What is your main way for ranking albums???

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What is your main method for rating an album?
Artistic achievement
18%
 18%  [6]
Overall significance or importance or influence
0%
 0%  [0]
How often you listen to it
0%
 0%  [0]
How much you enjoy it
53%
 53%  [17]
How many awesome tracks it has on it
9%
 9%  [3]
Other
18%
 18%  [6]
Total Votes : 32

bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 04:03
  • Post subject: What is your main way for ranking albums???
What is the main way that you judge and rank an album? Do you try to evaluate it's artistic achievement? Do you take into account how important or significant or influential the album was? Do u just pick the ones that you listen to most? The ones you enjoy the most? Or like me, do you just count up how many awesome tracks it has on it, and the more great tracks it has on it the higher you rank it?

Last edited by bobbyb5 on 04/01/2018 06:21; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 04:41
  • Post subject:
I chose other because I'll rate an album by an artist I've never heard before based on genre conventions and other similar artists, but if it's by an artist I know well (the hot topic Jack White album for example) I will use the aforementioned criteria as well as rating it against their past talents.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 05:47
  • Post subject:
poll and thread title are two different questions. for rating usually its impulsive and then with ranking I look at it and change it until it feels the least wrong
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 06:00
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
poll and thread title are two different questions. for rating usually its impulsive and then with ranking I look at it and change it until it feels the least wrong

True. I was just thinking of how you judge albums in general and not necessarily on this site
I think you're right though, most people will take it as two different things. So I'm just going to change it to ranking and not rating
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 06:58
  • Post subject:
If the question pertains to methodology: take notes, ALWAYS! Compare & contrast; how does one album/artist of a particular style, sound, genre relate to any similar act which established a comparable sound before it. Do they push the genre forward, or establish offshoots and growth of any measurable worth? Add or subtract points for originality, creativity and subjective enjoyment based upon evaluations of artists with similar style/sound that already forged the path(s) beforehand.
Ranking the linear evolution of musical expresson is an ongoing endeavor, which often requires back-reference and re-evaluation. Referring to notes; on paper and/or spreadsheets, (along wih repeat listening sessions when possible) is essential to the entire process, IMO.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/01/2018 08:24
  • Post subject:
I try to do it on pure enjoyment. The problem with this is my enjoyment of things changes so much that my charts/ratings quickly go out of date and I want to update them all the time. Also, enjoyment of an album can mean many different things and my idea about this changes all the time.

I try to filter out things like artistic merit, importance or reputation of artists and just focus on my own experience of the album. But that is quite hard to do.

In summary: my ratings, charts and opinions on this site are all bullshit Smile
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 10:24
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
I try to do it on pure enjoyment. The problem with this is my enjoyment of things changes so much that my charts/ratings quickly go out of date and I want to update them all the time. Also, enjoyment of an album can mean many different things and my idea about this changes all the time.

I try to filter out things like artistic merit, importance or reputation of artists and just focus on my own experience of the album. But that is quite hard to do.

In summary: my ratings, charts and opinions on this site are all bullshit Smile

Yeah, the bottom line it's probably that it's how much enjoyment and pleasure I get out of it that determines how highly I rank an album. I never let reputation factor into it. Just one look at my charts would tell anybody that. An artist's reputation is neither here nor there. Doesn't influence how much I enjoy an album. And it's good that you change your charts all the time. If you think something in your chart isn't placed where it should be, it's not really helpful to anyone to not change it. It's not doing anybody any good.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 11:05
  • Post subject:
NoisyBeast wrote:
If the question pertains to methodology: take notes, ALWAYS! Compare & contrast; how does one album/artist of a particular style, sound, genre relate to any similar act which established a comparable sound before it. Do they push the genre forward, or establish offshoots and growth of any measurable worth? Add or subtract points for originality, creativity and subjective enjoyment based upon evaluations of artists with similar style/sound that already forged the path(s) beforehand.
Ranking the linear evolution of musical expresson is an ongoing endeavor, which often requires back-reference and re-evaluation. Referring to notes; on paper and/or spreadsheets, (along wih repeat listening sessions when possible) is essential to the entire process, IMO.

Nice! You should share with us your notes by making a music diary. Wink

I do sth similar but it's all just in my head. An inner monologue. Lord knows I don't have time to actually document all those random jumbled thoughts, but what thoughts I do have I try to document here. I would love to read your similar notes especially since I've always marveled at how many different albums u can listen to . Would be really neat to get an inside look at these spreadsheets of yours.

Very Happy

Last edited by Repo on 04/01/2018 12:03; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 04/01/2018 11:18
  • Post subject:
There should be an option ''all of the above''
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 04/01/2018 12:23
  • Post subject:
My highest ranking albums are always those that are most personally significant to me, typically aligned with a significant life memory, issue or theme I was processing at the time. They have to be good, and have a significant number of good songs, and often have some kind of cohesion that make the whole greater than the sum of the parts, but I could care less if they are ground breaking or not, or if anyone likes them.
  • Visit poster's website