Why Not Make A Diary?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mtachi

• Posted: 04/02/2018 21:51
  • Post subject: Why Not Make A Diary?
I'm going through a phase at the moment where I really want to experience as much different music as possible and expand my horizons. I started this year trying to at least listen a little to each album that is released each weak, but I found I was also listening to a lot of rubbish that way. Laughing So I was thinking I'll keep a diary on here of the albums that I'm listening to, my comments on them, what kind of feeling it's giving me etc. I hope to update this diary somewhat regularly, although admittedly it probably won't be as regularly updated as some of the others on here. I guess in a way it's more for my own posterity but it's also nice to share music and what you think!
  • Visit poster's website
mtachi

• Posted: 04/02/2018 22:21
  • Post subject: Monday 2nd April

Little Dark Age by MGMT

She Works Out Too Much - Hmm, didn't really like this one that much. I've never really listened to MGMT before, and, to be honest, this opening track isn't filling me with confidence. I find it to be a little boring and also quite bland.
Little Dark Age - Yeah, this went on a bit too long I think. It's only 5 minutes so there are definitely much longer songs out there, but this one was a little bit monotonous for me.
When You Die - Actually, this one is pleasant enough. It didn't really grab me, and I found myself washing out a couple of times, but when I refocused on the track, I quite enjoyed it.
Me and Michael - I quite like this. It sounds really 80s throwback to me, and I can picture listening to it in some tiny town disco or something Laughing Really digging the vibe.
TSLAMP - I found this to be a slightly weaker Me and Michael, which is a shame. Maybe I was still feeling the vibes from that and this was underwhelming in comparison...
James - This is a pretty chill track, one that I quite liked. I would give it a similar review to When You Die, in that it's really pleasant to listen to, but doesn't grab you fully.
Days That Got Away - Boring, and overlong. I'm starting to realise that maybe this album isn't really for me... I'm going to stick with it though.
One Thing Left To Try - This one was okay. Not my cup of tea but can see why people would like this track.
When You're Small - This one seems pretty cool. Kinda threatening in its tone I think.
Hand It Over - A pretty chill closer to the album. I like this track. Maybe my second favourite on the album?

Overall, I think it's clear that this album wasn't one that I felt I could really get into. This is the second time I've tried to sit down with it, and while it did open up to me a little more - Me and Michael and Hand It Over have warmed on me - I think I'm still hitting a bit of a wall with this one.
  • Visit poster's website
mtachi

• Posted: 04/03/2018 10:23
  • Post subject: Tuesday 3rd April

Twin Fantasy (Face To Face) by Car Seat Headrest

I found this album once before just when it was released, and didn't get on massively well with it, but it could be that I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to listen to it. So, I'm gonna give it another go.

My Boy (Twin Fantasy) - I really, really dig this. I remember from the first time I listened to the album really liking this track. I think it builds really well, and it has a dynamism to it that propels you towards the end.
Beach Life-In-Death - Seeing the length of this song made me quite nervous. I don't really listen to that many super long songs like this (or at least what I would consider super long Laughing ) And although I felt at times that I wish it was cut in half, I enjoyed a lot of the song. I just wish it was two tracks instead of the one, as I feel it would make it more digestible.
Stop Smoking (We Love You) - From a really long track, to a really short one, Stop Smoking is a nice palette cleanser. I enjoyed it for what it was.
Sober To Death - I like the change of pace this offers from Stop Smoking and the previous tracks. It feels a little bit different to the others, which grabbed my attention. Very listenable.
Nervous Young Inhumans - Hmm, this one blended a little bit into the previous track for me. I'll have to listen again at a later date to try and separate it from Sober To Death in my mind.
Bodys - Love this one. Funny, great music, and the perfect length, even though it's pushing 7 minutes! Definitely one of my highlights from the album.
Cute Thing - Not my favourite. Find this to be a little droning. This is maybe the first one that I've disliked.
High to Death - This was a bit more of a chill track, kind of washes over you. I liked it though.
Famous Prophets (Stars) - This one hangs in the air a little bit. I feel like maybe the first half of this album is more exciting and we're getting into a more solemn, heavy half of the album based on the last few songs. Also, this song is really long. Like, really long. I am gonna have 'the ocean washed over your brain' in my head for a while though. The second half of the song is more my speed I think.
Twin Fantasy (Those Boys) - This was a pretty nice end to the album. As the title suggests, it feels like the counter-piece to My Boy (Twin Fantasy). I liked it.

