Best Pop Punk Albums?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 02/22/2018 23:51
  • Post subject:

Insomniac by Green Day

I love Nimrod just as much, but I don't really see it as a pop punk album.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2018 23:54
  • Post subject:

Enema Of The State by Blink-182

This is a masterpiece

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 02/23/2018 01:46
  • Post subject:
Lawl, half the albums mentioned in this thread aren't even pop punk. Not sure how every time people want to speak about pop punk it gets hijacked with people who like regular and hardcore punk. Try a little harder!
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 02/23/2018 04:42
  • Post subject:
I agree with the Beach Slang rec.

Here's a couple of great recent albums that I think can be classed as pop punk...or at least garage pop punk....and an older Aussie classic. All worth checking out even if you are not a pop punk fan.

Too by FIDLAR

The Kids Will Know It's Bullshit by Dune Rats

The Living End by The Living End
  • Visit poster's website
eanyills

• Posted: 02/23/2018 05:23
  • Post subject:
This thread makes my head hurt. Somebody calling the Buzzcocks garbage and other people referring to bands like Pavement, Saves the Day, and The Pixies as pop-punk. Great bands but not even remotely close to the pop-punk scene. At least an argument can be made for bands like Leatherface, Lifetime, Jawbreaker, etc.

To me, the idea of pop-punk as a self defined genre doesn’t start until the late 1980’s so bands like The Descendents, The Buzzcocks, and The Ramones aren’t on my list. And most of the bands listed have no connection to pop-punk. A lot of what’s listed is straight up punk, indie rock, or radio rock. I also like Green Day and Blink 182 to varying degrees but you’d be hard pressed to find someone legitimately into pop-punk who thinks either of those bands put out one of the best records of the genre. Pop-punk changed sometime between 1999 and 2001 into something I don’t like so you won’t find much love for the Yellowcard and Ataris of the genre here.

Dillinger Four- Midwestern Songs of the Americas
No For An Answer- No Straight Angles
Bouncing Souls- Maniacal Laughter
Jawbreaker- Unfun
Lawrence Arms- The Greatest Story Never Told
NOFX- Punk In Drublic
The Doughboys- Crush
Face To Face- Face To Face
Good Riddance- A Comprehensive Guide To Moderne Rebellion
Millencolin- Life on a Plate
Avail- Over the James
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2018 05:40
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

This is a masterpiece

Maybe it's just me, but i've always preferred TOYPAJ to Enema of the State. Always felt like the better Blink album to me.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2018 16:01
  • Post subject:
eanyills wrote:
This thread makes my head hurt. Somebody calling the Buzzcocks garbage and other people referring to bands like Pavement, Saves the Day, and The Pixies as pop-punk. Great bands but not even remotely close to the pop-punk scene. At least an argument can be made for bands like Leatherface, Lifetime, Jawbreaker, etc.

To me, the idea of pop-punk as a self defined genre doesn’t start until the late 1980’s so bands like The Descendents, The Buzzcocks, and The Ramones aren’t on my list. And most of the bands listed have no connection to pop-punk. A lot of what’s listed is straight up punk, indie rock, or radio rock. I also like Green Day and Blink 182 to varying degrees but you’d be hard pressed to find someone legitimately into pop-punk who thinks either of those bands put out one of the best records of the genre. Pop-punk changed sometime between 1999 and 2001 into something I don’t like so you won’t find much love for the Yellowcard and Ataris of the genre here.

Dillinger Four- Midwestern Songs of the Americas
No For An Answer- No Straight Angles
Bouncing Souls- Maniacal Laughter
Jawbreaker- Unfun
Lawrence Arms- The Greatest Story Never Told
NOFX- Punk In Drublic
The Doughboys- Crush
Face To Face- Face To Face
Good Riddance- A Comprehensive Guide To Moderne Rebellion
Millencolin- Life on a Plate
Avail- Over the James

Well, I agree with you that pop punk wasn't a self defined genre until the 90s. But the reason I listed bands like The Descendants is because I've seen them described that way in print over and over and over again. You could always argue about what exactly is the definition of any genre, and generally I think putting bands into genres is generally bullshit. In either case, the old ones were a lot better than the new ones. And as for the Ramones and the Buzzcocks and Blondie, those were the earliest bands I've ever seen described as Pop Punk. In fact, it was probably the first time the term pop punk was ever used. So I don't see how you could say they are not.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/23/2018 17:46
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Mercury wrote:

This is a masterpiece

Maybe it's just me, but i've always preferred TOYPAJ to Enema of the State. Always felt like the better Blink album to me.

Just listening to this for the first time. I like a lot of the guitars and some of the tunes. I'm realising though that something changed in the vocals in this kind of music around this time to something I've always found annoying. That kind over-stressing as many words as possible.

Did that start with Blink 182? Seems like other bands started doing the same thing as well. I just never liked it. Is it meant to sound funny/annoying and is it an important of the pop punk sound at this point? Presumably fans of this album like it anyway.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/23/2018 18:09
  • Post subject:
Anything by The Undertones up until 1981; anything by Buzzcocks up until forever. 90spostskatecorepunkishMTVtyedyehairemorollingfucks IS NO PUNK AT ALL and does not qualify.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/24/2018 10:35
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
hereforashortime wrote:
Mercury wrote:

This is a masterpiece

Just listening to this for the first time. I like a lot of the guitars and some of the tunes. I'm realising though that something changed in the vocals in this kind of music around this time to something I've always found annoying. That kind over-stressing as many words as possible.

Did that start with Blink 182? Seems like other bands started doing the same thing as well. I just never liked it. Is it meant to sound funny/annoying and is it an important of the pop punk sound at this point? Presumably fans of this album like it anyway.

In answer to my own question Laughing I found an article saying that this highly characteristic vocal style emerged with Blink 182 and The Offspring in the late 90s. It is an exaggerated version of a Californian accent apparently. This is analogous to the Sex Pistols and the Clash singing in exaggerated British accents in the 70s in order to re-claim Britishness in their music. Hmmmm lesson over