Best Artist with Multiple Number 1s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which Artist do you think is better?
Kendrick Lamar
1%
 1%  [1]
Radiohead
32%
 32%  [18]
Arcade Fire
0%
 0%  [0]
Nirvana
0%
 0%  [0]
R.E.M.
1%
 1%  [1]
Pink Floyd
18%
 18%  [10]
The Beatles
21%
 21%  [12]
Miles Davis
23%
 23%  [13]
Total Votes : 55

davidhuret

France

• Posted: 03/13/2018 10:43
  • Post subject:
Radiohead's popularity on this site is quite baffling; they give me very little listening pleasure. Oh well.
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 03/13/2018 18:19
  • Post subject:
davidhuret wrote:
Radiohead's popularity on this site is quite baffling; they give me very little listening pleasure. Oh well.

Nah, everyone loves radiohead. I don't really get why though. Radiohead is one of those bands that have both popularity and is loved by critics. Radiohead is one of those few bands a random person I meet is likely to know (age dependent though) and like while also every fucking review website also has pretty high up there.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2018 18:30
  • Post subject:
its not random if everyone you meet is from the local college's sad boys club tho, and that's the only place yr going to get those sorts of guarantees abt ppl knowing and liking radiohead. because the general population won't know what a radiohead is
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2018 19:02
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Not really, which is kinda surprising.

I used to be in a metal band in college and we played a lot of Priest.

I became a metalhead when JP was at the height of their popularity.
Morover, I love Iron Maiden, and it seems that those two groups are often spoken in the same breath; that anybody who loves one loves the other. But JP never reached me.

Iron Maiden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Judas Priest
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2018 19:05
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Fischman wrote:

Morover, I love Iron Maiden, and it seems that those two groups are often spoken in the same breath; that anybody who loves one loves the other. But JP never reached me.

thanks for the reinforcement. Whenever I say such a thing, people look at me like I've got three heads.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/13/2018 19:52
  • Post subject:
Miles, easily.
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2018 19:55
  • Post subject:
The fact that Radiohead is beating miles and the Beatles makes me want to laugh and cry as well as feel really freaking old.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2018 20:03
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
The fact that Radiohead is beating miles and the Beatles makes me want to laugh and cry as well as feel really freaking old.

Kinda nice to see someone whacking the Beatles. Hopefully this will happen more and more as time goes by. Not sure I'm too keen on it being Radiohead, though.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2018 20:15
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Fischman wrote:

Not true... I think it's because Maiden's most known/popular albums are their best while you actually have to dig deeper than British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance to recognize Priest's greatness. I wouldn't say one is much better than the other, because they're equally talented in almost all categories. But Maiden never ever had a song as perfect as "Victim of Changes" or "Beyond the Realms of Death" so Priest gets my pick. They were far more versatile too, honestly. Maiden has mostly remade the same album to varying degrees of success (nothing wrong with that; AC/DC is another band who did the same but not nearly as well) while Priest has reinvented themselves multiple times (they started off like a garage version of Black Sabbath, then went to Scorpion-esque arena rock in the 80s, had an amazing thrash album with Painkiller, and so on - and this is recognizing the fact that Maiden had a synth album - Priest did as well, and that before Dickinson, Maiden were basically a Priest copycat).
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2018 20:36
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
Fischman wrote:

Not true... I think it's because Maiden's most known/popular albums are their best while you actually have to dig deeper than British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance to recognize Priest's greatness. I wouldn't say one is much better than the other, because they're equally talented in almost all categories. But Maiden never ever had a song as perfect as "Victim of Changes" or "Beyond the Realms of Death" so Priest gets my pick. They were far more versatile too, honestly. Maiden has mostly remade the same album to varying degrees of success (nothing wrong with that; AC/DC is another band who did the same but not nearly as well) while Priest has reinvented themselves multiple times (they started off like a garage version of Black Sabbath, then went to Scorpion-esque arena rock in the 80s, had an amazing thrash album with Painkiller, and so on - and this is recognizing the fact that Maiden had a synth album - Priest did as well, and that before Dickinson, Maiden were basically a Priest copycat).

I'm going to disagree, especially with the bolded.

I think Dickinson's rich, even operatic vocals are far superior to Halfords--one can really sing, the other has to resort to screaming for emphasis. Not that Hlford's bad, mind you, just that he lacks the unique and special quality of Dickinson. The songwriting from Maiden is much more interesting as well; far more thoughtful than the standard metal themes. And IMO Murray & Smith totally slay Tipton and Downing.

But that's all easy to see as rather subjective stuff. On a more solid note (so to speak), there are huge differences in two areas. Nicko McBrain's drumming is far more creative, and even that's relatively minor compared to the difference in the bass position. There's a reason everyone knows the name Steve Harris and nobody ever talks about whatshisname from Priest. Harris isn't just a great bassist, he's a monster of the entire metal genre regardless of position. A clear discriminator.

As for going synth, Turbo and Somewhere in Time were both released in 1986, so neither really beat the other to the punch and can claim too much influence on the other. But what sets them apart is that while Somewhere in Time just considered to be relatively weak when compared to Maiden's best, but still a god album, while Turbo is almost universally reviled. Moreover, Maiden came back strong with another synth-heavy album in Seventh son of a Seventh Son, considered by many devotees to be one of their very best, while Priest had no chance of mastering the sound in the genre. Once again, Maiden clearly set themselves apart from their more pedestrian NWOBHM cousins.
  • Visit poster's website