Records that the artist did perfectly but doesn't amaze.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/19/2018 07:26
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Komorebi-D wrote:
I’m completely behind you there, Michael. Aside from Grizzly Bear, I went through a period of indecisiveness with;

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

It wasn’t until around 18 months ago that I started to adore this record. Now it’s one of my favourite albums of its respective decade and it’s included as part of my current top 100. It’s an absolute classic. What really helped me was listening to the band’s other material, similar acts and the band’s influences. I guess in some way this is what worked when I came back to Grizzly Bear too.

The bolded statement is key.

Good is relative, and until you have a benchmark or something at least to compare it to... then it's value is... in a vacuum?

I believe the question you posed is worth bolding just as much. It can be applied to anything.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2018 07:29
  • Post subject:

London Calling by The Clash

I really wanted to love this album as much as everyone else, but it just didn't happen. And with each consecutive listen, I got increasingly bored with it. It's far too long, and aside from "Death or Glory" and "Train In Vain", I don't think any of these songs are particularly memorable.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/19/2018 09:33
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Komorebi-D wrote:
I’m completely behind you there, Michael. Aside from Grizzly Bear, I went through a period of indecisiveness with;

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

It wasn’t until around 18 months ago that I started to adore this record. Now it’s one of my favourite albums of its respective decade and it’s included as part of my current top 100. It’s an absolute classic. What really helped me was listening to the band’s other material, similar acts and the band’s influences. I guess in some way this is what worked when I came back to Grizzly Bear too.

The bolded statement is key.

Good is relative, and until you have a benchmark or something at least to compare it to... then it's value is... in a vacuum?

Yeah. Definitely that little bit of background or context has helped me lots of times. Even something really simple like noticing properly the sub-genre the album is in so I get the intentions of the album better. I couldn't appreciate any of Lou Reed or Bowie's glam era stuff until I got into Sparks. They taught me what Glam was about!

I couldn't get into Revolver and Sgt. Pepper until I got into the Beatles' earlier albums. It was on those ones I got a feeling for them as a band. Similarly I couldn't get into Dylan's classic albums until I'd heard some of the bootleg series. I just didn't get his personality or gravitas or something until then. Actually, I could go on for a while with things it took me a long time to appreciate for the simplest reasons!
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/19/2018 12:40
  • Post subject:

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel

In theory, I should love this album. It ticks all the boxes but, even after many listens, leaves me cold. I'll keep perseverating though.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 15:02
  • Post subject:
Johnnyo wrote:

In theory, I should love this album. It ticks all the boxes but, even after many listens, leaves me cold. I'll keep perseverating though.

Bruh I am scared for this record as well. Love the intro but after the first song I just go into this meh state.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/20/2018 13:31
  • Post subject:

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To...ck Emperor

A solid 8/10, but just doesn't hit the feels.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/20/2018 14:17
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Johnnyo wrote:

Bruh I am scared for this record as well. Love the intro but after the first song I just go into this meh state.

I don’t whether this boasting right now but this was one of the easiest records I got into. What don’t you guys like about the second part of “The King of Carrot Flowers”?

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 14:48
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
Luigii wrote:
Johnnyo wrote:

I don’t whether this boasting right now but this was one of the easiest records I got into. What don’t you guys like about the second part of “The King of Carrot Flowers”?

If I want to go in, I just didn't expect it to go into a loud and punky direction after the folky intro. But I do want to listen to the album again. To see if I vibe with the record.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 16:20
  • Post subject:
I'm always looking to dump on Neutral Milk Hotel, so I'll say what they don't want to say.

It's boooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiinnnnnngggggg. (Which I know is not an actual argument)

Seriously, you don't have to like something just because a bunch of others think it's a classic. If you don't like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, then embrace it. I need some people on my side.
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 02/20/2018 16:40
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I'm always looking to dump on Neutral Milk Hotel, so I'll say what they don't want to say.

It's boooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiinnnnnngggggg. (Which I know is not an actual argument)

Seriously, you don't have to like something just because a bunch of others think it's a classic. If you don't like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, then embrace it. I need some people on my side.

I am on your side Very Happy

It is another well considered album on this webpage which I, like others, don't enjoy. Seth is right, I need to give it more listens like the Can album and maybe listen to other albums from the band/genre, as other people pointed out.

I also agree with you on your stance: in music and in art in general, taste is very personal and we shouldn't force eachother to like what people consider masterpieces. I respect those two albums (in the way that there I am sure there is more art than in Biebers'), because they have struck a chord on many people whose music taste I respect, but I don't have to like them, and if I don't it won't be because I didn't try hard enough.

I am not on your side on the, I guess exaggerated, comment you said in which you know whether you like an album in 5 minutes. I believe that some albums are made for you to like instantly (and maybe like less after a few listens when you find them nothing special) and for others you need more patience and can end up loving them so much.

In brief, because it seems I am going for X and Y at the same time: my stance is, yes, we should listen to albums many times before we give a clear opinion on them but no, we shouldn't all like Can, Neutral Milk Hotel or my favourite band called Pink Floyd.

Last edited by manurock on 02/20/2018 16:44; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website