Get To Know A Top 10: April 2018 Thread - Luigii

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/22/2018 16:40
  • Post subject:
Haven't given that Disclosure album a spin, but wow does it stick out. All of the other albums really transport you somewhere with heavy flavours, textural stuff, huge atmospheres...

I wasn't too big on Disclosure's debut, and that received far better reviews than their follow-up, so I kinda gave up on them (perhaps too early?).

And Gowi, give the Gas record a listen. It's long, but it's quite something. Excellent 'loud background music'. Definitely stands out within his discography.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/22/2018 17:17
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
And Gowi, give the Gas record a listen. It's long, but it's quite something. Excellent 'loud background music'. Definitely stands out within his discography.

I’m actually listening to it right now as I'm cooking lunch.

EDIT: Second song in and I think I want to know more about Wolfgang Voigt.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2018 18:21
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Haven't given that Disclosure album a spin, but wow does it stick out. All of the other albums really transport you somewhere with heavy flavours, textural stuff, huge atmospheres...

I wasn't too big on Disclosure's debut, and that received far better reviews than their follow-up, so I kinda gave up on them (perhaps too early?).

As much as I do enjoy Settle, I just find Caracal way better. Then again, I listen to Caracal so many times in the past 2 and a half years when it came out and became a part of me and still is in my rotation. So do what you want. But I will put this out. I would say Settle was more instantaneous. Though on an album level, Caracal has way more stuff to it. I do want to repost my review when I mention this album back on my diary just to give some of the details. And I do mean some due to how there is other stuff I could have talked about.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2018 12:54
  • Post subject:
Still trying to get a handle on this chart. As others have mentioned, it definitely has a very distinct flavor. Even the "rock" albums such as Ween and Mr. Bungle. It's a very "outsider" chart besides kendrick. It's definitely NOT the first kind of chart that you would typically see a 22 year old make. I'm curious to see how your musical taste evolved and the factors that influenced it.

I think it would help if u gave us some background information such as ...

1. How did you first get into music?
2. What was the first band/artist and/or album single that made u fall in love with music.
3. Was there any seen you used to follow as a teenager?
4. Were your parents into music? Who were the main people that influenced your musical taste.
5. Where do u live? Where have u lived. What influence has where u have lived influenced your music taste.
6. What would u say has been your chief means of discovering & exploring music?
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2018 17:06
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Still trying to get a handle on this chart. As others have mentioned, it definitely has a very distinct flavor. Even the "rock" albums such as Ween and Mr. Bungle. It's a very "outsider" chart besides kendrick. It's definitely NOT the first kind of chart that you would typically see a 22 year old make. I'm curious to see how your musical taste evolved and the factors that influenced it.

I think it would help if u gave us some background information such as ...

1. How did you first get into music?
2. What was the first band/artist and/or album single that made u fall in love with music.
3. Was there any seen you used to follow as a teenager?
4. Were your parents into music? Who were the main people that influenced your musical taste.
5. Where do u live? Where have u lived. What influence has where u have lived influenced your music taste.
6. What would u say has been your chief means of discovering & exploring music?

Damn. This is such a good post. Let me see if I can answer all these questions.

1 I first got into music by the radio. And I remember as a young age, I really enjoyed a lot of the hit songs back in 1999. Going back into that year by You Tube videos and there were still some good hit songs.

2 The first band that made me really impressed about music and somewhat fascinated of music would be Outkast. I definitely remember watching Ms.Jackson back when MTV was still airing music videos. And I loved the song so much that when a new song is airing on MTV, my parents would call me in to hear the songs. That can be the connect to why I love To Pimp A Butterfly so much. Now the album that got me interested in an album sense was Emergency on Planet Earth by Jamiroquai in 2013. After that the album that solidify what I do now is Disclosure's Caracal. Love that album even when the consensus was somewhat ambivalent.

3 The scenes that I followed as a teen as I still do to this day would be synthwave, vaporwave and more downtempo electronic music that came from Sirius XM Chill back when I had Sirius. When I was becoming a teen back in the late 2000's I was enjoying a lot of funk music. Then again that was due to Goldmember. And I always found the sound and groove so entertaining to me.

4 My parents did enjoy music. Hell back in the 80's my dad was a DJ. However, after they had job's they had to take care of me and my siblings, they were more into music from the radio. Didn't go to view albums on there own time. And I could say they did influence me to what I listen to due to Sirius was introduced was the opportunity to view music from there decades they were kids or teens. But stuff like the video games I played or when I was able to be on the computer, I could listen to stuff I like. Hell video games made me understand electronic music. Also I did take classes in college to know about jazz and rock music back in the 60's and 70's.

5 Well, I don't want to say where I live. But, living in a suburban area, I wasn't really around music in a location sense. Even though the state I lived had famous artist's. And for the state, it is New Jersey. Then again, I didn't really go out that much. I usually stayed in my house.

6 Lastly, my main ways to view new music was with this site and You Tube.

Last edited by Luigii on 05/03/2018 02:31; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2018 17:45
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

Velocity : Design : Comfort by Sweet Trip

holy shit this fucking rules

where the hell was this and why is this new to me

Yea, I just got around to this one and I really like it

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2018 20:00
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Gowi wrote:

Yea, I just got around to this one and I really like it

Hell yeah.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/23/2018 20:02
  • Post subject:
I think I'll be adding it to my 2003 chart.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2018 20:08
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I think I'll be adding it to my 2003 chart.

The more points the album gets the more it gets know. Hell, I notice it was arourd 70 of 2003 and is nearing the top 50. We will see what happens over time.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2018 20:13
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

Funny, as I could have sworn you dropped it in Plug once. Christ knows who that must of been then.

I remember liking whatever the track whoever it was dropped then, then promptly running off to download the album, listening to it and it giving me a migraine. Never spun it since.

EDIT - It was "Chocolate Matter", which is absolutely beautiful.
  • Visit poster's website