2017 for music...4 months later

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Pronouns

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 07:24
  • Post subject: 2017 for music...4 months later
It's been 4 months since we saw the end of 2017. We could debate about politics and such but what really stood out to me,was the music and it got me wondering....how has 2017 sat with me in just a few months?

What are your current thoughts of the music of 2017? Good? Bad?
Personally I think 2017 wasn't just a great year. I think its already on par with some of the greats! There really wasn't too much to dislike and even the "bad" stuff was still fun to listen to...albiet not because it was good but......memes are fun. *cough cough Lil rappers cough cough Corey Feldman CACK Some of my favorite releases were Crack Up, Melodrama, SATURATION Trilogy, Sweet John's Dear, Battery Point's Star, Planetarium, Slowdive just to name a few. There are just so many records I keep coming back to like....where do I begin? I can't speak for you though so I'm curious as to what you might say. Think
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 07:48
  • Post subject:
2016 was an all time great for me, and I felt like 2017 kept up that energy but didn't quite match it. still had a blast tho and had so many albums I'm holding on to, I got tired of doing data entry so didn't keep up my chart for most of the year but I've been filling it in lately and got the top 40 set, and I think all of those albums are really great. it's a high number for me to have found in a year at that level, and then there were still a bunch more that I found very compelling, many of which I still need to add. but yeah, 2017 was great for the music I'm into.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 08:03
  • Post subject:
biggest surprise for me: this isnt on any other charts

...Because Im Young Arrogant And Hate E...chine Girl
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 09:26
  • Post subject:
I can't sleep so here are some charts about my most listened albums of 2017. There will be a line, left to right indicates time, starting from when I first heard the album to when I most recently listened to the album. The height is determined by the days between listens. If the line is low, that means I am listening to the album frequently, if it is high that means there is a lot of days between listens. Also keep in mind these charts won't be directly comparable, the max height will be determined by the most numbers of days between listens, the numbers on the right will tell you the scale there.

My most listened to release was Kara-Lis Coverdale - Grafts, which I listened to 20 times in 2017 and twice in 2018

So as you can see I really heavily consumed it early on, and then it got a lot more spaced out but I kept checking in with it over the year, and then at the end of the year as I was thinking about everything I came to realize that it was really something special (which I'm still probably underrating because it is only around 20 minutes long) and got into more frequent listens, which bled into january 1st of this year, and then I checked in with it again recently and it is still wonderful.

Here's Visible Cloaks - Reassemblage with a much more steady chart, 19 listens in 2017 and none so far this year

So with this again we get the very heavy consumption right away, and then it gets more and more spaced out. I am due for another listen for sure, but it's at a place where I feel like I've really absorbed it and only need to check in occasionally. I still think incredibly highly of this one.

And then finally here's Jaap Vink - Jaap Vink, 19 listens in 2017 and 1 in 2018

This one has a bit of an odd course to it, it generally follows the drifting out trend of less and less frequent listens after a heavy initial consumption period, but there would be these times where I'd hear it and then a few days later I'd be like "hey remember how amazing that Jaap Vink album is" and then I'd be like "yeah I should put it on again" and I would.

So my point in all of these charts is that a main trend for me would be the heavy initial consumption period when albums came out, like that would be their main moment where they took over my life, and then they would drift out to make room for new obsessions while still not drifting far away from my thoughts. I feel like I actually kept a good balance with that, and ended up with 62 albums getting 7 or more listens thru the year (51 of which were new to me, and 41 of which were released in 2017), which I think is a really solid number of albums to have given that much attention to. I think this listening pattern played a big role in getting as much lasting enjoyment out of 2017 music as I did, because it was dense enough for things to make a lasting impression, but diffuse enough to allow for a lot of things to get in.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/17/2018 21:55
  • Post subject:
I'm not as knowledgeable about new music as tap, but according to my charts all the years since 2015 have witnessed a push in albums entered into my decades charts like never before in history. We are headed great places folks...
  • Visit poster's website
Onater

Canada

• Posted: 04/17/2018 22:18
  • Post subject:
In my opinion, 2017 was the weakest year for releases since all the way back to 1958. I know that this sounds like an exaggeration, but, when looking at my year charts, there is always at least one, and usually many more, albums that blow my mind from each year. In 2017 there was just nothing. Paradoxically, that led to me listening to more albums from 2017 than any other year in desperation to find something that I could call my AOTY (so don't think that my 2017 chart is disproportionately large compared to my other year charts since it's my favourite - it's quite the opposite). I eventual settled on The OOZ as my AOTY, even though it's not even all that great of an album, because at least it's unique. If 2018 were to end right now, taking into account only the releases from the first third of the year, I think it would still be significantly better than 2017.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/17/2018 22:23
  • Post subject:
try slowing down and really understanding the music...
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 22:44
  • Post subject:
I dunno, I'd say it's fair to not have your interests met with a year's offerings. my enthusiasm for the year is because there was a lot going on in areas I was interested in, but there's a lot of different things to be interested in. and there's no way all those areas can be firing full blast all the time, so it seems inevitable that some people's tastes won't be met sometimes. so yeah it seems fair to consider the year to be weak for what you're interested, tho I don't think you should ever close the book on it because tastes can evolve and new things can get uncovered.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/17/2018 23:18
  • Post subject:
Hmm... I guess if u really want Peter Paul and Mary, maybe this year will come short. (Maybe u could listen to Ed Sheeran?)
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/17/2018 23:33
  • Post subject:
any thoughts?
  • Visit poster's website