View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2018 23:33
  • Post subject:
For Stover75

Reminder of the rules:
1. I review one album from your chart I wasn't familiar with.
2. I suggest an album from 2017 you don't have which I like and think you may like.
3. I post one of my own year charts.

15 albums in common for your 2017 list. Some stuff that doesn't match my taste and some stuff not on my chart I'd like to check out more. Happy to see Vulfpeck make it.

I have never heard of this group, so checked them out:

Truth Is A Beautiful Thing by London Grammar

Was blown away by her vocals. The music was near ambient - very fluid between her vocals and the instrumentation. For me the lyrics weren't important, but the fluidity between the vocals and the instrumentation. Pretty good experience overall, but somehow it was more like zen music (great in the moment, but nothing to hold to in the end... for now). Approached a trip hop feel I liked. I'm still listening to it 5 songs in and probably deserves a second listen. However, 5 songs in, and I'm losing my interest... maybe it'll grow on me. Sometimes growers are the best ones. The ending of Hell to the Liars is pretty epic.

The album I'd recommend since your 2017 list leans a bit pop, is Beck's effort in the pop realm, Colors, if you haven't already. My review was Coldplay turns pop and I lose interest, Beck turns pop and my head explodes, hehe. If you've already heard that, then I suggest, Memories Are Now by Jesca Hoop.

Top 65 Music Albums of 1969 by sethmadsen
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/30/2018 23:42
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
For Stover75

Reminder of the rules:
2. I suggest an album from 2017 you don't have which I like and think you may like.

15 albums in common for your 2017 list. Some stuff that doesn't match my taste and some stuff not on my chart I'd like to check out more. Happy to see Vulfpeck make it.

I have never heard of this group, so checked them out:

Truth Is A Beautiful Thing by London Grammar

Was blown away by her vocals. The music was near ambient - very fluid between her vocals and the instrumentation. For me the lyrics weren't important, but the fluidity between the vocals and the instrumentation. Pretty good experience overall, but somehow it was more like zen music (great in the moment, but nothing to hold to in the end... for now). Approached a trip hop feel I liked. I'm still listening to it 5 songs in and probably deserves a second listen. However, 5 songs in, and I'm losing my interest... maybe it'll grow on me. Sometimes growers are the best ones. The ending of Hell to the Liars is pretty epic.

The album I'd recommend since your 2017 list leans a bit pop, is Beck's effort in the pop realm, Colors, if you haven't already. My review was Coldplay turns pop and I lose interest, Beck turns pop and my head explodes, hehe. If you've already heard that, then I suggest, Memories Are Now by Jesca Hoop.

It was you who recommended Vulfpeck to me so good call.

I have some free time so gonna listen to the Beck album now. I normally find him a bit hit and miss but we'll see. When he hits it's always very good! I'll let you know what I think man.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/31/2018 00:23
  • Post subject:
Ok Seth I listened to Beck's Colors. I was pretty impressed overall although I did feel it was a bit samey throughout. But the general pop-tastic 80's throwback vibe was one I liked so I did enjoy it. Although I felt it lacked a little variety it does not have a duff track. It has melodies and good beat-y strong structure. It was quite fresh too. My fave track was Wow. There are a few good songs called Wow. Kate Bush. Kylie Minogue. And now Beck. I want to listen to more of his albums now. I have only heard Mellow Gold, Odelay (which I think is overrated) and Morning Phase. I also like the song Deborah as used in the excellent film Baby Driver. That's a classic. I never knew that one before.

Remember readers of this thread - the next year chart to comment on is sethmadsen's Year chart for 1969.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2018 00:49
  • Post subject:
Yeah - I remember that now (Vulfpeck). Also, yes, Beck's album is a bit similar throughout. Wow is probably the best track, but all of it grew on me really well except for 7th heaven, a bit too far for me. I gotta check your album out again sometime. It's really intriguing. It's like Enya meets Portishead meets the more ambient side of U2. Definitely a lot of things I like about it. It hits all the right buttons, but nothing terribly passionate if that makes sense... sometimes that gets developed and understood later though. Dear Life, I'm So Free, Dreams, Colors, and Wow are probably the best tracks. What do you like most about London Grammar?

But yeah - excited for someone to hit me with their 1969 album.

Reminder of the rules:
1. Review one album from the suggested chart you weren't familiar with.
2. Suggest an album from 1969 I don't have on the list which you like and think I may like.
3. You post one of your own year charts.

• Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2018 01:46
  • Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:
Ok I am playing. Good game.

Last chart to be mentioned was baystateofhearts's Top albums of 2015.

I had a look through. A very nice, diverse chart. The few albums I know on it. I am wanting to improve my knowledge of 2010's music because I don't know a lot of it.

