BETH Round 1 - (...Laptop Cafe) vs Secret Tapes...Dr Eich)

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Listen First, Vote Second
Lifestyles Of The Laptop Cafe
33%
 33%  [2]
The Secret Tapes Of Dr Eich
66%
 66%  [4]
Total Votes : 6

Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/12/2018 08:47
  • Post subject: BETH Round 1 - (...Laptop Cafe) vs Secret Tapes...Dr Eich)
Best Ever House & Techno Album Round 1:

Lifestyles Of The Laptop Café by The O...ople Place

Nominated by Tap

Discogs dude wrote:
this is one of the best works from stinson, definitely. such a timeless, warm, classic album.

VS.

The Secret Tapes Of Dr. Eich by Paperclip People

Nominated by Jimmy Dread

Jimmy wrote:
Still love it to bits 20 years since it came out. Carl Craig's most consistent record, a landmark in the second wave of Detroit techno, banger after banger after banger...

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE. PLEASE LISTEN TO BOTH ALBUMS BEFORE VOTING

Last edited by Jimmy Dread on 01/13/2019 14:30; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/12/2018 21:13
  • Post subject:
this one is tough, I'm leaning towards The Other People Place because I've spent a lot of time with it and love it of course, but I'm going to spend some time with Paperclip People this week and really give it more consideration because it's a great album too.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/15/2018 19:14
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
this one is tough, I'm leaning towards The Other People Place because I've spent a lot of time with it and love it of course, but I'm going to spend some time with Paperclip People this week and really give it more consideration because it's a great album too.

I'd given LOTLC a cursory listen previously (in fact when I noticed Warp had repressed it) and it just didn't click. Just given it another spin and there's something about it which I just can't get into - it's like it's stuck between the dancefloor and a bedsit and can't work out where it'd rather be. It's not a bad record by any means, but it's up against one of my all-time favourites which, if there was any justice in the world, would be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Homework and the Trax On Da Rocks EPs if more people had cottoned on when it first came out.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2018 06:43
  • Post subject:
yeah I guess my vote comes down to dancing.

I love LOTLC and it was really significant for me to be hearing it in 2001 when I was getting very enthusiastic about IDM and listening to everything Warp put out. I was like "fuck all this stuff with drums that stay the same pitch, this stuff where the drums actually carry significant pitch information is the shit" and I was half right because it was a really incredible time for that sort of thing, but then Warp throws this at me. And it really helped me appreciate that you can do a lot with stable pitched drums and playing with a more simple structure. I think it helped me see how listening with your body, dividing time with movement, opens up something different than going stationary and putting all of your listening in your head. Though yeah I'd say the album does have a 'dancing underwater on cough syrup' sort of vibe, especially in the beginning though I think the middle has some stuff that could be functional. But yeah, it's not really a body dancing sort of album, although I do like moving with it, walking etc. Though I can also go for full head listening with it and put it on before bed.

The Paperclip People album is one I found out about a while ago on here, I think dbz gave it to me in that post an album for the person above you thread, and it's an album that I think has to have some sort of movement going on to make sense. Like yeah there's really interesting stuff going on in the changes in the layers of drums, honestly this would be an excellent example of why the I part of the IDM genre is genuinely ignorant because this stuff is not simple, it's some really active stuff. I guess someone could sit down with it, but it seems like it'd need an active effort to not tap toes or bob head or do something to get a physical connection going. I have more affection for LOTLC because of the time I've spent with it and where it sits in time for me, but this Paperclip People album seems just as exceptionally well executed and the clearer connection to movement makes it feel more in the spirit of this whole thing. Sad to see that we'll have no Drexciya representation past this round, but Paperclip People deserves to go farther here.

edit: for fun I dug up my old post from 2015 in response to the recommendation

Quote:
Oh hey hadn't heard this one before, I don't know enough of Carl Craig's stuff. This is really great, really well balanced in keeping the sound away from being too overwhelming, but full of enough sounds to keep interest, while also keeping the level of consistency needed for functionality while also keeping the structure moving. I'm no expert on this exact style but this really seems like one of the better ones. So much good bassline action, really digging Clear & Present.

2015 me is right about that song but also didn't know there's a 14 minute version (!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC8w7ok-YWk

also while I'm linking, everyone should check out this single from Other People Place that was repressed semi recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx-8m_a6fHg
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2018 15:18
  • Post subject:
I downloaded this about 10 years ago when I was trying to listen to everything by Carl Craig, but I never did listen to it and now it's gone. That computer is long gone. I'm going to have to listen to that one first.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/20/2018 05:57
  • Post subject:
Poll closes Monday
  • Visit poster's website