Which band introduced you to music?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
PinkMind

Germany

• Posted: 03/18/2018 20:47
  • Post subject: Which band introduced you to music?
For all of us, there must have been a band/ an artist, that has a special place in our hearts. Because this is where it all began. One band that opened the gates to the world of music. That gave us the will to investigate more and more and get to know other musicians. Maybe that band is even the reason you started making music by yourself.
In my case the starting point were the Beatles. I am just 18, but thanks to my dad, who was a huge fan I grew up with the awesome music. Rubber Soul was the first album I deliberatly listened to, as an album. The next step was Dark Side of The Moon...after hearing the record I instantly bought Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Animals and The Division Bell. And from that day on I look forward to discovering new, awesome music every day.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/18/2018 21:52
  • Post subject:
My first musical love was Aerosmith. Early 90s Aerosmith!! I was 13 and I was listening to Get a Grip, Pump and Permanent Vacation like it was going out of style (and it was Sad ). Some of my friends were getting into Nirvana and I did like them too. But Aerosmith ruled!!!
Yann

France

• Posted: 03/18/2018 21:57
  • Post subject:
When I was your age, my favorite band was The Cure, and when I was a child, I listened to my elder brother and sister's records: Alan Parsons Project, The Police, The Eagles, Donald Fagen, etc
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/18/2018 22:02
  • Post subject:
First non-Croatian bands I've been a huge fan of were RHCP, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Bon Jovi and Green Day... Not a big fan of any of them anymore (not that they're bad, I just can't listen to them anymore). I like to think my musical knowledge and taste has progressed at least a bit lol. Although there are some songs I seemingly know as long as I'm alive and still listen to today. Friday I'm In Love, Lullaby, From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea (this one's my absolute favourite even now), Pride, New Year's Day... Oh my God now I have nostalgia attack, gotta find those 3 old CDs I used to listen to on repeat as a 5 year old haha

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2018 22:04
  • Post subject:
Like many a child I was raised on classic rock radio. Your Floyd's, Zeppelin's, Who's, etc.

I only return to stuff like that every once in awhile now.
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 03/18/2018 22:04
  • Post subject:
Although good music was played at my house since I was little and I remember singing to Leonard Cohen or Supertramp individual songs, I think that the band which really got me me to music was Coldplay. I was pre-teen when they became so popular with songs like Clocks or Yellow so I think it that is the first english speaking band I downloaded and listened to all their songs, not just two or three.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 03/18/2018 22:13
  • Post subject:
That's a harder question than it should be. I'm only a little older than you, from a very musical family. I used to listen to some of the compilations my Dad had around - Jackson Five, John Denver (my step-mum's - Dad didn't like him much, lol). But I don't really listen to those guys at all anymore. The only band I still listen to, really my first favourite band had to be The Beatles. Dad had the blue double CD comp, of their later work from Sgt Pepper's to Let It Be. I listened to that again and again, and it wasn't until I reached high school that I realised there was plenty of good modern music out there, or even music beyond The Beatles. Yeah, I was a little obsessed.
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2018 22:19
  • Post subject:
The first band I loved was The Beatles, probably around the age of 5 or 6. The band that got me interested in adopting music listening and album collecting as a hobby was Dire Straits. At one point really early into the hobby I had 4 or 5 Dire Strait's records in my top 100. I never listen to them now although I do love Knopfler's guitar work.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 03/18/2018 23:30
  • Post subject:
Rage Against the Machine, Sublime, Blind Melon, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/18/2018 23:35
  • Post subject:
Beatles for sure
I borrowed the blue and red albums on cassette from a friend aged 13, in about 1988.
Before that I just listened to chart music or Bon Jovi or Gloria Estefan.
Then I dug out my Dad's vinyl copy of Get Stoned, an obscure Rolling Stones compilation and played that to death.

Then my school form Tutor lent me 2 albums the soundtrack to Easy Rider and a Jimi Hendrix hits compilation. they kinda blew my mind.

In my last year of school I got into The Cure and The Smiths through 2 female friends. And through my mate James I got really into 60s music. And Bob Marley.

Then in 91 Grunge happened and I got into Nirvana, Pearl Jam et al and a load of indie bands like Neds Atomic Dustbin and stuff. Plus the TV inspired a punk revival because of Grunge and I got into loads of classic British and American punk bands especially the Pistols the Clash, The Damned, Buzzcocks and Ramones and Iggy Pop. Also post punk bands like Bauhaus and U2 and Joy Division and later Siouxsie stuff.

Around the same time I got really into David Bowie and Pink Floyd then I started listening to all the Beatles albums. Later I got into Led Zeppelin and Eric Clapton.

Then I started going regularly to my Indie disco, a club by a pier, and got into industrial and more punk grunge and indie. Bands like Pixies, Sheep On Drugs, The Breeders, The Cult, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Nine Inch Nails and many others.

Along the way I liked a few other genres like dance music or a bit of metal, mostly Sabbath and a little Metallica.

And then in 94/95 Britpop happened and that was cool. So that was Pulp, Oasis, Blur Suede and Elastica. Then Radiohead and Bjork and The Prodigy and others a bit later on for me. Although I liked Radiohead from the start I got into them a bit more seriously later on.

But really it all began with The Beatles.
  • Visit poster's website