SO I am going with your recently posted rules:

2. I suggest an album from 2015 you don't have which I like and think you may like.

OK, here goes.

I picked:

But You Caint Use My Phone by Erykah Badu

I have heard a lot of good things about Ms Badu but aside from a couple of songs on alternative radio I never heard her. So I picked this mixtape album.

Man is it good! I love her cover of Drake's Hotline Bling, my favourite song of his. She makes it uniquely her own and mixes it up a bit. The whole album has a very smooth flow and she has a terrific voice. the cover of the Ray Parker Jr song Mr Telephone Man, originally sung by New Edition back in the 80s, I remember it fondly. Yes this is another great cover and its use made me laugh, partly cos of nostalgia. What's Yo Phone Number is pretty slick as well. And the last song, featuring her ex-partner Andre 3000, is very good too. I like his rap. I like how the whole album is about using the phone, what cell phone use does to us, missing calls, communication between people esp lovers.

It's a slick, sick album. It was a pleasure to listen to. Now I want to listen to more Erykah Badu albums.

Now for my recommendation to you.

I don't know if you like the band or not but number one album on my 2015 year list is this baby:

Blurryface by Twenty One Pilots

I adore this album. It's in my top 100 all-time chart. Let me know what you think Mr Bay.

Okay now for the hard choice. One of my year charts. I want to go 70's as it's my favourite decade for music (I second that emotion Bobby!). But as I want to improve my knowledge of 2010 charts I am gonna plump for a Ten's year. Ok got it.

Top 38 Music Albums of 2017 by Stover75

Let me know what you think, whomever is going to (hopefully) pick up this thread.

Glad you liked it! Her discography is amazing - not a bad record (although Worldwide Underground is not as good as the rest).

I listened to the singles from that Twenty One Pilots album back in 2015, and absolutely hated them. Based on the singles I've heard from that record and others, they're one of my least favorite bands of the decade. So I'm not going to listen to the album, knowing I'd give it a poor rating. Instead, I picked another album from your 2015 chart that I'd never heard before:

Short Movie by Laura Marling

It was beautiful folk and stands up well to her album from last year. Good music and lyrics that create a wonderful atmosphere. Thank you for the rec via your chart Very Happy
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/01/2018 16:23
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Stover75 wrote:
Ok I am playing. Good game.

Last chart to be mentioned was baystateofhearts's Top albums of 2015.

I had a look through. A very nice, diverse chart. The few albums I know on it. I am wanting to improve my knowledge of 2010's music because I don't know a lot of it.

SO I am going with your recently posted rules:

2. I suggest an album from 2015 you don't have which I like and think you may like.

OK, here goes.

I picked:

But You Caint Use My Phone by Erykah Badu

I have heard a lot of good things about Ms Badu but aside from a couple of songs on alternative radio I never heard her. So I picked this mixtape album.

Man is it good! I love her cover of Drake's Hotline Bling, my favourite song of his. She makes it uniquely her own and mixes it up a bit. The whole album has a very smooth flow and she has a terrific voice. the cover of the Ray Parker Jr song Mr Telephone Man, originally sung by New Edition back in the 80s, I remember it fondly. Yes this is another great cover and its use made me laugh, partly cos of nostalgia. What's Yo Phone Number is pretty slick as well. And the last song, featuring her ex-partner Andre 3000, is very good too. I like his rap. I like how the whole album is about using the phone, what cell phone use does to us, missing calls, communication between people esp lovers.

It's a slick, sick album. It was a pleasure to listen to. Now I want to listen to more Erykah Badu albums.

Now for my recommendation to you.

I don't know if you like the band or not but number one album on my 2015 year list is this baby:

Blurryface by Twenty One Pilots

I adore this album. It's in my top 100 all-time chart. Let me know what you think Mr Bay.

Okay now for the hard choice. One of my year charts. I want to go 70's as it's my favourite decade for music (I second that emotion Bobby!). But as I want to improve my knowledge of 2010 charts I am gonna plump for a Ten's year. Ok got it.

Top 38 Music Albums of 2017 by Stover75

Let me know what you think, whomever is going to (hopefully) pick up this thread.

Glad you liked it! Her discography is amazing - not a bad record (although Worldwide Underground is not as good as the rest).

I listened to the singles from that Twenty One Pilots album back in 2015, and absolutely hated them. Based on the singles I've heard from that record and others, they're one of my least favorite bands of the decade. So I'm not going to listen to the album, knowing I'd give it a poor rating. Instead, I picked another album from your 2015 chart that I'd never heard before:

Short Movie by Laura Marling

It was beautiful folk and stands up well to her album from last year. Good music and lyrics that create a wonderful atmosphere. Thank you for the rec via your chart Very Happy

No problem man
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 09/02/2018 04:06
  • Post subject:
For Seth,

That is a comprhensive list for 1969. I only had 12 albums on my mine, and 11 of those are in yours, 5 of which are in your top 10 so I like the chart and think I could get a lot from it. 1969 is my favourite year of the 60s. Makes it hard to leave a recommendation though (maybe some other users can jump in and help with that), so I can only suggest the one album on my chart that's not on yours.

