Blind Bjork

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2018 05:24
  • Post subject: Blind Bjork
I haven't heard a ton of albums, but it's tough to find a popular artist with quite a few albums with critical acclaim and a career spanning many years that I haven't heard at least one song from. Bjork is one of those artists. I barely know who Bjork is, basically all I know about her is Winona Ryder did an impression of her on SNL and she wore a Swan Dress at the Oscars. That's it. I have no idea what her style of music even is, so I thought it'd be fun to listen to each of her albums and give my thoughts on it. I'm not including EP's, Soundtracks or Compilations. I will start with the Sugarcubes, then move on to her solo work.

Last edited by hereforashortime on 03/04/2018 05:53; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2018 05:29
  • Post subject:
Start here. This was her band before her solo career.

Life's Too Good by The Sugarcubes
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2018 05:52
  • Post subject:
I wasn't gonna do the sugarcubes, because I just wanted to do Bjork's albums, but since they only have 3 albums, why not? I'll start with them. Thanks Rocka
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2018 06:36
  • Post subject:
Well, if you really wanted to start at the beginning you would have to listen to this...

Gling-Gló by Björk Guðmundsdóttir &...ólfssonar

She made this album when she was around 10 years old! It's not very good though, it's only interesting as a historical piece.

The reason I suggested the Sugarcubes (that's really the only album to listen to) is that I think it's important to see where an artist started before you get to where they ended up. Her work changes drastically.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2018 15:15
  • Post subject:
Not going to spoil what is going to happen within her discography. But each album she has released is different from the next.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2018 17:44
  • Post subject:

Life's Too Good by The Sugarcubes

Ok Thoughts:
Overall a good album, lyrically this is pretty abstract at times, but I can still get a grasp on the basic concepts (I think). I have absolutely no idea what "delicious demon" is supposed to mean though. Bjork's vocals are phenomenal (particularly on the track birthday), I'm really looking forward to this project now. I like how the music has some variety to it, but at times it's a little jarring, not a fan of the transition from traitor to motorcrash, though I enjoyed both songs. I find the beginning and ending of this album to be the best, but I find it drags quite a bit in the middle. I wouldn't call this a phenomenal album, but it is promising, and I'm looking forward to hearing the next two of The Sugarcubes' albums.

Best Tracks:
"Motorcrash"
"Birthday"
"F***ing in Rhythm and Sorrow"

Worst Tracks:
"Mama"
"Coldsweat"
"Sick for Toys"

Predictions for the Next Album:
Gonna guess it won't be too different, but It will be slightly more produced, the male vocalist's role will be diminished, and Bjork will be completely in the spotlight. I'm gonna guess I'll like it more than this album.
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2018 18:45
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Predictions for the Next Album:
Gonna guess it won't be too different, but It will be slightly more produced, the male vocalist's role will be diminished, and Bjork will be completely in the spotlight. I'm gonna guess I'll like it more than this album.

This is exactly the opposite of what happens. Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/05/2018 06:48
  • Post subject:
Bjork is great! I have to get around to listening to a full Bjork album, but I like what I've heard so far.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2018 03:55
  • Post subject:

Here Today, Tomorrow Next Week! by The Sugarcubes

Ok Thoughts:
I'm not a fan of this one. The choices on this album just don't make sense to me. First, I don't get why the male lead has a bigger role, did he get jealous of Bjork? I could put that aside if his role was still just doing his style of speak sining, but the dude is wailing and yelling. On their own, those vocals aren't that great, but it's even worse when you do have the amazingly talented Bjork there to sing, and you don't use her. The choices in the instrumentals don't really make all that much sense on this album either. The horns on the track "Tidal Wave" really don't work with the lyrics or vocals, they feel really out of place. All the songs on this album range from just forgettable to odd. There wasn't anything on this album I'd call awful, not sure I'd even call anything that bad, but there's nothing on here I'd call good either. It's just confusing.

Reaction to my predictions from last time:

Quote:

Yeah I was WAY off. Maybe the reason this album makes no sense is because the Sugarcubes wanted to be unpredictable and unique, but I don't know.

Predictions for the next album:
Gonna guess the vocals will be more like they were on the first album, but the instrumentation will be more like the ones on this album. I'm guessing I'll like it more that HTTNW, but not more than their debut. But going based on how my predictions were last time, I'm probably gonna be completely wrong and the next album will turn out to be a hardcore nu-metal album.

Album Rankings
Life's Too Good
Here Today, Tomorrow, Next Week

Last edited by hereforashortime on 03/07/2018 06:20; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/07/2018 04:14
  • Post subject:
Too bad you didn't like it. In my opinion the best are artists like Mozart where everything they touch turn to gold.
  • Visit poster's website