Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/17/2018 16:54
  • Post subject: MBGA: Discuss the Yearly Chart Above You
Overview

Otherwise known as the crazy ramblings of Gowi – or “Make BEA Great Again”.

Alright, so once upon a time the BEA Community on the message board end of things was a lot more active, intimate, and communicative. I was looking at charts (not just mine) this morning and realized we kind of peaked at around 2014 in terms of communal activities in each other’s charts. This game comes from the simple prospect of getting us to rate, review, comment, and exchange yearly charts by our community members. It’s really that simple.

“But Gowi, what if I haven’t heard every album on the list?”

Well, I guess you don’t have to rate it! Back in the more active years of the community, we didn’t always rate such charts immediately but we did exchange recommendations, comment on the lists and so forth. It made us feel more like a group who cared about every little cog in the machine so to speak. At least, I think so. But hey, I might just have too much coffee inside of my gut right now and while it’s trying to kill me I’m going insane. But good insane. At the end of it, I just really want a glimpse of the community we once had. We might not bicker as much as we used to (and boy did we bicker) but we are certainly less involved. So how about we get re-involved? It'll be fun. Promise.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=43402

If this idea is dumb you can ignore my dumb old man self and carry on as this falls to the BOTTOM to never be seen again. But hey I made it. I'm trying. Like a busy bee.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 18:21
  • Post subject:
I’ve heard 3 or 4 of these. I’ve been slacking on 2018 albums. Sad

But now I am listening to that Anna Burch album at #1, and it’s great so far. Love the poppy sunshine of it, and the melodies are so sweet and kinda, idk, angular. Only 3 songs in but already loving this.

Also new Kacey is really solid. Also love that MGMT album from earlier this year.

Also to add a bit more not mentioned in your chart, I am even further in this album and still really like it (speaking of “Quit The Curse” still.)

My interest is piqued by the US Girls album which I’ve heard great things about, also the new Rhye and Lucy Dacus. Will try getting on those sometime soon.

If anyone wants I suppose they can look at this year chart, well I will be updating my 2018 soon. As of now I think it may have zero albums in it. Sad otherwise I’ve put a lot of updates and work into 1969 the last few months. But not sure if old years are the intended purpose of this thread.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 18:50
  • Post subject:
Okay, made a small 18 chart and updated 1969 chart yet again.
Top 100 Music Albums of 1969 by Mercury

Top 18 Music Albums of 2018 by Mercury

No album has yet become a r al favorite in 18 yet. But that Anna Butch album actually may be my fave yet! So thanks Gowi! And now I’m listening to Historian which is pretty solid as well.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 04/18/2018 14:55
  • Post subject:
Good talk

• Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/18/2018 15:22
  • Post subject:
Boy, I ain’t in my mid-twenties anymore and can be on BEA every waking moment – especially when I need to post a genuine reply and not just shitpost.

I see we’ve had a few updates since I started this thread and saw you replied. Though I see there is an soundtrack on your list, not exactly something I would do myself, but my views on compilations on year end lists is pretty common knowledge at this point. I will say that I am really quite happy to see some of these and bewildered I’ve missed some of these (aka I didn’t know some of these even existed). Beyond that here are some of my thoughts:

You really ended up liking the new Kacey Musgraves, which doesn’t surprise me all too much. It’s one of my favorites this year as well but I really found myself coming to the conclusion that it is probably her weakest album yet – especially when it comes to the writing of the lyrical side of things. The lushness and airy sort of atmosphere does help it. Probably makes it stand out since I’ve seen a lot of people curious about more atmospheric country albums.

I love Wye Oak. Didn’t know they had a new one out. So that’s good news for me. Bad news for my listening log since I have so much things in the damn queue.

I didn’t like “POST-“ as much as I thought I would. Which is weird since I thought Rosenstock’s previous album was a keeper. I’m not sure why the album doesn’t work as well for me, but I’ve seen it around on a lot of charts. I just wish I liked it just a little bit more so I could justify making my yearly list.

I really don’t get Car Seat Headrest. Nor do I understand people praising an album they’ve already released like it is a new record.

