Get To Know A Top 10: April 2018 Thread - Luigii

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2018 18:50
  • Post subject: Get To Know A Top 10: April 2018 Thread - Luigii
By a single vote, Luigii is the winner of the first poll. So here are the ten albums we will be discussing during the month of April:

1. Velocity : Design : Comfort - Sweet Trip
2. The Age Of Adz - Sufjan Stevens
3. Caracal - Disclosure
4. Geogaddi - Boards Of Canada
5. Virgins - Tim Hecker
6. Medúlla - Björk
7. Pop - Gas
8. To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
9. California - Mr. Bungle
10. The Mollusk - Ween

Again, you can listen to as many of these as you have time and energy for - no pressure to get to know all ten well. This discussion also doesn't have to take place in order, because different people will be listening to them at different times.

Drop your musings, analysis, etc. here as the inspiration hits you. But please do try to pay attention to and interact with what other people have been saying where possible so we can have a productive discussion.

Last edited by baystateoftheart on 06/01/2019 00:50; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2018 19:17
  • Post subject:
I've listened to most of these but let's start with #1. Not a story I haven't told before but it helps describe my love for this album.

One day 3-5 years ago, I was browsing BEA and sorted the albums by their rating. At the time this only had 20-something votes so it was still relatively unknown here, but at an 85/100 (which has since lowered a fair bit over time) it was by a good margin the highest-rated album I had not listened to yet. So naturally I dropped ten bucks on iTunes and gave it a listen. I enjoyed it enough to add it to my chart but was so into discovering new music I gradually forgot it over time. Then one night I was tripping on acid and played it and it ate away a chunk of my brain that never grew back. What an experience. Anyway now everytime I listen to it I have mild flashbacks that bring a smile to my face and a murmur to my heart. This album is gonna kill me one day. Best listened to LOUD, which is something I rarely do for music anymore but is required for this. Loud, and with a really good quality set of speakers.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2018 21:13
  • Post subject:
Let's look a little deeper into this top 10 and look at the ways these albums relate together. Genres taken from RYM

2003, Darla Records, USA
Glitch Pop, IDM, Shoegaze

2010, Asthmatic Kitty, USA
Art Pop, Progressive Pop, Chamber Pop

3. Caracal - Disclosure
2015, Island, UK
UK Bass, House, UK Funky

2002, Warp, UK
IDM

5. Virgins - Tim Hecker
2013, Kranky, Canada
Ambient, Drone

6. Medúlla - Björk
2004, One Little Indian, Iceland
Art Pop, A cappella, Experimental

7. Pop - Gas
2000, Kompakt, Germany
Ambient

2015, Top Dawg, USA
Conscious Hip Hop, West Coast Hip Hop, Jazz Rap

1999, Warner Bros, USA
Experimental Rock, Art Rock

10. The Mollusk - Ween
1997, Elektra, USA
Art Rock, Neo-Psychedelia

So this is a pretty focused collection here. Almost everything is from this century, except for the two major label rock weirdos at the end of the list. Those ones are a bit all over the place in how they fuck with genre, and I feel like maybe stuff like Kendrick, Bjork, Sweet Trip, and Sufjan operate with a similar spirit, but with a more unified approach? I feel like BoC, Tim Hecker, and Gas represent a different mode of listening than those others, the more contemplative side of the listening. It's like you've got a sort of yin and yang thing going with some music looking outward and some inward... sorry if this sounds kind of choppy, I've been under the weather and have a bit of the brain fog going. But I think you've got a cool mix here that gives a good idea of your perspective on music.

So what's the story on this Disclosure album? I usually see it not so well regarded, and it has a high place here, so I'd be really curious to hear thoughts on that one.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2018 22:43
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
Let's look a little deeper into this top 10 and look at the ways these albums relate together. Genres taken from RYM

2003, Darla Records, USA

3. Caracal - Disclosure
2015, Island, UK
UK Bass, House, UK Funky

2002, Warp, UK
IDM

5. Virgins - Tim Hecker
2013, Kranky, Canada
Ambient, Drone

6. Medúlla - Björk

7. Pop - Gas
2000, Kompakt, Germany
Ambient

2015, Top Dawg, USA

1999, Warner Bros, USA

10. The Mollusk - Ween
1997, Elektra, USA

Nice! This helps out a lot. Just got back from a long road trip with my kids so pretty beat understandably. Will comment in a few days for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 01:16
  • Post subject:
Well, the only albums that I have not listened to are the Disclosure one (only the first few tracks) and the Bjork album. (I've listened to everything up to Vespertine and Vulnicura, but this one got skipped for some reason? Idk why). Anyways, in preparation for you probably winning the poll, I went back and listened to the first two since it had been awhile.