Philosophy Of The World by The Shaggs

If you've aleady heard it I suggest a re-listen, and if not I think of it as a must listen, that like it or not is worth checking out at least once. A polarising album which is totally understandable but it is good for active listening. There are things to hear and it goes places you don't expect (not all of them good lol). When it comes down to it though I was entertained, usually with a smile on my face, and never bored, and for that I think of it as an album I enjoyed. Also their background story is fascinating and provides some context.

I listened to the highest ranked album on your chart that I haven't heard yet.

Stand! by Sly & The Family Stone

I could have gone for something easy that I know I would like but haven't gotten around to yet, like Donovan or Nick Drake, but I decided to voyage just outside of my comfort zone, and I'm glad I did. I haven't listened to much funk though I'd heard a few songs of this album before but they don't do justice to the whole album, apart from Don't Call Me Nigger, Whitey. Sex Machine was my favourite. I like epic songs I can lose myself in. Anyway a great listen from a band that has clearly influenced some of todays psych and post punk artists that I do listen too. So I should check out more from the funk scene of this era.

I am going to leave my 2016 chart. It's the first year of my increased access to music and availabilty of time and my first yearly chart of 100 entries. It has a distinctly Australian flavour and hopefully somebody finds something that piques their interest.

Top 100 Music Albums of 2016 by Purplepash

Reminder of the rules:
1. Review one album from the chart I wasn't familiar with.
2. I suggest an album from the year of the chart you don't have which I like and think you may like.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 15:27
  • Post subject:
Thanks PurplePash!

Although Nick Drake and Donovan are fantastic, I'm glad you took the time to review Stand! It's clearly a favorite of mine. Funk/Soul - fantastic songwriting full of hope, some of the best bass work ever recorded with pioneering bass fuzz and slap techniques... I just love it. And it's not afraid to jam out in blues forms or psychedelic forms. The full band sound makes me want to dance, and I almost never do.

What a recommendation. I wouldn't have tried listening to that on my own, but I actually learned a lot from listening to it. At first I thought... do they even know what rhythm is, and then I realized that perhaps they understand rhythm more than I do. Their vocals remind me a little bit of Gesang der Jünglinge. Long story short, at first I was like... is this even possible to consider good and by the end of it, I actually thought yes, it is a unique, innocent, almost demonized (in the 18th and 19th century "genius" way) record. Thanks for the rec and unique experience for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_the_World

Remember it's the next users turn to play by reviewing this chart:

Top 100 Music Albums of 2016 by Purplepash

Reminder of the rules:
1. Review one album from the chart I wasn't familiar with.
2. I suggest an album from the year of the chart you don't have which I like and think you may like.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 15:54
  • Post subject:
I can't say that I've listened to much (if any) Australian hip hop, so I picked this album.

Botanicals by Bilby

It was actually pretty good. Seems like a sincere kid, which is mostly what I dislike about the soundcloud scene of rappers. It reminds me a bit of the band WHY? if you're familiar with them. Just a small amount though.

I think you'd like this album if you haven't heard it yet.

Link

I recently completed a year chart for the first time.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=37060
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 09/03/2018 10:49
  • Post subject:

Before A Million Universes by Big Ups

Thanks for the above recommendation Tha1ChiefRocka. I am impressed that you picked something that is right up my alley as if you've known me and my music taste for years. I hadn't heard it before but I do remember hearing one song of theirs a couple of years ago on the radio and immediately adding the album to my spotify library to listen to at some stage, but I never got around to it, and today when I looked there it was, still there to be listened to. It was a great album, I really enjoyed it. Loud, powerful, angry at times but with some calm moments too. I got a Slint meets Fugazi vibe from it. Loved the lyric "Why live in the moment when the moment is broken" (or something like that....going by memory). Meet Where We Are was the highlight after one listen but it's a really solid album and I thought all of the songs were great.

It's cool that you chose probably one of the most obscure albums from my chart. The Australian hip hop scene is pretty strong and flourishing (with some quality stuff) but in this case apart from Bilby's mates and family, you and I might be the only people that have listened to that album Laughing . I always imagine myself in a remote place, camping, or in an isolated cabin somewhere surrounded by nature, listening to this album after a relaxing smoke. By the way I've added a WHY? album to that never ending, ever growing albums to listen to list of mine.

Glad you got something out of The Shaggs Seth!

Tha1ChiefRocka's chart is next for someone. Looks like an interesting chart!

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=37060
  • Visit poster's website