Overall, I liked this album quite a lot. The standout tracks for me are definitely in the first half of the album - but I generally liked most of it. I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2018 20:26
  • Post subject:
I like how you comment on each track as you listen to it. It makes me want to listen to it too. I haven't listened to MGMT yet, but now I'm going to.
  • Visit poster's website
mtachi

• Posted: 04/06/2018 12:13
  • Post subject:
Yeah, it makes a really easy way for me to break down the album and I guess give my overall impressions. It also makes me concentrate more on the music I'm listening to if I know I'm going to comment on each one.
  • Visit poster's website
mtachi

• Posted: 04/06/2018 12:56
  • Post subject: Friday 6th April

Debut by Björk

The only previous album I've listened to by Björk was Biophilia, which I didn't really get on that well with, but I grew up listening to It's Oh So Quiet a lot. I figured maybe if I started at the beginning, I would get a better feel for where Björk comes from with her work.

Human Behaviour - Really like this one. I'm gonna add it to my playlist, so I've got to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this beginning to the album. I wonder if this is representative of the album as whole? It's somewhat rockier than I expected.
Crying - Yeah, not such a big fan of this one. It wasn't off-putting as much as I just found it a little boring. Not too much going on here that interested me.
Venus As a Boy - This is another one I really liked. There are all sorts of musical influences here - it sounds somewhat Arabic at some points in it's instrumentation. Really good listen.
There Is More to Life Than This - Yeah, this one was a no from me. Found it to be an attempt and throwing you into the party, when I never wanted to go there in the first place. Shocked
Like Someone In Love - I'm digging the vibe on this one. It's a really sincere song, and it has stood out from the other tracks around it.
Big Time Sensuality - One of the dancier tracks on the album, and maybe my favourite of that vibe so far. Much more to my taste than Crying and There Is More to Life Than This.
One Day - Not my favourite, but don't really have anything to say about this one.
Aeroplane - This one also kind of washed over me. Not much to write home about I think.
Come To Me - A bit too slow. In an unnatural sense, almost as if it's been stretched out.
Violently Happy - This one is kinda keeping the dance music going. I think I prefer Björk's voice with more rocky instrumentation, but the rhythm is pretty decent in this one.
The Anchor Song - I quite like this one. It's slower, as with Come To Me, but I feel like it suits this song more. I really like the horns as well.
Play Dead - This one started off and I thought I was going to like it, but it kinda got a bit samey. Decent, but not great. Brick wall

Overall, there were some highlights on this album, but Human Behaviour was the only song that I really loved. The others kind of floated around in the middle - not bad, but not really good either.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/11/2018 04:15
  • Post subject:
So you prefer computer generated garbage over Female genius?
  • Visit poster's website
mtachi

• Posted: 04/11/2018 15:42
  • Post subject:
Rolling Eyes I wouldn't really say I prefer computer generated garbage... But I'm gonna keep going with Björk, I'll probably listen to Post sometime soon.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/11/2018 16:21
  • Post subject:
Yeah! It's true art... Listen again. Even I have trouble getting into her later stuff, which is amazing but dense...
  • Visit poster's website
mtachi

• Posted: 04/11/2018 16:49
  • Post subject: Wednesday 11th April

Lost In The Dream by The War On Drugs

Now, I listened to a bit of A Deeper Understanding when it came out, but I've never listened to Lost in the Dream, so I thought why not give it a go?

Under The Pressure - Wow, this sounds really similar to the songs from A Deeper Understanding. I didn't expect it to sound quite so much alike. I like it a lot though. But why is the outro so long?
Red Eyes - I'm here for this. I like how it has a little more edge to it. Definitely going in my playlist.
Suffering - So much of a chill vibe being given from this one. The lyrics are quite nice as well. Seems like it might be a bit more gentle than anything on A Deeper Understanding, but these albums are definitely very similar.
An Ocean In Between The Waves - I love the instruments in this one. The whole song has a really good groove to it. I don't know if it's just because of the title, but I really do get the feeling of waves rolling over me. Applause
Disappearing - This one is nice enough, feels a little like it washes over you.
Eyes To The Wind - Maybe a little bit like An Ocean In Between The Waves? I'm getting a similar vibe from them. A little bit rockier than the previous track. A nice listen.
The Haunting Idle - This feels like a bit of an interlude. It's a really nice track, quite different from the others. It leads nicely into the next one.
Burning - Love the music on this one. This is one of my favourite tracks on the album, hands down. Different enough to the others so that it stands out, but it's still very much of their ilk, which makes for a really good listening experience.
Lost In The Dream - Hmm after Burning, this is more of a return to form. It's nice enough, but I'm not sure if I'd rate it that highly.
In Reverse - There's a moment in this song, about a minute in where a guitar starts playing in the background, and it really grabbed my attention. This is a pretty interesting song, quite pleasant.

Overall, Red Eyes, An Ocean In Between The Waves and Burning are my favourites from this album, but I'd rate the whole thing pretty well. I feel like my favourites might switch as I listen to this more.
  • Visit poster's website