Velocity Design Comfort is a cool album. I think the first few tracks and last couple tracks are the strongest points, and it drags somewhat in the middle. Certainly what makes this album worth listening to is the broad variety of genres and sounds that are present. An electronic odyssey with some shoegaze thrown in for good measure.

I'm not a big fan of Sufjan Stevens, but Age of Adz is probably his most interesting album. Intricately arranged and instrumentally dense, I can't say that this album is not impressive on it's technical merits. Some tracks drag on a bit though, and by the end I was just saying to myself "I get it Sufjan, I get it."

I'll touch on the other albums when we get there.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 04/01/2018 01:27
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
2003, Darla Records, USA

3. Caracal - Disclosure
2015, Island, UK
UK Bass, House, UK Funky

2002, Warp, UK
IDM

5. Virgins - Tim Hecker
2013, Kranky, Canada
Ambient, Drone

6. Medúlla - Björk

7. Pop - Gas
2000, Kompakt, Germany
Ambient

2015, Top Dawg, USA

1999, Warner Bros, USA

10. The Mollusk - Ween
1997, Elektra, USA

Heard all of them, love all of them! Luigii himself was the one that turned me onto his #1, I only heard it at the beginning of the year. And it's something else! Such a euphoria blend of IDM & Shoegaze, sprinkled with some ambient for good measure. To Pimp A Butterfly is probably my personal favourite on here (Age of Adz comes close). I think the thing I love the most about this chart is Luigii is not ashamed to show his distinctive style off and it really pays off for him. I mean the results are here, you just have to look. So congrats Luig, my main man.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 03:13
  • Post subject: Re: Get To Know A Top 10: April Thread - Luigii
baystateoftheart wrote:
By a single vote, Luigii is the winner of the first poll. So here are the ten albums we will be discussing during the month of April:

3. Caracal - Disclosure
5. Virgins - Tim Hecker
6. Medúlla - Björk
7. Pop - Gas
10. The Mollusk - Ween

Again, you can listen to as many of these as you have time and energy for - no pressure to get to know all ten well. This discussion also doesn't have to take place in order, because different people will be listening to them at different times.

Drop your musings, analysis, etc. here as the inspiration hits you. But please do try to pay attention to and interact with what other people have been saying where possible so we can have a productive discussion.

So in efforts to stop buying new CD's and wave and save money (which hasn't been working lately), I've started to revisit my top 250ish albums and refurbish my overall chart. Since starting the project, I was able to revisit some albums I haven't heard in years and a few of them appear on this chart, fortunately.

Starting with Sweet Trip... damn. What an addicting listen. I discovered it similar to how badseed discovered it. I purchased the CD out of pure instinct on Amazon because I had a gut feeling that this album was going to be good and holy shit it was. I remember sitting in my dorm freshman year of college, waiting in between classes on a cool, crisp, and vibrant spring afternoon, putting the album on for the first time, and nearly defecating my pants because of how much fun I was having with this album. It's a perfect balance of serene beauty and glitched-out chaos. I revisited it a few weeks ago while running on an afternoon similar to the afternoon when I first listened to the album and it was an indescribably euphoria.

Geogaddi is an album I keep neglecting and I hate myself for doing so. The only other albums I've heard by Boards of Canada are Music Has The Right To Children and In A Beautiful Place Out in the Country, but it's so interesting to campare Geogaddi to them. It's a darker and, in my opinion, a tougher listen, but highly rewarding at the same time.

Going back to my favorite albums project, I revisited Virgins by Tim Hecker while studying for a Human Physiology exam and it got even better with age. It's like a collision of beauty and anxiety. I think I like it more than Ravedeath, 1972 now, but we'll see when the project is over.

Pop by Gas is an album I want to LOVE, but I only like. I want to be completely engulfed by my listen, but something about it prevents me from doing so. I really enjoyed Narkopop, though, and I hope his new album coming out this year will be just as good.

