Are You Ever Happy With Your Chart?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Are You Ever Happy With Your Chart?
Yes, Currently
22%
 22%  [8]
Not Currently, But I Have Been In The Past
20%
 20%  [7]
No, Never
57%
 57%  [20]
Total Votes : 35

Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 12:50
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
LordMark wrote:

I'm constantly trying to do a "1 album per artist" chart

A recipe to never be happy with your chart. Your chart is now immediately a false representation of what you deem to be the top 100 albums.

Personally only including 1 Kanye album or 1 Pink Floyd album would make me very unhappy, because my chart is a lie. Of course some artists are going to have more than one album in the "top 100 greatest albums", that's a given.

my chart could be 10% autechre albums and that would be honest in a way but also a lie because I listen to a lot more music than just autechre. autechre are really great though, I say that a lot but also I don't say it enough
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 13:37
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
travelful wrote:
LordMark wrote:

A recipe to never be happy with your chart. Your chart is now immediately a false representation of what you deem to be the top 100 albums.

Personally only including 1 Kanye album or 1 Pink Floyd album would make me very unhappy, because my chart is a lie. Of course some artists are going to have more than one album in the "top 100 greatest albums", that's a given.

my chart could be 10% autechre albums and that would be honest in a way but also a lie because I listen to a lot more music than just autechre. autechre are really great though, I say that a lot but also I don't say it enough

Well it wouldn't really be false if you believe Autchre has 10 albums out of what you deem the best 100 to be. Not everything you listen to and enjoy has to be represented in your top 100.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/14/2018 13:46
  • Post subject:
I've learned to never be happy with my chart. I understand it's incorrect. I simply enjoy the albums that are on it and hope you do too.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/14/2018 14:19
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
LordMark wrote:

Agreed. I think that you have to post your favs irrespective of how many albums one artist might have in your chart. Anyone with reasonably wide musical taste will have a really decent chart. Go with what you love.
  • Visit poster's website
NoisyBeast
Lefty

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 14:50
  • Post subject:
Johnnyo wrote:
You definitely need a system. I started with a spreadsheet when I 1st joined bea in 2011. Simple, straightforward. Seven years down the line the thing has become a monster. Different tabs for each year, decade, custom charts. It’s become an industry all of its own but I have to say I enjoy it so........

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!! Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/14/2018 16:26
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
What's your system? Track-based? Ratings-based? A more complicated formula?

It’s about my gut feeling about an album also. I wouldn’t for example, add up all of the tracks rating, get an average and the highest average is my favourite album. An album is a feeling that you get across all of the tracks. My fav album of all time is
Darkness On The Edge Of Town by Bruce Springsteen

Some wonderful tracks but the album works as a whole. It’s perfect.
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 04/14/2018 16:31
  • Post subject:
I like my chart, I'm actually proud |I made something like my chart in a scoring system, it's something I would save from a burning building
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 17:20
  • Post subject:
This question is great. It's great because it's a simple question with many complicated answers.

For me I generally agree with what some users are saying in that, no I'll never really be happy with with but they are just albums I like.

We have to view our musical taste as nothing short of an ever-evolving entity just like music itself. The chart is there for us to share memories of the past, trends of the present, and a glimpse at the future. I will always love and be satisfied with parts of my chart because, for example, Songs in the Key of Life, Master of Puppets, Born To Run, Abbey Road, and A Love Supreme will always be way high up on my chart because of the memories surrounding them and simply how fuckin perfect I think they are. However, although I feel the same about Foxtrot, Permanent Waves, To Pimp A Butterfly, and Wasting Light, it's a pain for me to exclude one or more from my top 10. They all deserve to be there for different reasons, musically and personally. That's the bittersweet nature of my chart.

Then you get past the top 30 and it's much more bitter than sweet. It's where I'll always be rearranging, second guessing, and adding to until death do us part.

I guess I'm always and never happy with my chart simultaneously. Laughing Laughing Brick wall Brick wall
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 17:35
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
I like my chart, I'm actually proud |I made something like my chart in a scoring system, it's something I would save from a burning building

Cool. I like your chart too. What is your scoring system?
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 21:36
  • Post subject:
LordMark wrote:
I'm constantly trying to do a "1 album per artist" chart, but it just doesn't work out. However, when I ignore the "1 album per artist" rule, I feel like my chart has absolutely no diversity.

Having a 2-album per artist limit works for me. Strikes a balance between accuracy and diversity.

AAL2014 wrote:
I guess I'm always and never happy with my chart simultaneously. Laughing Laughing Brick wall Brick wall

Same here. Which is why I'm not voting in the poll!

Antonio-Pedro wrote:
I like my chart, I'm actually proud I made something like my chart in a scoring system, it's something I would save from a burning building

Good thing it's preserved on a website! You could save some expensive vinyl or CDs instead.
  • Visit poster's website