View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/16/2018 21:28
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
dihansse wrote:

I think this deserves a bit of explanation:
However much I like the 60s and however much 1967 was important to the global rock history it was centered around only a few ground breaking albums with as important names the Beatles and... The Beatles.

That seems a rather narrow look at 1967. Pepper may be so big that it overshadows others, but that doesn't mean the others aren't absolutely top of the pops, or that they wouldn't absolutely kill it in any other year. While I didn't choose it as my personal fave, I have to acknowledge the musical incredibleness it brought forth.

There is soooooo much that was both totally new, and has had lasting impact, from that year, nothing comes close in that regard.

Beyond the fabs, that year introduced us to:
The unprecedented sonic onslaught and to-this-day still top-ranked Jimi Hendrix--and he gave us not one, but two all time classics that year.
The earth-shattering and nothing-like-the-Beatles debut by the Doors, another artist who managed to double up on classics in their first year.
While it wasn't the same lineup that would garner the most recommendation, Pink Floyd's debut remains a pivotal album in musical history.

While Pepper gets some credit for being concept-ish, The Moody Blues released a true concept album that to this day remains the absolute gold standard for fusion of previously considered disparate genres (in this case pop/rock and classical). There is no overstating just how seminal... and beautiful, that album is.

And while the Beatles were playing with psychedelia, Jefferson Airplane were living it through and through, and put out mot just one, but their very best two albums that year.

Although I personally can't stand it, Velvet Underground & Nico rocked the underground, and if anything, continues to grow in stature year by year.

Speaking of growing in stature, that was also the year of Love's Forever Changes.

Plus, this is the year Albert King almost singlehandedly brought back the Blues, and totally blew up electric blues with Born Under a Bad Sign, another album considered to this day to be the very epitome of it's genre. Without this album, there's no Stevie Ray Vaughn, no Joe Bonamassa, etc.

Throw in a wonderfully evolutionary album by the Kinks, and a pretty awesome lineup of seminal jazz albums, and the year is impossible to top by anything approaching an objective standard. I had it down as low as my fifth choice, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize it for what it was.

I know and I think I've exaggerated a bit (and I have to admit even very much). I like nearly all those records you mention very much including VU & Nico. Just have a look at my 1969 top 29 chart and you'll see that there's a big variety of records I like but for the moment it's only 29 records but it's 29 records I really cherish.
I just wanted to make the point that in 1991 there were much more records I could relate to and was buying at the time in large numbers (and also I wasn't six years old as I was in 1969).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/16/2018 21:33
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:

However much I like the 60s and however much 1967 was important to the global rock history it was centered around only a few ground breaking albums with as important names the Beatles and... The Beatles.

Not mad at you, just trying to make you enjoy life a bit more (didn't spot any of these in your ratings...):

Nina Simone Sings The Blues by Nina Simone

Songs Of Leonard Cohen by Leonard Cohen

Chelsea Girl by Nico

Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina by The Left Banke

Safe As Milk by Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band

And, like, all these. There's a loooooot more to '67 than just The Beatles. It's a year I never find myself tired of digging through... always something exciting around the bend.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2018 21:37
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:

I just wanted to make the point that in 1991 there were much more records I could relate to and was buying at the time in large numbers (and also I wasn't six years old as I was in 1969).

Makes perfect sense.

Although I went with 1971 even though I was only seven years old at the time. When I started really getting into music, I tended to gravitate to music a little before my time.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2018 22:09
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
When I started really getting into music, I tended to gravitate to music a little before my time.

This is me 100%.

Quote:
Although I went with 1971 even though I was only seven years old at the time.

I'm going with 1971 too. Think we're the same age.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2018 22:12
  • Post subject:
1. 1971
2. 1967
3. 1969
4. 1977
5. 1991
6. 1994
7. 1997
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2018 22:27
  • Post subject:
1969 by a mile

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

Last edited by Mercury on 02/21/2018 19:57; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 02/16/2018 22:56
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
This has been a really fun topic all throughout and I am glad that the decades that have survived are the 60's, 70's and 90's although the years chosen aren't all my favourites at all. Anyway, here it goes:

1, 1969 - I already defended this year on previous topics, so I will just say wow, so many legendary bands from different rock genres at their peak.
2. 1997 - I will give a chance to the most recent years, I mean, there have to be top class years since I was born! OK Computer and Sound of Lies make this year go #2 for me.
3. 1967
4. 1971
5. 1991
6. 1994

Sorry Aal, I forgot 1977. It goes 4th and the rest onwards go down one place.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2018 23:50
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
1. 1991
2. 1994
3. 1977
4. 1997
5. 1971
6. 1967
7. 1969

I think this deserves a bit of explanation:
The same goes for the start of the 70's: Led Zeppelin.
Of course those two bands were not the only ones around and I like many others but overall always the same names come back.

1977 was for me a pivotal year in rock music where you had that fantastic old rock record Rumours and those great new records by Talking Heads and the punks.

But 1991 is to me the year but overall the highest quality output of albums. I've got 11 albums of that year in my top 100 and 23 albums in my top 500. And Nevermind is not even the highest ranked but my own favorite the Aints.

You never really think about it, but there were relatively few albums even released in the 60s. Albums were just beginning to take off. And after the sixties the number of albums released per year doubled or tripled each decade after that. That's probably why it seems there were so few rock bands. It just wasn't the huge industry it would become in the 70s. I agree 1977 was an extraordinary year. Every kind of music seemed to be at its peak then. Hard Rock, mainstream Rock, metal, country rock, southern rock, singer-songwriter. There was a lot of variety. And add to that the new styles like Punk and disco that really took off that year. In 1977 there were great albums in every one of these styles.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/17/2018 02:35
  • Post subject:
I'll keep this short and sweet:

1. 1967
2. 1977
3. 1969.
4. 1971
5. 1991
6. 1994
7. 1997

It was almost a dead heat between 69 and 71, for 3rd and 4th place - both fantastic years.

1967 is a clear favourite of mine as psychedelic rock is my favourite genre of music. I agree with Bobby with the importance of 77 too. So many genres and the groundbreaking effect of punk, disco and reggae with Marley's Exodus coming out that year.

There was so much good music in the 90s - very little separates my 90s years. 1991 just has the edge for me.
Can't wait to see the final results.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2018 05:16
  • Post subject:
1. 1967
2. 1991
3. 1969
4. 1994
5. 1971
6. 1977