I really really wanted to like the new First Aid Kit, but I feel it lacks what has drawn me to them the last few records. The songwriting has turned simplistic, almost contemporary and the album really suffers due to this. The songs just aren’t good enough to justify relistening to me and I don’t think I really thought even one of the songs stood out. For a band that wrote “Emmylou” this is a sad turn for me as a listener.

Overall, I’d like to say it’s a solid list given we are only in April and I’m curious how the list fills out by the end of Summer. Looking forward to seeing how I think about the records (Boarding House Reach, Freedom's Goblin, Now Only, The Louder I Call The Faster It Runs, and I Need To Start A Garden) I need to get around to will connect with me.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/18/2018 21:06
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

Coming in, I only know half of what's in your top 10 (4, 6, 7, 9, 10), but I love all of them. In A Silent Way is in my view, Miles' greatest masterpiece (at least out of what I've heard so far). Both he and John McLaughlin are out of this world on that record. Songs From A Room is for me a close second to Cohen's debut, which says a lot, because it's currently my #3 all-time. Townes Van Zandt and Clouds are both quite good and quite underrated in terms of rank on this website. The Band is almost top 250, so I can't say it's underrated, but I will say that "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is a beautiful song that caused this Northerner to have a lot more empathy for Southerners who weren't part of the slave-owning class.

Needed something to put on after coming home from work/class, so I'm listening to The Gilded Palace Of Sin now for the first time and so far so good. I don't know why it's taken me this long to get to it, seeing as it's a Gram Parsons project and I always like those.

Later on in your chart, I appreciate Nashville Skyline being so high, and there are a lot of recs to discover in the future!

As I mentioned in the recent 2017 thread, I'm feeling pretty decent about my 2017 chart, so I'll leave that here:

Top 100 Music Albums of 2017 by baystateoftheart
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 13:17
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

As I mentioned in the recent 2017 thread, I'm feeling pretty decent about my 2017 chart, so I'll leave that here:

Just listened to your #1...

Antisocialites by Alvvays

Which reminds me A LOT of Best Coast. Especially the vocals. Only hearing it for the first time but I remember liking their debut back in 2014 which I think had a distinctly more twee sound but it's been awhile.

Most of your 2017 top 20 I don't know. A lot not of hip hop. Which is the Most MELLOW of these? I'll check it out tomorrow.

Mostly your chart informs me that I'M OUT OF IT. lol. Peace, brother.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 13:23
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

Drake's Five Leaves Left in the 30s?

The Velvet Underground's self-titled not appearing until the 40s?

What's the hell's going on here, Merc? Wink
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 18:53
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:

Which reminds me A LOT of Best Coast. Especially the vocals. Only hearing it for the first time but I remember liking their debut back in 2014 which I think had a distinctly more twee sound but it's been awhile.

Most of your 2017 top 20 I don't know. A lot not of hip hop. Which is the Most MELLOW of these? I'll check it out tomorrow.

I can see the comparison. Does that mean you liked it? This new one is pretty great, but I significantly prefer their debut and its twee-er sound. That one also had catchier singles.

Not sure if you're asking for the most mellow hip-hop album in my top 20 (it's probably Brick Body Kids Still Daydream) or the most mellow album period (maybe Slowdive? maybe Crack-Up? don't know).

Remember to leave a year chart of your own when you drop back in to keep this thread rolling Smile
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 19:10
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Tilly wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:

I can see the comparison. Does that mean you liked it? This new one is pretty great, but I significantly prefer their debut and its twee-er sound. That one also had catchier singles.

Not sure if you're asking for the most mellow hip-hop album in my top 20 (it's probably Brick Body Kids Still Daydream) or the most mellow album period (maybe Slowdive? maybe Crack-Up? don't know).

Remember to leave a year chart of your own when you drop back in to keep this thread rolling Smile

Most mellow hip hop album. Throw me a couple of others too since your chart is dominated by it.

Let's see. Currently working on this chart...

Tilly's Take On 1992

... and I'm pretty happy with it thus far. Already having hard time deleting albums from it. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website