"Get To Know A Top 10" Listening Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Would you be interested in this listening project?
Yes
89%
 89%  [33]
No
10%
 10%  [4]
Total Votes : 37

Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2018 23:16
  • Post subject:
Clearly there's enough interest. I'd just make sure we don't get overwhelmed as Tap suggested and keep it to one album per week. #AOTW
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2018 23:56
  • Post subject:
Awesome to see so much interest!

I guess we have some key choices to make about format. Do we want this to be oriented only to making new discoveries, or oriented to both making new discoveries and delving into established classics?

I had envisioned it as the latter, which is why I proposed one month per top ten. Most top tens wouldn't be too overwhelming to cover in that format, as they often contain a mix of familiar and unique material. During the month, each user could engage with the albums they're interested in talking about, which could be anywhere from just one of them to all ten.

However, I am open to the project avoiding established classics if more people want that. Modified top tens then would probably be necessary*, with a rank cutoff set. In that case, the one album per week format would make a lot more sense.

Either way, I do want to be mindful of how we can maintain interest. Would ten weeks per user be harder to sustain interest for than one month per user? Perhaps. One thing ten weeks per user would do is limit the number of users who would ultimately get to participate. Then again, if we do one month per user but too many of the albums are familiar to everyone, that might deplete interest as well.

*Regardless of the format we choose, I think some top tens may need to be modified a) for considerations of album accessibility and b) to avoid duplicating albums from previous "Get To Know A Top 10"s
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 00:01
  • Post subject:
I would choose the latter. Gives us to see what is considered the all time essentials. But also to find new stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 00:05
  • Post subject:
I was thinking about starting the SLP up again. Could it be a playlist comprised of selections from our top 10?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 00:19
  • Post subject:
hmm Id struggle with chopping up the albums in a way that still communicated why I think they're great, I think whole is better. and including canon picks seems good because theyre a part of the context the other albums sit in.

I think I'd be able to do the first month fine, but 5 months down the line might be tricky. maybe instead of a thread focused on one person we do an exchange thing where we get paired up with someone and spend a month taking in someones top ten, and then another month where we all discuss our experiences? and then if interest continues you could repeat with new pairs.

id still be down for a month focus on one person because that will be a different sort of conversation, I dunno if I'll be able to sustain for that many tho
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 00:29
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
In, but only if custom charts can be nominated/considered as it allows for a little more scope than going over some albums I imagine some of us have heard umpteen times.

I'm in, and I second this one

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/20/2018 09:38
  • Post subject:
Aight, SO, I accidentally voted 'no' because it was late and I wasn't thinking. I meant yes. So, like, one out of those 2 'no' votes, that's me Laughing

I'm down. I think I'd have 2 or 3 custom charts for consideration. The less popular the albums the better of course.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 03/20/2018 10:49
  • Post subject:
I would enjoy this.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 14:56
  • Post subject:
I know that some of us have charts or a lot of albums that, according to the site, only we have ostensibly listened to. So, if it really were to be our own Top 10, then maybe using albums like those would be a good idea?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 15:08
  • Post subject:
Ok so how about this? Each user can submit one chart for consideration, which can be an overall top 10 or the top 10 of a custom chart. If there are albums that are difficult to get ahold of, we can simply replace them with #11 on the chart, and so on. If you want to make a substitution for reasons other than album availability or avoiding duplicates, please own that choice by editing your chart accordingly.

We can spend one month on each user in order to get to more people and keep things moving, but there's no pressure to absorb all ten albums or "keep up." Just listen to what you can when you can and talk about that.

I think Tap's exchange idea is cool too. If enough people are interested in that maybe we can try it once we're done with this.

If you are one of the people who wants to use a custom chart, please indicate which one you will be submitting in this thread. If you have posted your interest but like me don't want to submit your top 10, please indicate that as well. Otherwise, I will assume that every poster's top 10 (except YoungPunk of course) is in for consideration.