Recent albums that are already aging well

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mnorris75

• Posted: 03/17/2018 01:48
  • Post subject: Recent albums that are already aging well
I was listening to Bon Iver's 22, A Million today, and it got me thinking. As much as I liked it when it came out, the more time that passes, the higher it climbs up my rankings. Creative choices that I once thought were interesting, I now see as absolutely brilliant. Moments that I enjoyed I now find beautiful.

So I'm curious as to what other recent albums are already starting to look like they're aging well. Let's say albums from around 2010 or so, up to around the end of 2016. What albums, in their short time, have already developed and grown in your opinion, since you first heard them?

Two others I thought of are The King is Dead by The Decemberists, and The King of Limbs by Radiohead. I think the initial perception of both albums may have been hurt by the expectations that were placed on those artists. When they first came out, I thought they were good, but ultimately disappointing albums. I now appreciate much more of the complexity and the tones in The King of Limbs, and I now see The King is Dead as a beautiful homage to, and critique of, American culture, past and present,m. I believe it may actually be my favorite of all their albums.

What other albums do you guys think fit this criteria?

Last edited by mnorris75 on 03/17/2018 07:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2018 01:57
  • Post subject:
With me there is a couple album that I feel have gotten better after multiple listening times with me.
The first one is the underrated Disclosure's Caracal. At first that album to me was great. Loved the synths, drum patterns and the vocals when I first got it. Now after over 2 and a half years later, I argue it is a masterpiece and the better record within the groups discography. Well until their third record comes out. Have to wait for 2019 for that one.

The other one that I believe holds up well is the recent Jamiroquai record. Loved it at the beginning and continues to get better. Hell, I actually get what the story that is being told.

Once I get more records from this decade, I will let you know what has gotten better after having time with the albums.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2018 02:54
  • Post subject:
A Moon Shaped Pool ranks 3rd on my overall chart already. I listen to it basically every other night. One of the most beautiful and moody records I've ever heard. Every single moment of it I hold very dear to my heart, and it will always pull me in immediately with Burn The Witch. I never get tired of it, nor do I predict I ever will. I think it is easily Radiohead's best album, its certainly the one that pulls me into a different world that I prefer to live in at night.
  • Visit poster's website
Jaymantheman

Canada

• Posted: 03/17/2018 06:27
  • Post subject:
I was thinking about this a few weeks ago with Car Seat Headrest - Teens Of Denial, and also the remake of Twin Fantasy. Both are fantastic and get better with each listen.

Badbadnotgood - IV is another
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 03/18/2018 12:51
  • Post subject:
Given the time I could probably come with at least 20 but straight off the bat I’m going to go with the latest from Fleet Foxes, Crack-Up. On first listen I knew I was going to see it as another masterful notch on their belt (geez I’m overflowing with cliches tonight) but there was some very apparent differences between it & 2011’s Helplessness Blues. This was to be expected, it had been 6 years and of course they’d all matured but there was something about the second half, particularly, that didn’t feel like Fleet Foxes to me. Don’t get me wrong, I love how Robin & Co. got to experimenting as much as the next avid fan but I guess I can’t be impartial when it comes to Fleet Foxes. Since then though, I put Crack-Up and it’s second half up in the pantheon with their first two records & the Sun Giant EP. Now it’s time to bring on IV! Because god knows, Robin’s still teasing us!

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
PinkMind

Germany

• Posted: 03/18/2018 16:17
  • Post subject:
Lonerism by Tame Impala and probably The Suburbs by Arcade Fire. I can't get enough of them and they do pretty well in the charts here.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 03/21/2018 13:23
  • Post subject:

Relapse by Eminem

This album was often criticized upon its release even eminem disses it on recovery. It has however become somewhat of a cult horror core rap classic. It's popularity seems to be growing while some other eminem albus have lost some luster.
  • Visit poster's website
saltysurprise
Sippin' bitches' brew in the 36th Chamber

Canada

• Posted: 03/21/2018 20:15
  • Post subject:
I feel like Yeezus by Kanye West is really aging well. It has gone from my most hated Kanye album, to my favourite rap record of all time. It stands out as a short and direct listening experience in contrast to his longer albums, most of which have a little too much filler. Even though it isn't for a lot of people, I love the abrasive sound and odd lyrical decisions on some of these tracks. This album contains banger after banger from On Sight, to Blood on the Leaves to Send it Up. This all leads up to Bound 2, one of the oddest yet most compelling expressions of emotion I have ever heard to put to record.

To anybody who wrote this album off, I would HIGHLY recommend giving it a few more listens before disregarding it for good.
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/21/2018 21:06
  • Post subject:
Carrie & Lowell was timeless the minute it came out.
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 03/21/2018 21:23
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Carrie & Lowell was timeless the minute it came out.

Blonde too

Take Care has aged extremely well
  • Visit poster's website