Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2018 17:06
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Damn, noticing these two top tens as well as possible future, Caracal is getting slept on.

It's not that it's a bad album. I thought it was fine, but, to me, it's not even close to anything else in the group. I've spent too much time with most of the other albums, that it would be impossible for it to go above them.

BTW still waiting for your explanation on Bungle and Ween. They are the "one of these things is not like the others" of this group of albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2018 17:09
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
It's not that it's a bad album. I thought it was fine, but, to me, it's not even close to anything else in the group. I've spent too much time with most of the other albums, that it would be impossible for it to go above them.

BTW still waiting for your explanation on Bungle and Ween. They are the "one of these things is not like the others" of this group of albums.

Ok, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Also I did post why Ween and Mr.Bungle are in my list. It is post 39 on this forum I think.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2018 18:10
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Ok, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Also I did post why Ween and Mr.Bungle are in my list. It is post 39 on this forum I think.

Found it! must have glanced over it. Good reasoning. I'll be getting to see Ween in June. I'm pretty excited.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2018 18:56
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Luigii wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Found it! must have glanced over it. Good reasoning. I'll be getting to see Ween in June. I'm pretty excited.

That does happen from time to time. Also glad you got tickets to Ween. Hope you enjoy it.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2018 23:53
  • Post subject:
1. To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar 5/5
(listened prior)

Notes: I love this album. It's currently at #5 on my all-time list, and I think it's nearly perfect. I love how the poem slowly moves toward completion as it is repeated throughout the album. I love the rich sonic backdrops. Beyond the music itself, this is a culturally significant record as the album that best captures the ethos of the Black Lives Matter movement.

2. Velocity : Design : Comfort - Sweet Trip 4.5/5
(new discovery)

Notes: Thanks Luigii for this gift. An enticing blend of glitch pop, IDM, and shoegaze in which all three are near perfectly executed. For me the shoegaze parts are what make the album so good. The female vocals are especially excellent, and with its warm textures, this is a great album to get lost in. I can see it ending up on my chart with time.

3. The Age Of Adz - Sufjan Stevens 4/5
(new discovery)

Notes: I don't know how I hadn't listened to this before now. It is chock full of ideas in the best way, which is what I like most about good progressive pop. Unlike his other albums, which largely stay in one place sonically, we get to see several different landscapes, and they're all beautiful.

4. Medúlla - Björk 4/5
(new discovery)

Notes: Seriously underrated in Björk's discography. I had skipped it over due to the lack of acclaim. But I'm glad you turned me on to it, because this album's usage of voices as instruments is fantastic. Beatboxing, Inuit vocal games, and throat singing - it has it all.

5. Virgins - Tim Hecker 4/5
(new discovery)

Notes: My first time listening to a record by him and it is probably the most interesting ambient piece I've ever heard. While it flows smoothly, it also commands your attention and refuses to fade into the background. It creates a lovely atmosphere and I'm ready to delve into his discography more as a result.

6. Pop - Gas 4/5
(new discovery)

Notes: I had only heard his 2017 effort, and I like this one a lot more. Very inviting, warm ambient music with a good deal of depth to it in terms of sound design.

7. Geogaddi - Boards Of Canada 3.5/5
(listened prior)

Notes: My favorite thing I've listened to by BoC. Yes it is ominous, but once I got past that, I began to appreciate its intricacies. A master class in IDM.

8. Caracal - Disclosure 3.5/5
(new discovery)

Notes: Okay, I can agree that this is very underrated, especially on RYM. A 2.71 - seriously?? A pleasant album that finds its groove early on and stays in it, aided by strong vocals from an all-star supporting cast.

9. The Mollusk - Ween 3/5
(new discovery)

Notes: I've liked "Ocean Man" for a while, but was put off from listening to the whole thing until now due to the fact that it has a song called "Waving My Dick In The Wind." This record is certainly zany in a lot of good ways. I like the concept of integrating sea shanties and instrumentally there is some cool stuff going on here. However, the lyrics are too half-baked and sometimes crass for my taste, and the comedy rock elements fall flat.

10. California - Mr. Bungle 3/5
(new discovery)

Notes: Wow, this is all over the place instrumentally. A frenetic ride through lots of different genres, and there are a lot of good bits in here, but for me it ultimately feels too disjointed to be as satisfying as it could have been.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 00:11
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
1. To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar 5/5
(listened prior)

Notes: I love this album. It's currently at #5 on my all-time list, and I think it's nearly perfect. I love how the poem slowly moves toward completion as it is repeated throughout the album. I love the rich sonic backdrops. Beyond the music itself, this is a culturally significant record as the album that best captures the ethos of the Black Lives Matter movement.

2. Velocity : Design : Comfort - Sweet Trip 4.5/5
(new discovery)

Notes: Thanks Luigii for this gift. An enticing blend of glitch pop, IDM, and shoegaze in which all three are near perfectly executed. For me the shoegaze parts are what make the album so good. The female vocals are especially excellent, and with its warm textures, this is a great album to get lost in. I can see it ending up on my chart with time.

3. The Age Of Adz - Sufjan Stevens 4/5
(new discovery)

Notes: I don't know how I hadn't listened to this before now. It is chock full of ideas in the best way, which is what I like most about good progressive pop. Unlike his other albums, which largely stay in one place sonically, we get to see several different landscapes, and they're all beautiful.

