Hot Take: The New Jack White Album Is Underrated

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Is Boarding House Reach By Jack White Good?
Yes
73%
 73%  [11]
No
26%
 26%  [4]
Total Votes : 15

KarmaCop

• Posted: 03/31/2018 01:15
  • Post subject: Hot Take: The New Jack White Album Is Underrated
"Boarding House Reach" is my AOTY at the moment. I think some people don't like it because he took a different route than what people are used to, which is understandable. What do you guys think? Do you like his new album?
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2018 01:25
  • Post subject: Re: Hot Take: The New Jack White Album Is Underrated
KarmaCop wrote:
"Boarding House Reach" is my AOTY at the moment. I think some people don't like it because he took a different route than what people are used to, which is understandable. What do you guys think? Do you like his new album?

I haven't finished that album yet, but what I have heard I really like it. Very irresistible funk grooves and interesting electronic tinkering.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/31/2018 01:29
  • Post subject:
I actually don't have many candidates for album of the year. The Weeknds album will probably change that though... (Either 2018 is worse than the past two years or I am getting too obsessed digging up old albums on BEA.) Boarding House Reach is definitely not it though lol. Voted no.
  • Visit poster's website
awesomness425

Canada

• Posted: 03/31/2018 01:33
  • Post subject:
I've listened to it 2 1/2 times now and I definitely dig it. It's not as cohesive as I would like it to be, and Anthony's 9/10 is fucking insane, it's not anyway near that levels, but its good. And also, people banging on this for being experimental is hilarious..This may be his least commercial, but there is much more experimental stuff out there.
backhudson

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2018 01:40
  • Post subject:
I can't help but agree. The only album I think is of the same level thus far is Now Only by Mount Eerie. I know this new White album is getting some mixed reception but I really think it will age well. Great production and such a unique direction for him to be taking. Very glad he isn't taking the same route as before and playing it safe. It is by no means a perfect record, but it is so eclectic and fun.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/31/2018 01:48
  • Post subject:
awesomness425 wrote:
I've listened to it 2 1/2 times now and I definitely dig it. It's not as cohesive as I would like it to be, and Anthony's 9/10 is fucking insane, it's not anyway near that levels, but its good. And also, people banging on this for being experimental is hilarious..This may be his least commercial, but there is much more experimental stuff out there.

This is the most experimental music I've heard other than the garbage post-modern John Cage type music. I don't think its that bad, but its not particularly clever either. Jack White has definitely made a statement though, that is for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/31/2018 02:00
  • Post subject:
awesomness425 wrote:

I think that’s because he gave Lazaretto a pretty bad review, he needed to correct that mistake Smile But in all reality, only time will tell if this album is just cool experimentation without much essence or is it a masterpiece.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
KarmaCop

• Posted: 03/31/2018 04:05
  • Post subject:
awesomness425 wrote:

To be honest I would rate it the same exact thing.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2018 08:21
  • Post subject:
I could always appreciate his music but never really enjoyed it. But it's always a good sign when rock artists discover electronic music. It usually brightens their music considerably.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/31/2018 09:26
  • Post subject:
Well, we now have two threads on the same album in pretty much the same week Confused

Glad you have brought it to my attention though. Just listened. I think it's very good.

It reminds me of Funkadelic, bits of Prince, Beck's Midnite Vultures and plenty more...

I'm surprised it's caught so many people off guard! It's not so different from what's been made in the past. It's really good though and I think it will be widely recognised as one of the albums of the year when that time comes around.