Kendrick Lamar wins the Pulitzer Prize in Music for DAMN.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rockdrigo

Bolivia

• Posted: 04/18/2018 16:58
  • Post subject: Kendrick Lamar wins the Pulitzer Prize in Music for DAMN.
I know what you are thinking, there's a Pulitzer Prize in Music?
He is the first non-classical or jazz artists to win the prize since it started in 1943. It's great that he is getting recognition from a more "elite" audience.
Though they have an explanation for Kendrick being the winner, many think that they are just trying to stay relevant. Also, apparently this was the first time the Pulitzer was trending on twitter.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/18/2018 20:30
  • Post subject:
Obviously they aren't that good if they've been around and no one's heard of them. I hope they start making more money now...
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 04/18/2018 22:50
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
no one's heard of them

???
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 04/19/2018 01:27
  • Post subject:
To put it bluntly a VERY quiet year for literature if DAMN gets the chocolates.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/19/2018 01:36
  • Post subject:
Yikes. Maybe the most overrated album I've ever heard. On any given year there are hundreds of better works across Classical, Jazz, Rock, etc. But before hearing about this I didn't even know they were handing this out in music, so...
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2018 02:32
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
On any given year there are hundreds of better works

Comments like that is why I would argue it is underrated (at least on websites like this and RYM) and am glad it won this award. Hundreds of better works in any given year? Cmon...that's a ridiculous statement.

TPAB is obviously more worthy of such an award if we're giving it to Kendrick, but still I'm glad DAMN won. If there is anyone out there who deserves to be the first hip-hop artist to win the award, it is Kendrick Lamar. So I am happy they at least got that right, even if they gave it to the wrong album in his discography. Some people still just refuse to accept that hip-hop is a form of higher art that can rival any genre in terms of creativity, I am glad the Pulitzer prize has moved on from this stupidity.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2018 03:39
  • Post subject:
there have been some incredible reactions

https://twitter.com/NewMusicDrama/statu...8145170432
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/19/2018 03:53
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
Comments like that is why I would argue it is underrated (at least on websites like this and RYM) and am glad it won this award. Hundreds of better works in any given year? Cmon...that's a ridiculous statement.

TPAB is obviously more worthy of such an award if we're giving it to Kendrick, but still I'm glad DAMN won. If there is anyone out there who deserves to be the first hip-hop artist to win the award, it is Kendrick Lamar. So I am happy they at least got that right, even if they gave it to the wrong album in his discography. Some people still just refuse to accept that hip-hop is a form of higher art that can rival any genre in terms of creativity, I am glad the Pulitzer prize has moved on from this stupidity.

Maybe they are like me and prefer DAMN to TPAB? Totally agreed otherwise.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/19/2018 19:39
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:

Nope, that's not the case but your sentiment is understandable. Though it certainly has its share of extraordinary albums, Hip Hop is still very far behind from rivaling the masterpieces of Classical, Jazz, and much of Rock, especially in terms of creativity and emotional/conceptual depth.

I do agree that TPAB was much better but Lamar is rather overrated in general (including TPAB, even though this is a very good album).

DAMN is a mediocre work and there are hundreds of albums/Jazz works/Classical works, any given year, that are better. It (honestly) wouldn't even make my top 30,000 works of art of all time, and doesn't deserve mention among the many great albums of Hip Hop. It was a very poor choice for the award and will not seem so substantial once Lamar's career is no longer being viewed through the prism of its current hype-machine-spin-cycle.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/20/2018 00:31
  • Post subject:
Lol u really think you know better than the Pulitzer ppl lmao
  • Visit poster's website