worst song by a band you like

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
PinkMind

Germany

• Posted: 03/18/2018 16:29
  • Post subject:
I absolutely hate some of the songs from my favourite bands. But don't get angry if you like them Wink it's all about taste

My favourite band, Pink Floyd, they have some tracks I just cannot stand. Seamus for example...always skip that song and flip the record over to enjoy Echoes, trust me.

The Beatles: Good Morning and Piggies

Led Zeppelin..this band polarises me sometimes. So many incredibly awesome tunes. But some really disrupt my listening experience: Most of them can be found on Led Zeppelin III and yes, I absolutely do not like the Battle of Evermore
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2018 16:49
  • Post subject:
PinkMind wrote:
I absolutely hate some of the songs from my favourite bands. But don't get angry if you like them Wink it's all about taste

My favourite band, Pink Floyd, they have some tracks I just cannot stand. Seamus for example...always skip that song and flip the record over to enjoy Echoes, trust me.

Led Zeppelin..this band polarises me sometimes. So many incredibly awesome tunes. But some really disrupt my listening experience: Most of them can be found on Led Zeppelin III and yes, I absolutely do not like the Battle of Evermore

I am just totally surprised at some of the Beatles songs that people think suck. Most of the ones people have named here I rather like. I could tell you that one of my least favorites is Got to Get you into My Life. And my other least favorites are all on the White Album. Piggies somebody already mentioned, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Martha. There's very few others I actually disike by the Beatles. They had the most amazing batting average in the history of the universe. Maybe Do it in the Road, Me & My Monkey. Those all suck. They are so subpar for the Beatles.
  • Visit poster's website
PinkMind

Germany

• Posted: 03/18/2018 17:00
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

I am just totally surprised at some of the Beatles songs that people think suck. Most of the ones people have named here I rather like. I could tell you that one of my least favorites is Got to Get you into My Life. And my other least favorites are all on the White Album. Piggies somebody already mentioned, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Martha. There's very few others I actually disike by the Beatles. They had the most amazing batting average in the history of the universe. Maybe Do it in the Road, Me & My Monkey. Those all suck. They are so subpar for the Beatles.

Like I said it's a matter of taste. But that's really interesting. Happiness is a warm gun was always one of my absolute favourites. For the Beatles it is just unique and complex.
  • Visit poster's website
Crumpet

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/18/2018 17:03
  • Post subject:
Well, there are ok songs that are just bad by the standards of the band and there are songs that are just bad.
Procol Harum had alot of less than brilliant songs on their lesser albums, Prodigal Stranger has several songs that aren’t good by Harum standards, so does Procol’s Ninth, but their worst track is The Question from The Wells on Fire. The worst of their early stuff (the good stuff) would have to be the two blues tracks from a Salty Dog, Juicy John Pink and Crucifixion Lane.

The Smiths never wrote any awful songs, but they did do a rubbish cover of Twinkle’s Golden Lights. Thier worst origional songs are Death at Ones Elbow, which has grown on me, and Girl Afraid, probably the worst origional song they did because of how vapid the lyrics are.

The Velvet Underground had some duds, though I won’t count Squeeze because that isn’t really an Underground album. The worst would be I’m Beginning to See the Light, Jesus or I’m Set Free from their self titled album, this was when Lou Reed began to take over the band, and giving that I’m not a big fan of Reed, I don’t like some of the songs the band produced around this time, but these three are the worst.

A-ha are often unfairly called an unintelligent easy pop band, but I believe they are so much more, which is why their easy pop songs are the worst. Most of their worst songs can be found on their third album, including This Alone is Love and, the worst There’s Never a Forever Thing. Other than that the worst songs of theirs are Dream Myself Alive, The Way We Talk, Move to Memphis and to a lesser extent Cold as Stone (which is good, but too long) and Maybe Maybe (which isn’t that bad, but it is really much worse than all of the other songs on their masterpiece, Scoundrel Days).

