Get To Know A Top 10: April 2018 Thread - Luigii

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 23:24
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
I never got the hype on geogaddi to be honest. like it's solid and pushing into interesting territory for sure, and maybe part of it is me never getting over it leaking in 96kbps, but theres some dull patches on it for me. Like music is math, that main melody thing always hits me as the wrong side of cheesy, and sunshine recorder/julie and candy/1969 all have their strengths but at the same time it sort of feels lacking? I dunno, it's all a cool space to exist in but I love being in telephasic workshop so much more.

I would argee Julie and Candy as well as Dawn Chorus can get a bit atonal, but songs like Music is Math Sunshine Recorder and 1969 never felt lacking to me at all. But I can understand being more fascinated with songs like Telephasic Workshop alot due to MHTRTC just being that special back in the 90's and almost being 20 years old at this point of time their output still feels out of this world. But don't worry of not being crazy about it. There are those critically acclaimed records that we won't care for.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2018 13:13
  • Post subject:
So I'll talk a bit about the albums I already know from this top-10 and dive more into it as I can:

Age of Adz - As far as I'm concerned, Sufjan can almost do no wrong. Age of Adz I actually hadn't really gotten into until the past year or so, but I love the album. It's probably Sufjan's most adventurous album and I really appreciate that. There's a lot to explore here and I honestly might take this thread as an excuse to listen to it again.

Geogaddi - This is another album I might listen to again just because I haven't heard it in forever. When I first started getting into electronic music, Boards of Canada was where I started. I fell in love with Music Has The Right To Children, and I really loved Tomorrow's Harvest, but Geogaddi didn't stick with me like the others did. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. I'll listen to it again though.

Virgins - this was actually the first Tim Hecker album I ever listened to, and like Geogaddi, I haven't heard it in years. I liked it, but I didn't find it to be as strong as Harmony in Ultraviolet for example (my current Hecker favorite). Again though, I'm gonna give it a re-listen.

Pop - I've really grown to love ambient music within the past year or so, and Gas has become one of my favorite bands in the genre. I actually prefer Zauberberg to this album, but not by leaps and bounds. Gas's whole discography is wonderful, and this album is definitely one of their strongest.

To Pimp A Butterfly - Hard to say anything that hasn't already been said about this album. This album was Kendrick's big statement album, more so than GKMC I think, and it's an absolutely phenomenal album.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2018 20:01
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
So I'll talk a bit about the albums I already know from this top-10 and dive more into it as I can:

Age of Adz - As far as I'm concerned, Sufjan can almost do no wrong. Age of Adz I actually hadn't really gotten into until the past year or so, but I love the album. It's probably Sufjan's most adventurous album and I really appreciate that. There's a lot to explore here and I honestly might take this thread as an excuse to listen to it again.

Geogaddi - This is another album I might listen to again just because I haven't heard it in forever. When I first started getting into electronic music, Boards of Canada was where I started. I fell in love with Music Has The Right To Children, and I really loved Tomorrow's Harvest, but Geogaddi didn't stick with me like the others did. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. I'll listen to it again though.

Virgins - this was actually the first Tim Hecker album I ever listened to, and like Geogaddi, I haven't heard it in years. I liked it, but I didn't find it to be as strong as Harmony in Ultraviolet for example (my current Hecker favorite). Again though, I'm gonna give it a re-listen.

Pop - I've really grown to love ambient music within the past year or so, and Gas has become one of my favorite bands in the genre. I actually prefer Zauberberg to this album, but not by leaps and bounds. Gas's whole discography is wonderful, and this album is definitely one of their strongest.

To Pimp A Butterfly - Hard to say anything that hasn't already been said about this album. This album was Kendrick's big statement album, more so than GKMC I think, and it's an absolutely phenomenal album.

Do love GKMC. But TPAB is superior in every way. Second, I think Gas is just one guy. I also need to go through the rest of his discography. Third, Harmony in Ultraviolet has the same rating that I gave Virgins. The only reason that this is higher is due to how jaw dropping the album is. Fourth, I got to go back to listen to Tomorrows Harvest again. And I do own it. Lastly, got to go through the rest of Sufjans albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2018 02:26
  • Post subject:
Hey Luigii, I checked out Campfire Headphase and I friggin' loved it. I definitely have to give their other albums a relistens, but I wouldn't be surprised if I called it my favorite release by them.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2018 02:31
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:
Hey Luigii, I checked out Campfire Headphase and I friggin' loved it. I definitely have to give their other albums a relistens, but I wouldn't be surprised if I called it my favorite release by them.

I had a feeling you would love it due to your greatest chart description. But I wouldn't be surprised either. Hell I need to give Campfire a 100 as well. It's just the vibe that Geogaddi gives of is just spell binding and really meticulous that it ended up being the record I would tell people who are interested in electronics to check out. Even though I have listen to Campfire a lot more. Hell probably the most played Boards record underneath my belt.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 04/04/2018 11:52
  • Post subject:
Since I've only heard 2-3 albums from the list, I'm really looking forward into hearing the rest. Will be back soon with some opinions after I've listened to them all.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2018 14:47
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Since I've only heard 2-3 albums from the list, I'm really looking forward into hearing the rest. Will be back soon with some opinions after I've listened to them all.

Have fun.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2018 00:23
  • Post subject:
Velocity : Design : Comfort

It's like a simulation through a different dimension. A surreal but cheerful dimension full of gorgeous landscapes and warm summer air. There's always a rainbow in the sky, and waterfalls off in the distance. Things can glitch out, and you will get stuck occasionally in some ominous and complex locations, but everything always remains playful to some degree. Through optimism and high doses of acid you always manage to find your way back to where you are supposed to be.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2018 00:48
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:

It's like a simulation through a different dimension. A surreal but cheerful dimension full of gorgeous landscapes and warm summer air. There's always a rainbow in the sky, and waterfalls off in the distance. Things can glitch out, and you will get stuck occasionally in some ominous and complex locations, but everything always remains playful to some degree. Through optimism and high doses of acid you always manage to find your way back to where you are supposed to be.

This is the perfect description for the album.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2018 03:03
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
travelful wrote:

This is the perfect description for the album.

Onto 'The Age Of Adz'. I have listened to The Age Of Adz a few times before, but never really fully dived into it. I'm excited.
  • Visit poster's website