(many facets of) 1967 psychedelia

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 22:37
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Yes, I believe that, although the Doors are not currently very much "in fashion", they may enjoy another comeback someday, like the one they had in 1991 after the Oliver Stone film.

bobbyb5 wrote:
You left out one category of psychedelia though, Pop Psychedelia. I'm kind of half joking, but there were several in the 60s that were like half bubblegum music and half Psychedelia. It was like psychedelia for pre-teens or something. Heh heh. They were totally bizarre. The thing is though, some of them were really great. And many were even big hits. These are my favorites here.
Theyre actually very enjoyable, and have every stereotypical psychedelic effect you could hope for. Lol. They are unbelievable fun.
But needless to say, they have definitely aged the very worst.

The songs that you want to hear are the title songs on each album, although the entire albums are a trip.

Green Tambourine by The Lemon Pipers

Crimson & Clover by Tommy James And The Shondells

Crimson & Clover's riff is very Sweet Jane isn't it ?

Yeah really. But I like the two or three Acid Rock guitar freak-outs in the middle of Crimson and Clover the best. It's only in the long version though. It's cut out of the single version. But even the single version is great.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 22:57
  • Post subject: Re: (many facets of) 1967 psychedelia
Tilly wrote:
Yann wrote:
Of these four psychedelic albums of 1967 :
Which one have you listened the most ?
Which one do you think has aged and will age best ?

This West coast psychedelia ? (January 1967)

This New York psychedelia ? (March 1967)

This British psychedelia ? (August 1967)

This hippie folk psychedelia ? (November 1967 – despite the summer feel Smile)

I LOVE them all & ALL r essential imo. The Doors s/t has aged the worst, but it's still a 5 star classic. My ranking would be as follows ...

1. VU & Nico
2 & 3. Love - Forever changes = Pink Floyd - Piper
4. The Doors -s/t

This is exactly what I think. Same order and everything. They're all fantastic. When I think "psychedelia" Piper comes to mind first, but as a whole they're all brilliant with their own contributions to the history of the subgenre.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 23:08
  • Post subject:
You've also got;

Link

Hard-Psych

and

Link

Psych-Soul

Oh, and to answer the question it goes Doors, Piper, VU, Forever Changes.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 23:24
  • Post subject:
[quote="Tha1ChiefRocka"]You've also got;

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AkehG9Zh4c[/youtube]

Hard-Psych

and

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tilgHVpRBnA[/youtube]

Psych-Soul

Oh, and to answer the question it goes Doors, Piper, VU, Forever Changes.[/quote]

Speaking of Psychedelic Soul, how about Psychedelic Shack or Cloud 9 by The Four Tops. Or was it the Temptations? Or both?
And one more Motown psychedelic: Reflections by Diana Ross and Supremes. They're all very silly and all very great. They probably fall more into the category of pop psychedelia.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 23:34
  • Post subject:
That would be Cloud 9 by The Temptations, which is a fantastic album.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/19/2018 23:36
  • Post subject: Re: (many facets of) 1967 psychedelia
Yann wrote:

I've listened to VU and Nico, Forever Changes and The Doors hundreds of times (VU and Nico the most overall, then The Doors, then Forever Changes) ... and Piper at the Gates of Dawn probably around 100 or so... Forever Changes was actually in my top 3-10 all time years ago so it got quite a head start on Piper. During a few year period from like 2000-2004 I probably listened to it about as much (maybe even more) as The Doors/VU and Nico. Over the last 10-15 years though, I've definitely listened to the other 3 much more.

Yann wrote:
Which one do you think has aged and will age best?

To me, it seems that "timelessness" is wholly dependent on quality (and of course one's assimilation of the work's quality) and probably has nothing to do with "when" a work was produced/released or which style it was produced in (etc). Obviously "production qualities" and various technical elements certainly place a work in a particular age, but in the end only matter to the degree that they govern the work's qualitative merits in terms of expression/creativity.

From "My Criteria" page...

"An ideal statement of depth could be described as follows:

Exhibiting emotional or conceptual content with extraordinary conviction and singular creativity so as to permanently distinguish itself. "

So, with that said, I'd simply place them in order of my ratings/rankings:

The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground (1967) -- 9.2/10
The Doors - The Doors (1967) -- 9.1/10
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd (1967) -- 8.6/10
Forever Changes - Love (1967) -- 7.3/10
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 04:11
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
You've also got;

Link

Hard-Psych

and

Link

Psych-Soul

Oh, and to answer the question it goes Doors, Piper, VU, Forever Changes.

That Rotary Connection was the first time I ever heard them. It was crazy. When Minnie Riperton made her first album there was a couple wild and crazy ones but nothing like this. The psychedelic stuff at the start of the song really hits the spot. I like it.

That Deviants song is pretty fun too. Cool guitar solo freak-out!!
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 04:29
  • Post subject:
For most of my life, it was clearly The Doors, but more recently the Love and the Floyd have asserted themselves and increased their stature in my collection.

VU&N remains a positively dreadful experience that I’m sorry I ever allowed to pollute my auditory canals.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 02/20/2018 07:32
  • Post subject:
albumceleste wrote:

Difficult question. Probably The Doors because my first listen was around 14 and piper/velvet/forever changes around 17-18. But I listened to the four countless times, so really can't tell.

I think rock era has saturated our ears with musical elements reminiscent of the Blues and Folk tradition. So any album that avoids them or keep 'em in check feels "less old" or fresher. In this aspect VU&N and Piper sound "less blues & roots" than TD and FCh.

Taking another different point of view, late 60s psychedelia had a great degree of baroqueness and "just put whatever that sounds weird" excesses, so an album with that loose and exhuberant soundscape just tends to sound constricted to that era. In this aspect Piper and Forever changes sound totally 67, while The Doors and VU&N could have been from other eras and still work.

So my vote goes for VU&N about wich aged best.

This is totally about speculation, but on a big timeframe artists and artwork tend to be judged and enjoyed because of their art itself and not their circumstances.
Piper's composition is sometimes childlike naive -wich is great, but not shocking to the audience as it was in pop-rock-soul saturated 67-, Forever Changes has a lot of art-folk albums that sound-alike it, and the value of VU&N lyrics could be hipotetically irrelevant to people on another era where sex taboos or drugs are replaced by other concerns so you're left with very basic two/four chords songwriting foundation with some harsh sound on top, etc.
In this aspect alone, my feeling is that The Doors has reached the higuest artistic peaks so to speak both in composition and recorded performance as well -The End will probably still sound humanly apocalyptic to anyone anywhere for any time being-.
Of course totally speculative and just my opinion as no one can answer this part of the question.

Gee, how many brilliant wordsmiths on this website ?! You guys should write on Mojo or something. And perhaps some of you do already ?! Think
Thanks for this post anyway. Very accurate
And I would add that a classic can indeed be very much of its time (= a classic regardless of the circumstances) provided the time/sound in question is not becoming obsolete and therefore is (gradually) no longer listened to. (not yet the case for those records). All things must pass, even the classics Surprised
  • Visit poster's website