And I'm not even going to go into TPAB because I am not worthy.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 16:04
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:

So this is a pretty focused collection here. Almost everything is from this century, except for the two major label rock weirdos at the end of the list. Those ones are a bit all over the place in how they fuck with genre, and I feel like maybe stuff like Kendrick, Bjork, Sweet Trip, and Sufjan operate with a similar spirit, but with a more unified approach? I feel like BoC, Tim Hecker, and Gas represent a different mode of listening than those others, the more contemplative side of the listening. It's like you've got a sort of yin and yang thing going with some music looking outward and some inward... sorry if this sounds kind of choppy, I've been under the weather and have a bit of the brain fog going. But I think you've got a cool mix here that gives a good idea of your perspective on music.

So what's the story on this Disclosure album? I usually see it not so well regarded, and it has a high place here, so I'd be really curious to hear thoughts on that one.

You did pretty well with the brief synopsis. Hell, I would argue that you thought outside the box. But with me these records give off a synopsis of what I enjoy in music as well as having a personal relation towards these albums. They might have a connection with video games, cartoons or on an individual level, I just gel with the palette that the record gives me.

Now with Caracal, almost two and a half years when it came out it became the album that I have played the most out of my collection. And unlike the general consensus that was meh towards the album, I fucking love the album. Hell, i could probably go a good 20 to 30 minutes explaining why I love the album and why it is my favorite album of 2015.

Also during the month, I will probably post the other albums that I had given a 100 in this forum to give users what I personally enjoy the most music wise.

Last edited by Luigii on 04/02/2018 00:06; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 16:51
  • Post subject: Re: Get To Know A Top 10: April Thread - Luigii
Anti wrote:

So in efforts to stop buying new CD's and wave and save money (which hasn't been working lately), I've started to revisit my top 250ish albums and refurbish my overall chart. Since starting the project, I was able to revisit some albums I haven't heard in years and a few of them appear on this chart, fortunately.

Starting with Sweet Trip... damn. What an addicting listen. I discovered it similar to how badseed discovered it. I purchased the CD out of pure instinct on Amazon because I had a gut feeling that this album was going to be good and holy shit it was. I remember sitting in my dorm freshman year of college, waiting in between classes on a cool, crisp, and vibrant spring afternoon, putting the album on for the first time, and nearly defecating my pants because of how much fun I was having with this album. It's a perfect balance of serene beauty and glitched-out chaos. I revisited it a few weeks ago while running on an afternoon similar to the afternoon when I first listened to the album and it was an indescribably euphoria.

Geogaddi is an album I keep neglecting and I hate myself for doing so. The only other albums I've heard by Boards of Canada are Music Has The Right To Children and In A Beautiful Place Out in the Country, but it's so interesting to campare Geogaddi to them. It's a darker and, in my opinion, a tougher listen, but highly rewarding at the same time.

Going back to my favorite albums project, I revisited Virgins by Tim Hecker while studying for a Human Physiology exam and it got even better with age. It's like a collision of beauty and anxiety. I think I like it more than Ravedeath, 1972 now, but we'll see when the project is over.

Pop by Gas is an album I want to LOVE, but I only like. I want to be completely engulfed by my listen, but something about it prevents me from doing so. I really enjoyed Narkopop, though, and I hope his new album coming out this year will be just as good.

And I'm not even going to go into TPAB because I am not worthy.

With Pop, my guess is that unlike Narkopop as well as his records back in the 90's, Pop doesn't go through these dense and hazy soundscapes. Unless you want to count the last track. Hell at first I remember myself loving the first three songs due to how transcendental those songs are. Makes me feel invisible within this world. But I remember being somewhat bored with Pop 4 until I revisited the album again. And notice the deceptive but multilayered songs. That was the determining point for Pop getting the 100 from me. Also I'm surprised that Gas is coming out with another album this year.

Next, with Boards, I would also recommend The Campfire Headphase as well. Geogaddi is the duos magnum opus while my personal favorite from Boards is Campfire. Now with Tim Hecker, Virgins is only a smidge better to Harmony in Ultraviolet. Another album that I gave a 100. But Virgins is just otherworldly as well as just being reminding me of this forgotten society. However, this takes place 1000 years later. Also the last track on Virgins is jaw dropping.

Lastly, I need to buy Sweet Trip on CD as well. Going to look for that when I will be going to London during Memorial day weekend. Also I'm kinda curious why you feel not worthy for TPAB. Is it that there really isn't that much to say about out it or your just not crazy about it? Either option is perfectly fine.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 17:28
  • Post subject:
I'm about to depart on a 4 hour drive across the state, I'll start this month by streaming that Sweet Trip record along the way and come back with my thoughts.
  • Visit poster's website