4. Medúlla - Björk 4/5
(new discovery)

Notes: Seriously underrated in Björk's discography. I had skipped it over due to the lack of acclaim. But I'm glad you turned me on to it, because this album's usage of voices as instruments is fantastic. Beatboxing, Inuit vocal games, and throat singing - it has it all.

5. Virgins - Tim Hecker 4/5
(new discovery)

Notes: My first time listening to a record by him and it is probably the most interesting ambient piece I've ever heard. While it flows smoothly, it also commands your attention and refuses to fade into the background. It creates a lovely atmosphere and I'm ready to delve into his discography more as a result.

6. Pop - Gas 4/5
(new discovery)

Notes: I had only heard his 2017 effort, and I like this one a lot more. Very inviting, warm ambient music with a good deal of depth to it in terms of sound design.

7. Geogaddi - Boards Of Canada 3.5/5
(listened prior)

Notes: My favorite thing I've listened to by BoC. Yes it is ominous, but once I got past that, I began to appreciate its intricacies. A master class in IDM.

8. Caracal - Disclosure 3.5/5
(new discovery)

Notes: Okay, I can agree that this is very underrated, especially on RYM. A 2.71 - seriously?? A pleasant album that finds its groove early on and stays in it, aided by strong vocals from an all-star supporting cast.

9. The Mollusk - Ween 3/5
(new discovery)

Notes: I've liked "Ocean Man" for a while, but was put off from listening to the whole thing until now due to the fact that it has a song called "Waving My Dick In The Wind." This record is certainly zany in a lot of good ways. I like the concept of integrating sea shanties and instrumentally there is some cool stuff going on here. However, the lyrics are too half-baked and sometimes crass for my taste, and the comedy rock elements fall flat.

10. California - Mr. Bungle 3/5
(new discovery)

Notes: Wow, this is all over the place instrumentally. A frenetic ride through lots of different genres, and there are a lot of good bits in here, but for me it ultimately feels too disjointed to be as satisfying as it could have been.

Well for one I glad you see that Caracal was underrated. I have a feeling why that got rated that low. But I have always found that group review being total bullshit.Curious if you prefer Settle over Caracal or vice versa.

Next, even though you weren't crazy about California or The Mollusk, I am glad you tried them out. Who knows you may like them more as time goes on. Hell there might be other Ween records or Mr Bungle records you will probably like.

Lastly, I am glad you love Age of Adz, Velocity Design Comfort and Virgins. Also intrigued when you venture through Tim's other work. Let me know how you feel at some point.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 00:24
  • Post subject:
Oh also if you enjoy To Pimp A Butterfly listen to this.

Link

Another personal favorite from this decade.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 00:26
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Well for one I glad you see that Caracal was underrated. I have a feeling why that got rated that low. But I have always found that group review being total bullshit.Curious if you prefer Settle over Caracal or vice versa.

Next, even though you weren't crazy about California or The Mollusk, I am glad you tried them out. Who knows you may like them more as time goes on. Hell there might be other Ween records or Mr Bungle records you will probably like.

Lastly, I am glad you love Age of Adz, Velocity Design Comfort and Virgins. Also intrigued when you venture through Tim's other work. Let me know how you feel at some point.

After trying both I prefer Caracal slightly. Settle has higher highs, but there were a couple songs I didn't like. On Caracal there was at least something to like in every song, and the songs fit together better as an album.

I was waffling a lot between giving The Mollusk a 3 or a 3.5, and who knows, I may upgrade it when I revisit it.

And I can't promise I'll get to Tim Hecker's other albums soon, but I will let you know what I think when I hear them.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 00:33
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Luigii wrote:

After trying both I prefer Caracal slightly. Settle has higher highs, but there were a couple songs I didn't like. On Caracal there was at least something to like in every song, and the songs fit together better as an album.

I was waffling a lot between giving The Mollusk a 3 or a 3.5, and who knows, I may upgrade it when I revisit it.

And I can't promise I'll get to Tim Hecker's other albums soon, but I will let you know what I think when I hear them.

You picked the correct option on Caracal. Enjoyed Settle but can see that getting rated lower than what I have it at. Caracal is just an album I wasn't hyped for and then ended up like Yoshi's Island or Wario Land 4 or Mario Odyssey where I played them religiously. Also is my most played album to close to 1000 listens.

Also don't rush Tim Hecker. Believe in me. We are all in backlog hell.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/18/2018 00:33
  • Post subject:
So to give users a more broad selection, I have decided to post in albums on this forum in which I have given a 100.
To first start off, I will hit the lowest set of 100's with the 80's. Need to fine more albums that are just impressive from that decade. Though there haven't been any albums that I have given below an 80. But that will change over time. Here are the four album that I love completely from the 80's. In these four albums there is two new age records an Acapella record and a movie soundtrack. There is further connection to the past as well as the future to the dreamy and some what adventurous avantgarde electronic records coming from new age albums like Velocities of Love and Secrets. Medulla can be looked as a monolithic reinvention with Take 6. And the ost of One From The Heart reminds me that I have been slacking off on not only movie soundtracks but realistically slacking on video game soundtracks. Well that can change. Getting close to 5000 points which I can make custom charts. Next selection for the 100's will be the 70's.

• Visit poster's website