Discography's of talented Rock Bands

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/06/2018 06:43
  • Post subject: Discography's of talented Rock Bands
O.K. so I'm willy nilly searching for great music by different bands and I noticed that 4 rock bands, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Rush, and Santana are really talented and are therefore charting well on my personal charts; So, instead of willy nilly searching for great music, I will try to listen to the entire discographies of these four bands, including relistening to what I have already heard from them. I really want to make a log about this because it seems such a mammoth undertaking rn.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/06/2018 17:27
  • Post subject:
I know people aren't really that excited about the rock Big 4 but this is a really exciting moment for me, I'll likely never live it again!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2018 17:41
  • Post subject:
Enjoy.

I really enjoyed listening to the entire discographies of the top 100 ranked on this site (wishing I documented it back in 2012). I'd love to hear your insights as you listen Smile

https://www.besteveralbums.com/bandstats.php

I suppose the "Big 4" according to that list are: Radiohead, Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/06/2018 19:01
  • Post subject:
my list is more objective Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/06/2018 19:07
  • Post subject:
Alright I am starting with Tull because I feel they have the most room for growth for me and I feel that once I grow to appreciate them more they will become my favorite band (maybe). So the earliest Tull album I can find on BEA is This Was in 1968, then next will be Stand Up from 1969. Haven't heard these albums yet because the 60s are not in my "safe zone" like the 70s and the 80s are, although I think I've heard more 60s albums than 90s albums. I dunno.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/06/2018 22:15
  • Post subject:
Alright so I just finished This Was and I may call it a day for my diary after my review, depends on how I feel. The album this reminded me of most was At Fillmore East by the Allman Brothers, although I think At Fillmore East was a little bit better. Like Fillmore East, It barely makes a 95 because I am not that into Jazzy, Bluesy Music. If its complex I want it to be the complexity of western music, not "unclean" Jazz music. Take John Coltrane's Love Supreme for example; That is destroying the competition in the Genre Olympics but I only gave it a 90. If that's a 90 what's the rest of the Jazz field look like?
Also I think the Saxophone is more of a Jazz instrument than the flute. With the flute it sounds like he's playing Smooth Jazz, which is widely regarded as bad.
Also, was Mozart right in not putting much faith in the flute? Its a very tame instrument imo, although Jethro Tull does the best job I've seen trying to make it "cool". Maybe I would like the flute more if I was a girl, who knows. In any case I feel like Ian Anderson is severely handicapped by his instrument. (The Bassoon on the other hand, can play louder and can sound other worldly in the high registers. Maybe he should have learned the Bassoon)
This is great for a debut album though. Usually debut albums don't score as high as 95.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/06/2018 22:32
  • Post subject:
A note on ratings, I give out ratings like 85-100 usually, because If I find it worth listening to in entirety, then it deserves a much higher rating than most of what is on the overall chart. I feel no reason to give my favorite artists low scores when garbage like Trout Mask Replica is dominating the charts. (There's enough good stuff on the overall chart to make it useful though, especially for really old music)
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/07/2018 22:54
  • Post subject:
O.K. so I'm tired of listening to this opera I've heard a zillion times so next is 1969s Stand Up
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/07/2018 23:21
  • Post subject:
OMG IAN IS NOT EMPOWERING FAT PEOPLE. lol
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/07/2018 23:45
  • Post subject:
All right, so I guess for Stand Up I guess Ian was totally in charge so I guess that translates to 'better" (which translates to more popular?). There is a lot less annoying flute-y Smooth Jazz, and its got some cool folksy portions. I also like some of the hard rock-like guitar solos that are super cool. Indeed a very diverse set of influences are found on this album. Its still a 95, but it will chart better on my 70s chart, which is what really matters.
On second thought I'm not sure its significantly better than the first album to justify its increased popularity. Maybe critics and radio had something against the original guy that left for this album? I'm glad critics and radio aren't as powerful anymore with increased access to music. They sure are jerks. Smile
  • Visit poster's website