Album of the day (#2629): Every Picture Tells A Story

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/24/2018 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2629): Every Picture Tells A Story
Today's album of the day

Every Picture Tells A Story by Rod Stewart (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1971.
Overall rank: 808
Average rating: 76/100 (from 255 votes).

Tracks:
1. Every Picture Tells A Story
2. Seems Like A Long Time
3. That's All Right
4. Amazing Grace
5. Tomorrow Is A Long Time
6. Henry
7. Maggie May
8. Mandolin Wind
9. (I Know) I'm Losing You
10. Reason To Believe

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2018 21:38
  • Post subject:
There's so many great ones on this. Reason to Believe, Mandolin Wind, Maggie Mae, title song. This is one of those albums that my older brothers had that I used to sneak out of their room and bring it into my room and play it. When I was little the music of this period fascinated me so much. And this album still sounds real good. His band was so good.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/24/2018 23:12
  • Post subject:
Absolutely. Its one of the classic albums of 70s rock. Maggie May is a childhood memory for me too. Its such a cheeky chappie classic.
Its a real upbeat album. He's done a few good ones but I think this is his best.
  • Visit poster's website
rockinsteve

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2018 00:03
  • Post subject:
Wow, great pick for album of the day! This one happens to be my favorite album all-time and is #1 on my album chart of my top ten favorites.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 02/25/2018 00:28
  • Post subject:
I was surprised to find out I liked this album. I knew Maggie May from the radio (and sadly lived a version of that song), but my primary impression of Rod Stewart had been from the 80's, and to me he was cringe-worthy.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2018 01:26
  • Post subject:
Hard for me to appraise this one objectively as in later years, Rod Stewart became no more than a bad joke, artistically speaking. That and the overplay burnout of Maggie May doom this one in my ears.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2018 18:29
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Hard for me to appraise this one objectively as in later years, Rod Stewart became no more than a bad joke, artistically speaking. That and the overplay burnout of Maggie May doom this one in my ears.

That's really too bad. It's easy to dismiss Rod for his post 1976 sins, but I think it's important to remember just how good he was prior to that, this album included. He was a great weapon in The Jeff Beck Group for two albums, was the lead singer for Faces (one of the coolest early 70's bands) and his solo career (up until A Night On The Town) was nothing but well done and tasteful. In all, 12 studio albums between 1968 and 1975, and not a one of them not worthwhile. His choices of cover material was perfect, and his originals were fine.

I could think of thousands of songs that are of lesser quality than Maggie May that could cause overplay burnout to the point of dismissing an artists career. Early Rod Stewart deserves better...and you'd be pretty hard pressed to find an overplayed song of better quality.

And just for the record...the players on Every Picture are basically Faces with some guests. So, yeah...the band WAS so good...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2018 18:50
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
That's really too bad. It's easy to dismiss Rod for his post 1976 sins, but I think it's important to remember just how good he was prior to that, this album included. He was a great weapon in The Jeff Beck Group for two albums, was the lead singer for Faces (one of the coolest early 70's bands) and his solo career (up until A Night On The Town) was nothing but well done and tasteful. In all, 12 studio albums between 1968 and 1975, and not a one of them not worthwhile. His choices of cover material was perfect, and his originals were fine.

I could think of thousands of songs that are of lesser quality than Maggie May that could cause overplay burnout to the point of dismissing an artists career. Early Rod Stewart deserves better...and you'd be pretty hard pressed to find an overplayed song of better quality.

And just for the record...the players on Every Picture are basically Faces with some guests. So, yeah...the band WAS so good...

well stated and i concur.
  • Visit poster's website