Records that the artist did perfectly but doesn't amaze.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 01:29
  • Post subject: Records that the artist did perfectly but doesn't amaze.
I finally got to finish the album Lateralus by Tool. And I felt this was one of those albums that I thought was great but I wanted to love it more. Then it got me thinking were there records that you guys and girls thought were done immensely well but didn't make you lose yourself or had your jaw dropped?
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/18/2018 01:45
  • Post subject:

Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear

Shields by Grizzly Bear

I know I’ve rambled on about it heaps in the last year but this thread has Grizzly Bear written all over it for me. The first time I heard both records I just flat out didn’t understand why people I knew spoke so highly of them. That was until last March when I saw the music video for “While You Wait For The Others” for the first time in about 5 years that I finally understood. Sometimes some things you get instantaneously, other times the band just has a maturation process. So I guess just give it a little while and come back, Luigii Wink .

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 01:48
  • Post subject:
Oh I will. Hell, I do want to listen to more Tool. Just want to see if Tool could make me lose my shit.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 02/18/2018 03:46
  • Post subject:

To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

This. I think that it's pretty much a perfect album, but at the same time I also feel quite distant when listening to it. It's definitely an experience of loving the production, loving the rapping, loving what he's saying, but somehow it's all very cerebral and leaves me a bit cold at the same time (with the exception of a few tracks - Blacker the Berry, Wesley's Theory etc.)

Also, I'll second Tool, Luigii. I've yet to get through a complete album of theirs - it's a lot to take in. I've been going through some songs though and quite enjoying them. Not head over heels, but I get why they're so revered at least.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 04:17
  • Post subject:

Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys

For me this probably just has to do with how the album aged. At the time of release i'm sure it was easily a 10/10. Now when Pet sounds is having to battle the test of time, it just doesn't seem nearly as captivating or interesting. Granted I still rate it an 8/10, but it isn't something that blows me away despite it being done flawlessly.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/18/2018 10:33
  • Post subject:
I was about to go on a rant about how if you're not left floored then it doesn't matter how good or well put together a record is, but then realized it pretty much perfectly describes how I feel about a lot of Madlib's production, especially

Madvillainy by Madvillain

The guy has got to be hands down one of the most mature, developed and craftsmanlike producers period, but for whatever reason it never resonates with my insides or something - I'll rarely put his stuff on shuffle.

All except 'real' which slaps
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 11:57
  • Post subject:
Madlib doesn't work in shuffle because his music is a shuffle of directly sampled influences already and it paradoxically creates a cohesive universe where his music needs to be around more of his music to work.
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 02/18/2018 12:00
  • Post subject:

Tago Mago by Can

It appears as the best rated album after a few from Pink Floyd and King Crimson in progarchives. I have listened to the whole album two or three times and, though musically it seems complex and I am sure was a milestone in its era, I just don't like it. I will give it a couple more listens and, sadly, delete it from my music files Sad
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 12:10
  • Post subject:
oh man I would suggest at least considering not deleting it, like it's just some megabytes. it's worth having around so that if you have an inkling to give it a try again in 5 years, you could end up getting a lot out of it even if it totally doesn't work for you now. I don't think every album deserves that extra chance, but if any of them do this is definitely one of them.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 12:37
  • Post subject:

Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk
  • Visit poster's website