Black History Month Listening Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
brunotp

Brazil

• Posted: 02/20/2018 17:30
  • Post subject:
That's a great idea. We don't celebrate Black History Month in Brazil (altought I think we should), but if i can suggest a great brazilian album by a great group of black musicians:

Maria Fumaça by Banda Black Rio
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 02/20/2018 18:23
  • Post subject:
No offence, but I'm not very keen on compartmentalize anything according to skin color. I know there are certain traits to music made by black people, and it's ok to notice that incidentally. But personally, I won't go further than that.
Black History Month is not my cup of tea either...
When white people (like I happen to be) will sooner or later be a minority on this planet, I will definitely ignore any White History Month initiative !
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/20/2018 18:31
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
When white people (like I happen to be) will sooner or later be a minority on this planet, I will definitely ignore any White History Month initiative !

They are a minority on the planet?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/20/2018 20:21
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
They are a minority on the planet?

Anywho, I've only recently learned that white people even make music, so I'm getting on that.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2018 21:06
  • Post subject:
brunotp wrote:
That's a great idea. We don't celebrate Black History Month in Brazil (altought I think we should), but if i can suggest a great brazilian album by a great group of black musicians:

Maria Fumaça by Banda Black Rio

Thanks for the rec - this was a great album! 4/5.

~~~~~

I'm going to drop a couple under-appreciated albums here. Both are currently in my top 20 and outside the top 2000.

Telefone by Noname

One of the best mixtapes ever, and imo the best project ever by a female rapper. Laidback, jazzy, feel-good, but with a lot of introspection and depth to the lyrics, great flows, and fantastic beats. Amazing front to back, but my favorite track is definitely "Diddy Bop."

Pieces Of A Man by Gil Scott-Heron

This album has it all, from the spoken word classic "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", which helped lay the groundwork for hip-hop, to the evocative portraits of drug abuse and desperation in "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" and "Pieces Of A Man", respectively, to uplifting jazzy soul tunes like "Lady Day & John Coltrane" and "I Think I'll Call It Morning". I love his melismatic vocals and the instrumentation is consistently immaculate.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2018 04:49
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
No offence, but I'm not very keen on compartmentalize anything according to skin color. I know there are certain traits to music made by black people, and it's ok to notice that incidentally. But personally, I won't go further than that.

Actually, white people are already, and always have been, a minority on the planet. Not in Europe or North America, but certainly on the planet. One half the world's population is Asian alone. Add in other races, and white ends up making up only 16% of the world total.

Considering that humanity originated in Africa, It would naturally follow that Whites have always been a minority, at least on a global scale.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 02/22/2018 07:44
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Yann wrote:

Actually, white people are already, and always have been, a minority on the planet. Not in Europe or North America, but certainly on the planet. One half the world's population is Asian alone. Add in other races, and white ends up making up only 16% of the world total.

Considering that humanity originated in Africa, It would naturally follow that Whites have always been a minority, at least on a global scale.

Globally, between the Whites and the Blacks, the curves intersected around the year 2000, we tend to forget that. The Africans are doing their demographic transition so their number will continue to rise for some decades, then it's going to decrease (because the fertility rate has already started to decrease: that's the demographic transition: it happens gradually everywhere in the world, the Africans and the Indians being the last to do it). On this fascinating subject, search "demographic winter" on youtube (very counter-intuitive)
As for this conversation, I assume we were talking only about the US and Canada, and this Black History Month is typically a minority thing inside the US empire.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/22/2018 09:20
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Globally, between the Whites and the Blacks, the curves intersected around the year 2000, we tend to forget that. The Africans are doing their demographic transition so their number will continue to rise for some decades, then it's going to decrease (because the fertility rate has already started to decrease: that's the demographic transition: it happens gradually everywhere in the world, the Africans and the Indians being the last to do it). On this fascinating subject, search "demographic winter" on youtube (very counter-intuitive)
As for this conversation, I assume we were talking only about the US and Canada, and this Black History Month is typically a minority thing inside the US empire.

Link
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2018 23:37
  • Post subject:
Ok let's switch gears here from discussing the merits of black history month back to discussing the music. What are your favorite albums by male and female artists in each of these major traditionally black genres? Mine are below.

Afrobeat: Confusion by Fela Kuti & Africa 70 / [I have nothing - recs anyone?]
Blues: Born Under A Bad Sign by Albert King / Hound Dog: The Peacock Recordings by Big Mama Thornton
Hip-Hop: Good Kid, M.A.A.D City by Kendrick Lamar / Telefone by Noname
Jazz: A Love Supreme by John Coltrane / Journey In Satchidananda by Alice Coltrane
Reggae: Super Ape by The Upsetters / One Two by Sister Nancy
Soul: Superfly by Curtis Mayfield / Electric Lady by Janelle Monáe
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2018 00:50
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Fischman wrote:
Yann wrote:

I also originally thought of this as a North American thing.

The two bolded are based on a different foundation. The first is why I responded with a global look--you specifically said "on the planet" not "in the US & Canada."
  • Visit poster's website