Ps. I actually really love Let Me Kiss You by Morrissey, the Morrissey solo song I’d point to as being the worst would be either Dagenham Dave, Through the Streets I Ran or, obviously, Roy’s Keen.

Pps. Billy Joel’s All You Want to do is Dance is trash.
  • Visit poster's website
PinkMind

Germany

• Posted: 03/18/2018 17:23
  • Post subject:
And now that I think about it

Hit me Like that Snare
Hunger of the pine
The Gardens of England

Are absolutely awful songs by one of my favourite bands: alt-j
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 03/18/2018 18:06
  • Post subject:
Crumpet wrote:

The Smiths never wrote any awful songs, but they did do a rubbish cover of Twinkle’s Golden Lights. Thier worst origional songs are Death at Ones Elbow, which has grown on me, and Girl Afraid, probably the worst origional song they did because of how vapid the lyrics are.

agreed Neutral
Also, I've never liked so much the melodies of Ask and Still ill.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2018 19:34
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
PinkMind wrote:

Yeah everyone seems to be on a different boat with the Beatles. I like all the songs you guys mentioned (and just can't bring myself to hate anything on the White album, flawed as it may be)

I agree with the amazing batting average thing as most of my least favorites by them are their early year covers. If I had to name a song they wrote that I'm not a fan of I'd go with the atrocious "Across the Universe." Lennon's increasingly nasal style of singing had reached its crescendo in 69-70 and was no longer suited for ballads, which is why Paul was doing most of them while Lennon was experimenting with folk, psychedelia, etc. This was kind of a blend of all three. I know it's a popular track but it was a heavy misfire in my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 03/18/2018 20:28
  • Post subject:
Ugliest Girl in the World by Bob Dylan and most of the songs in Bowie's Earthling.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/19/2018 00:04
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
PinkMind wrote:

It's funny the songs which people like or dislike by The Beatles.

For me I love the White Album and especially all the ones you mentioned, especially Happiness Is A Warm Gun. That's like one of my favourite Beatles songs. At one point The White Album was my favourite Beatles album.

And I love got to Get You Into My Life.

With me its usually a lot of their earlier tracks I kinda dislike. And I remembered another one that grates. Maxwell's Silver Hammer. That one spoils an otherwise flawless album. I hate the way McCartney laughs at his own cleverness in that song. I don't like that one much.

I agree with what you said about the high batting average.

Have any of you guys found the Beatles music a bit polarizing with friends and family, especially among those who are not really into music? I tell my friends I like the Beatles and the majority of the time I get told that they never really got into The Beatles. So many times. I could mention Pink Floyd or David Bowie or Led Zep and many people like them. But I find with other people the Beatles are polarizing. People either love em or hate them. Or else find them a bit meh. I can't understand this. the Beatles changed my life.
  • Visit poster's website
saltysurprise
Sippin' bitches' brew in the 36th Chamber

Canada

• Posted: 03/20/2018 14:04
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
saltysurprise wrote:
Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors- Radiohead
Drunk and Hot Girls- Kanye West
Square Dance- Eminem
Showroom Dummies- Kraftwerk
Revolution 9- The Beatles
From Here On Out- The Killers
Cover Me- Bruce Springsteen
Chemistry- Arcade Fire
Hash Pipe- Weezer
I Think I Smell a Rat- The White Stripes
Hot Dog- Led Zeppelin

Funny that you should mention showroom dummies by Kraftwerk. But for me it would be The Robots on The Man-Machine. It's just way too obvious. And way too Goofy. And too predictable. It makes you cringe. All kraftwerk's albums I find have at least one song like that. Just way too obvious.

I quite like The Robots. Not my favourite tune from The Man Machine (my favourite Kraftewerk album) but I think it can be pretty fun and I love the repetition of the "We are the robots" line.

I've always found Showroom Dummies to be pretty unpleasant though. It didn't really do it for me like others from that album like Europe Endless, Franz Schubert, and the title track. Still though, I love it when Kraftwerk and other German bands are discussed on these boards.