Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 15:07
  • Post subject:
Kansas and Boston saved me from Disco
The Rolling Stones and The Who immersed me fully into rock.
Rush made me a full fledged music fanatic.

Years later, Bach, Beethoven, Haydn and Dvorak made me a classical freak.

Years later, Buddy Guy turned me into a blues aficionado.

Years after that, Wes Montgomery, Lee Morgan, and Art Blakey led me to jazz fanaticism.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/20/2018 18:58
  • Post subject:
I'm sorry to this day I can't stand it when Brit turns up on iheartradio, there are stations I can't listen to primarily because of her coming up all the time. Probably all the lame "foreign" music influence...
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/21/2018 01:24
  • Post subject:
Britney Spears isn't even the worst pop artist. There are likely hundreds of pop artists worse than her.

I mean she wouldn't make a top 1000 things worth listening to list, but to say she's the worst recording artist ever, eh, I don't think so.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/21/2018 01:51
  • Post subject:
@seth

I said Major artist
  • Visit poster's website
FelixC

• Posted: 03/21/2018 04:31
  • Post subject:
Beatles, Rolling Stones
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/21/2018 04:35
  • Post subject:
@ FelixC

The Beatles should have introduced me when I was a kid but I just didn't feel it. Still don't actually...
  • Visit poster's website
FelixC

• Posted: 03/21/2018 04:50
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
@ FelixC

The Beatles should have introduced me when I was a kid but I just didn't feel it. Still don't actually...

That's just it. When I was a kid, The Beatles and the Stones were the songs that stuck in my head the most. And it made me want to find even more, so I got into music to seek out more good songs. So that's why I think they're the ones who introduced me to music. But of course not ONLY them.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 03/21/2018 15:47
  • Post subject:
For the first 10 years of my life I enjoyed listening to songs, whatever came on the radio and whatnot, but it wasn't ever anything I liked because it was music, or for its own beauty and art.

My dad is a musician, a good guitarist, drummer, and singer and has had the music bug since long before I was born. He would be playing music all the time, either recordings or through instruments himself. Since he was the drummer, a lot of the time his bands' practices would be held at my house.

However, music did not click with me until one day my dad picked me up after school in I believe 6th grade. He had Stevie Wonder- The Definitive Collection greatest hits cd playing in his truck. I hoped in his car as Superstition was ending which was perfect timing being the only Stevie Wonder song I had a chance of knowing at the time. On the way home Higher Ground and Living For The City played and I was hooked. Shortly there after I asked my dad if I could borrow that cd and I don't know if he's ever gotten to listen to it by his own choice since then Laughing

That was certainly a "..And I haven't looked back" moment in my life. It was the first time music really spoke to me and it was a world away from the shallow pop radio I had been ingesting for the first decade of my life (especially including 1998-2003, not the best time for pop in my opinion).
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2018 00:40
  • Post subject:
Kanye West. I didn't really get into the habit of listening to a WHOLE album until freshman year of high school when Yeezy dropped Dark Fantasy. But after that I didn't start jumping into the underground just yet, I was mostly looking for popular rap albums because I just didn't have the experience in music listening yet. I didn't escape the mainstream pop-o-sphere until junior year when I first heard Kid A by Radiohead (I know it isn't an obscure album by our standards, but coming from only using radio and my classmate's recommendations for new music, this was obscure for me at the time!) and from there I started nailing the indie essentials. Year after year after that, I get more and more underground with my searches. Kanye is the one that technically introduced me into the concept of listening to albums as a whole and, thus, this hobby we all share.

Kanye was always there for me because he's got the fun rap hits that I can put on the aux and satisfy everyone (can't exactly bump shoegaze when I'm hosting a pre-game for a large crowd to go to the clubs) and he's also a good conversation starter. But as I get older, I start to realize how fuckin' brilliant the man is. I've shed some artists lately, main one being Drake (I'm working on a new overall and Take Care is going to drop, unfortunately), but Kanye is still holding on strong.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2018 02:54
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
For the first 10 years of my life I enjoyed listening to songs, whatever came on the radio and whatnot, but it wasn't ever anything I liked because it was music, or for its own beauty and art.

My dad is a musician, a good guitarist, drummer, and singer and has had the music bug since long before I was born. He would be playing music all the time, either recordings or through instruments himself. Since he was the drummer, a lot of the time his bands' practices would be held at my house.

However, music did not click with me until one day my dad picked me up after school in I believe 6th grade. He had Stevie Wonder- The Definitive Collection greatest hits cd playing in his truck. I hoped in his car as Superstition was ending which was perfect timing being the only Stevie Wonder song I had a chance of knowing at the time. On the way home Higher Ground and Living For The City played and I was hooked. Shortly there after I asked my dad if I could borrow that cd and I don't know if he's ever gotten to listen to it by his own choice since then Laughing

That was certainly a "..And I haven't looked back" moment in my life. It was the first time music really spoke to me and it was a world away from the shallow pop radio I had been ingesting for the first decade of my life (especially including 1998-2003, not the best time for pop in my opinion).

Cool story.
  • Visit poster's website