who enjoys the silliness/insanity of Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

And fantastic PSR&T statement - whole heartedly agree. I think both statements could be said about both albums though to be fair.

If you were just to compare Tomorrow Never Knows with almost any song from PSR&T it'd be hard to compete (maybe 2 or 3 songs would). But overall averages of the album are pretty comprable, imo.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 04:50
  • Post subject:
I also dare say that many of the arrangements on this album (even if not a full orchestra) are on par with the genius of Brian Wilson.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 05:50
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Good point - why do you think that is?

Well Bookends and BOTW tend to be more well liked than PSR&T, those two seem to be the peak of S&G for most people. Let's face it it's hard to go against the beatles on this site, Radiohead is really the only band that could go toe to toe with them.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 05:54
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Well Bookends and BOTW tend to be more well liked than PSR&T, those two seem to be the peak of S&G for most people. Let's face it it's hard to go against the beatles on this site, Radiohead is really the only band that could go toe to toe with them.

Oh I meant to ask why do you think those two albums are more popular?

RE: Beatles
Yup.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 05:59
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Oh I meant to ask why do you think those two albums are more popular?

RE: Beatles
Yup.

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but for me more songs stick with me in Bookends and BOTW, there could be an argument that PSR&T is a better album, but most songs don't stick with me as much as they would in the other album.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 14:36
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I'd love to hear why. Very Happy

I mean, I love both albums, don't get me wrong, but I've always had a greater affinity for The Beatles than I have for S&G (though both are close to my heart).

Revolver has grown on me over the years, I never used to think a whole lot of it, I enjoyed it but never quite as much as, say, Sgt. Peppers or Let It Be (preferably Let It Be...Naked) or The White Album. But over time, I've really grown to love it.

There's just so many songs to love on Revolver. I'm Only Sleeping is a killer song, I've used it at gigs before, it's a fun song to play and sing. Here, There, and Everywhere is beautiful, as is For No One. Got To Get You Into My Life is a really fun song (though I have to say, Earth, Wind, & Fire gave the Beatles a run for their money with their cover version). I love Good Day Sunshine too, back in high school it was the ringtone I had for whenever my girlfriend (now wife) called. Tomorrow Never Knows is a cool, trippy song. I've always loved the harmonies on And Your Bird Can Sing.

I dunno, ultimately I just love every track on Revolver, and I've always had a personal preference more towards the Beatles than S&G.

And for what it's worth, Yellow Submarine was intended as a children's song. I've always hated when people knock the Beatles because of the song. I've had plenty of people tell me the Beatles were garbage songwriters because "Look at Yellow Submarine, what a dumb song," which is like saying "Mary Had a Little Lamb" sucks because it lacks lyrical depth about Mary and her lamb.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 14:38
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Let's face it it's hard to go against the beatles on this site

On the site? Maybe. In this forum? Not really. I feel like it's once a month we have some long discussion in a thread about how the Beatles are so overrated

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 02/13/2018 15:36
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
I mean, I love both albums, don't get me wrong, but I've always had a greater affinity for The Beatles than I have for S&G (though both are close to my heart).

Revolver has grown on me over the years, I never used to think a whole lot of it, I enjoyed it but never quite as much as, say, Sgt. Peppers or Let It Be (preferably Let It Be...Naked) or The White Album. But over time, I've really grown to love it.

There's just so many songs to love on Revolver. I'm Only Sleeping is a killer song, I've used it at gigs before, it's a fun song to play and sing. Here, There, and Everywhere is beautiful, as is For No One. Got To Get You Into My Life is a really fun song (though I have to say, Earth, Wind, & Fire gave the Beatles a run for their money with their cover version). I love Good Day Sunshine too, back in high school it was the ringtone I had for whenever my girlfriend (now wife) called. Tomorrow Never Knows is a cool, trippy song. I've always loved the harmonies on And Your Bird Can Sing.

I dunno, ultimately I just love every track on Revolver, and I've always had a personal preference more towards the Beatles than S&G.

And for what it's worth, Yellow Submarine was intended as a children's song. I've always hated when people knock the Beatles because of the song. I've had plenty of people tell me the Beatles were garbage songwriters because "Look at Yellow Submarine, what a dumb song," which is like saying "Mary Had a Little Lamb" sucks because it lacks lyrical depth about Mary and her lamb.

I agree with almost everything here. Revolver is just an incredibly strong album. You just can't pinpoint best 2 or 3 songs from the album since the album has probably around 10 really great great songs.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/13/2018 17:16
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Likewise. Killer chord sequence. It's a devil to play on the guitar that one!

What's your take Street Spirit?

I never liked how the song flows, especially how it's sandwiched between Good Day Sunshine and For No One. It feels out of place on the album, and it doesn't feel like they put much work into it. The guitars are kinda cool, but the lyrics aren't very strong. Oh the bird is symbolic of life or something, but you can't see me, you can't see........meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

On the anthology version they cant stop laughing when they are recording this song. They seemed to find the "meeeeeeeeeee's" a bit funny as well Smile .

I see what you mean. Though I think it is similar in tone to She Said She Said, though not quite as intriguing. I do like it though and I think the lyrics express something of the band/ Lennon's ideals at the time, maybe not as well as elsewhere though Think
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/13/2018 17:38
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
hahahaha...

In my mind these albums are easily comparable given their content and musical prowess.

I feel like Paul Simon's guitar playing smokes any guitar work (not bass) from Dylan, Beatles, Beach Boys... nearly most other guitarists actually - maybe not like Jimmy Page or Jimmi Hendrix as they are playing at a different level, but if they played acoustic - maybe comparable.

Dude, no-one listens to Dylan for his great guitar work Laughing

sethmadsen wrote:
Anyone read the OP and have anything to comment on the synergy of the albums or what have you?

Also someone brought up Bob Dylan. His release in 66 was Blonde on Blonde. So I guess I lose with that argument Laughing (all I'm saying is that is a much more renowned album than anything by S&G).

What am I missing?

Actually, I think you make an interesting comparison between these albums. I'm only just getting to know PSRT but having listened again I can see how it could be regarded on a similar level to Revolver in terms of composition and musicianship. In some ways, it sounds a bit more grown-up and refined.

For me though Revolver has to win though by a clear margin as it's so much more original, imaginative and charming. Arguably, It's very of it's time may even a little naive seeming today, but it's just such a bold, playful and incessantly vibrant and joyous album.

What interests me in this comparison is the contrast in tone. Revolver is so childlike and seems to fully embrace hippy counter-cultural ideals. PSRT on the other hand seems much more aloof and seems to make fun of Hippies and people's obsession with Dylan. For me, PSRT is probably more astute but Revolver is much more charming.